KEF Mu7 Noise Cancelling Wireless Headphones
Mar 11, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #167 of 176
A bit of an obscure question.

If I use 3.5 wired with ANC on, does the Bluetooth module shut off? Just trying to cut down exposure when I’m sitting at my desk and not on the go.

My guess it does, since it can’t output 2 signals at once, like it shouldn’t be searchable? Or I can’t use 3.5 with anc at all?

Thanks

Mar 29, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #168 of 176
A bit of an obscure question.

If I use 3.5 wired with ANC on, does the Bluetooth module shut off? Just trying to cut down exposure when I’m sitting at my desk and not on the go.

My guess it does, since it can’t output 2 signals at once, like it shouldn’t be searchable? Or I can’t use 3.5 with anc at all?

Thanks
Yup. In my experience wiring the headphones shuts down ANC and Bluetooth.

This being the case, I have my own question - I presume that also means that aptX HD is no longer active as this is a Bluetooth codec, and the quality of sound is purely dictated my the source? I only ask because I am running my MU7s with an iFi Hip Dac which is (occasionally) providing a source quality greater than aptX HD can deal with.

Sep 8, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #169 of 176
Small update here:

I have already returned my KEF Mu7 and changed it with Sony XM5 with 700 HKD rebate.

I sometimes would miss my good ol' KEF.

I was strolling in local Hifi Expo of this year, and the price slashed hard like 500 HKD (65 USD) as retail price. I came in like it was 1-2 hours away from the end of the day and I didn't give it a listen.

KEF can do so much more and much better, but Mu7 is somewhat underwhelming in some critical way, most notably cracks. I've seen local stars wearing these, I've also seen billboard ads on Tsim Sha Tsui (a very prestigious tourist district), but they didn't sell hard like Sony XM5. Like I was the only one who wore it.

Finally, XM5 did came with 3 months Tidal, that kills the game inevitably as Sony got the power and money to do so.

"Come on KEF, do something..." pokes Dom.

Sep 8, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #170 of 176
Small update here:

I have already returned my KEF Mu7 and changed it with Sony XM5 with 700 HKD rebate.

I sometimes would miss my good ol' KEF.

I was strolling in local Hifi Expo of this year, and the price slashed hard like 500 HKD (65 USD) as retail price. I came in like it was 1-2 hours away from the end of the day and I didn't give it a listen.

KEF can do so much more and much better, but Mu7 is somewhat underwhelming in some critical way, most notably cracks. I've seen local stars wearing these, I've also seen billboard ads on Tsim Sha Tsui (a very prestigious tourist district), but they didn't sell hard like Sony XM5. Like I was the only one who wore it.

Finally, XM5 did came with 3 months Tidal, that kills the game inevitably as Sony got the power and money to do so.

"Come on KEF, do something..." pokes Dom.
Forgot to mention: the goddamn XM5's headband still going hard boi... KEF's Headband is too fragile and plastic-ky comparing Space One or M500 with chunky design...

If it was using aluminum headband, the KEF would have a chance on challenging XM5. Sadly it didn't.

I wonder how would they sound in Tidal tho... I was using Spotify and YouTube to listen to my KEF and V-Moda...

Sep 8, 2023 at 5:04 PM Post #171 of 176
Forgot to mention: the goddamn XM5's headband still going hard boi... KEF's Headband is too fragile and plastic-ky comparing Space One or M500 with chunky design...

If it was using aluminum headband, the KEF would have a chance on challenging XM5. Sadly it didn't.

I wonder how would they sound in Tidal tho... I was using Spotify and YouTube to listen to my KEF and V-Moda...
My post #4 in this thereat warns of KEF build quality. It's sad things haven't changed.

Jan 9, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #172 of 176
New KEF Mu7 Noise Cancelling Wireless Headphones.

https://eu.kef.com/pages/mu7

img-pdcp-mu7-stn05-ftts.jpg_723d31.jpg
I opted for the MU7 headphones for my Christmas. They lasted four uses! I wore them indoors and outdoors and then on a long train journey to London. I wear spectacles regularly but this didn't cause any discomfort. In fact the MU7 are ultra comfortable to wear. On my train journey I received a phone call. The headset does not have transparency so I gently switched off the headset which is on the RHS and took the call. The ear piece was behind my ear during the call. At the end of my call I brought the earpiece to my ear again and realised there no tension in the headset. The pivot arm on the right had broken off without and impact or dropping. I've have returned it under warranty to KEF via the retailer. KEF have suggested I dropped which I didn't and are not repairing under the warranty. Checking HiFi forums, I ascertained that this is known issue that may be related to design and stress testing of the pivot port. I'm disappointed with KEF as I've used their 5.1 speaker package for a number for years with no issue. In the short term I've borrowed by son's spare Sony MX4s and found it that they have a better sound quality than KEF's. In conclusion be wary of the MU7 and it's fragility. Aesthetically pleasing but prone to breaking easily.

Jan 13, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #174 of 176
What KEF is yet to realise is that unlike speakers people handle and wear headphones.

Jan 14, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #175 of 176
Update. KEF are not covering the repair of the headphones under warranty. They’ve ignored my url links highlighting the MU7 weakness from other customers. They have said the headphones were dropped when I clearly stated they hadn’t. I’ve requested a refund as I’m not paying for an evident fault in design. Going for B&W PS7 S2 this time and won’t be replacing my KEF 5.1 speakers with anything related to KEF.

Feb 15, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #176 of 176
I opted for the MU7 headphones for my Christmas. They lasted four uses! I wore them indoors and outdoors and then on a long train journey to London. I wear spectacles regularly but this didn't cause any discomfort. In fact the MU7 are ultra comfortable to wear. On my train journey I received a phone call. The headset does not have transparency so I gently switched off the headset which is on the RHS and took the call. The ear piece was behind my ear during the call. At the end of my call I brought the earpiece to my ear again and realised there no tension in the headset. The pivot arm on the right had broken off without and impact or dropping. I've have returned it under warranty to KEF via the retailer. KEF have suggested I dropped which I didn't and are not repairing under the warranty. Checking HiFi forums, I ascertained that this is known issue that may be related to design and stress testing of the pivot port. I'm disappointed with KEF as I've used their 5.1 speaker package for a number for years with no issue. In the short term I've borrowed by son's spare Sony MX4s and found it that they have a better sound quality than KEF's. In conclusion be wary of the MU7 and it's fragility. Aesthetically pleasing but prone to breaking easily.
I would think it would be up to KEF to prove the headphones were dropped. Regardless, I’m not interested in buying products from a company that makes it so difficult to get warranty service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back