[kiteki review] Skullcandy Aviator | Skullcandy G.I. | Skullcandy HESH | Skullcandy Icon | SKULLCANDY UPROCK
Sep 9, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #16 of 34
That's how they earn your money with their plastic headphones.
wink.gif

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #17 of 34

I decided against the logo on my custom IEM, I went with something else, would have been cool though.

I'm reviving this thread because I revisited Skullcandy again in a store like that and I found the Uprock, the Uprock is the best sounding Skullcandy to me, I bought three of them (two for xmas presents).

I think these are true to their name, they seem tailored for vocals, electric guitar and percussion, they have a very unique sound.

It says "twin driver" on the box, I thought that was just advertising, but after peeling off an earpad and looking at the driver, they actually do have twin drivers, like a speaker cone with a tweeter at the centre.

If you're looking for a change of pace from your reference quality headphones and just want extremely involving vocals and guitar with distinct percussion in a hazy vintage sound, then these are for you.

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #18 of 34
Sorry for reviving this thread, but from watching this forum for a while, I think you're one of the only Head-Fi'ers that don't bash Skullcandy for 127% of your post.

And I might check out the G.I., they come in gold and it looks amazing.

Dec 15, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #21 of 34
My school sells new Aviators for $70. I'm kinda leaning to get a pair. Sampled them before at a store and they actually sounded pretty nice, but weren't worth the $150. But with my school discount, they're suddenly extremely attractive.

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:
I cant believe this, the aviators were the best headphones and you chose the worst. No offense or anything, but im guessing you're not an audiophile.

there called personal opinions.

Jun 28, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #24 of 34
There is nothing wrong with getting into cheap headphones.

If you are wearing headphones consistently outside there is a really good chance that you are going to break them. If you can afford to break $400 headphones, great.

Cheap "OK" headphones have a function for Head-Fi members allowing them to be more careless outside use.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 28, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #25 of 34
WOW. You are really misleading people with this thread. I know some people might say that this is your personal opinion but I completely disagree in this case. A few people I know got uprocks for Christmas. I tried them and they were TERRIBLE. The Aviators were the best out of that bunch by far and they can even compete with the M50 and SRH840's. Tyll from Innerfidelity and Jude both really enjoyed the Aviators. The Hesh is supposed to be a pretty good headphone and the GI is just terrible. I really hope this i a joke... 

Jun 30, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #26 of 34
Relax, people. It's all subjective in this hobby. I personally find the Aviators to be very natural-sounding (and much better amped) but I'm not going to shoot down someone else's preferences. Would've kept mine if they isolated better and had better build quality (their BQ is not bad, but certainly not great).

Jun 30, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #27 of 34
What about Hesh 2.0? Seems like a quite big improvement to the original. Can this one stand up to other manufacturers' offerings possibly?

Jun 30, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #28 of 34
i miss my skullcandy skullcrushers from 2005,  nothing was more fun for listening to bassy music.......... head rattling and all that.  Would have loved to have paired that with a zo.  Sister uses a fluffy white pair i posted on the rigs thread a few days ago.... pure garbage.

Jul 4, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #29 of 34
Sorry I haven't seen this thread in half a year or so.

Isn't there a significant price difference between the Uprock and the Aviator?

It's possible the Aviator while sounding more reference just didn't interest me at all since I'm used to more higher end 'reference' or 'studio monitor' sounding headphones, while the Uprock interested me for their involvement and colour.

It's possible the Aviator can compete with the Shure SRH-840 but when I directly A/B'd the SRH-840 / SRH-940 when they were new I was much more impressed by the SRH-940 and it's become very popular in studios too so my taste isn't unusual or anything.

There is one user which thinks the KRK KNS8400 competes with the SRH-940 so that's another headphone to consider.

In the looks department clearly the Aviator is the winner.

Hope that helps?

Jul 6, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #30 of 34
Hey guys I went back to that store tonight!

You can't use your own source or listen to your own music.  There's just some dials on the wall, the same songs as last time.

I tried the Sennheiser HD25-II and the Aviator, and then the Uprock.  Actually my impressions are identical to in 2011, the Aviator is pretty decent and nice, on a similar level to the HD25-II in different ways...

...but the Uprock is just AWESOME, it is the best sounding cheap headphone I've heard.  It sounds like a 'vintage car radio' are the first words which come to mind, it's just emotional and colourful in ways with that alternative rock track.

Via pure luck I also demoed the Skullcandy Mix Master Mike tonight too, at a shopping mall I never visit, with my own source and music this time.  The MMM is clearly the best Skullcandy, clearly above the Aviator, it really is a nice sounding headphone.  I rank it above the Sennheiser HD25-II and Audio Technica AD700 which I demoed tonight as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back