Kitchen stereo recommendations around $1k?
Aug 13, 2016 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

baglunch

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone have any recommendations for a kitchen 2.1 stereo setup?

We've currently got a Pioneer Elite XC-Z9 and while we generally like it, we don't like that the subwoofer isn't controllable (for volume) from the receiver, and we'd also like bluetooth or wifi capability.

I'd rather not go over $1,000, but I'd be willing to entertain strong contenders that are a bit more.

What else can I tell you?  And thanks!

Aug 13, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #2 of 5
Do you like the speakers you currently have? Could just use them with a different receiver.

Do you need a CD player? What features do you need, do you use? Size constraints?

What make/model subwoofer do you have?

Also, some subwoofers have speaker level inputs and outputs. So you run the speaker out on the receiver to the sub and then connect the speakers to the sub so that the sub is controlled by the speaker output.

Aug 13, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 5
  Does anyone have any recommendations for a kitchen 2.1 stereo setup?

We've currently got a Pioneer Elite XC-Z9 and while we generally like it, we don't like that the subwoofer isn't controllable (for volume) from the receiver, and we'd also like bluetooth or wifi capability.

I'd rather not go over $1,000, but I'd be willing to entertain strong contenders that are a bit more.

What else can I tell you?  And thanks!

Check out if any of these have a subwoofer gain control on the bundled remotes.
http://www.edifier.com/us/en/speakers/2.1-subwoofer

Aug 13, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 5
Do you like the speakers you currently have? Could just use them with a different receiver.

Do you need a CD player? What features do you need, do you use? Size constraints?

What make/model subwoofer do you have?

Also, some subwoofers have speaker level inputs and outputs. So you run the speaker out on the receiver to the sub and then connect the speakers to the sub so that the sub is controlled by the speaker output.

- The current speakers are decent.  Not sure the acoustics of my kitchen are compatible with critical listening, anyway.  Good point that this may be a place to save money.

- CD player is still useful, but a good wifi or bluetooth connection would go a long way toward obsoleting CD needs.  I've made my wife a bunch of CD mixes over the years, but it would be easy to duplicate these into playlists.  Might be nice if it supported Plex?  We don't listen to any radio.  Size constraint is that it would be nice to fit in the 16" x 16" space that the current receiver is in, but this is a less consideration as we can move some things around if need be.

- Subwoofer is an SVS SB-1000... here's a picture of the back... is what you are saying possible with this sub?  We have the sub very inconvenient to access up on a high shelf in the kitchen, so we just leave the volume set for moderately loud listening, which makes quiet music sound bad. 

Aug 13, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 5
Nice sub. I have one :D

No. It doesn't have speaker level outputs. If you got a stereo receiver that has A and B speaker hookups, you could connect speakers to the A and the SB-1000 to the speaker level inputs it has.

Might be bigger than you want, but Denon and some of the other AVR manufacturers have bluetooth and other features in their basic models.: https://www.amazon.ca/Denon-AVR-S510BT-Channel-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B00YAO43YG/. Note how there is a USB port on the front. You can use a flash drive to playback mp3, wav, flac, or aac. No more CD burning.

That would leave you money for new speakers if you wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back