Klipsch's NEW line of Reference X IEMs (X6i, XR8i, X12i, X20i)
Mar 13, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #136 of 167
Tried the x12i again today. The highs are very very weak. It is not a problem of rolled off treble, its that these are INCAPABLE of producing decent treble extension. The little treble they can manage sounds bad too. It sounds suppressed, compressed and muffled, as though there is a blanket covering them. On other iems with rolled off treble, when i use treble boost on my walkman, there is a noted boost in highs. But on the X12is, the difference is very small. When i first started off my audio journey, I didn't find these an issue as I did not have any other good iems to compare to. But now, after owning many iems/headphones with good treble extension, I find these lacking. To me, this is a severe weakness for something at the 200-300usd range. 

What did you expect? It's a single BA that's sold on marketing and reputation.

Mar 13, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #137 of 167
What did you expect? It's a single BA that's sold on marketing and reputation.
It's actually not that bad. Maybe not worth the price tag but what iem really is. It also really scales well with an amp and better dac then a smartphone. And it's extremely comfortable. Not really keen on the cable though. It's too stiff.plus it's more of a mid centric iem.

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #138 of 167
I still swap between the x20 and Campfire Audio Andromeda and though the Andromeda bring a soundstage and openness like open head phones (using Ether Flow and Hd580  upgraded), the x20 are amazing travel companions. The small size, tough cable with the remote means they travel will me most of the time and SQ is still great to me. When these are at a normal pricing (people still pay a lot for 2 BA regardless), they should have  a better following. I still do not perceive the distortion we discuss near a year ago and wonder if that is more of a personal ear canal resonance.

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #139 of 167
  I still swap between the x20 and Campfire Audio Andromeda and though the Andromeda bring a soundstage and openness like open head phones (using Ether Flow and Hd580  upgraded), the x20 are amazing travel companions. The small size, tough cable with the remote means they travel will me most of the time and SQ is still great to me. When these are at a normal pricing (people still pay a lot for 2 BA regardless), they should have  a better following. I still do not perceive the distortion we discuss near a year ago and wonder if that is more of a personal ear canal resonance.

Perhaps some people are more sensitive to certain types of distortion than others. Either that, or some people including me got defective units. If you don't hear a drastic difference in sound quality between the essentially distortion-less Andromeda and the X20i, my guess is there was something wrong with my X20i. I still use my X10, and they sounded better to me than the X20i when I had them. Also, have you done any direct comparisons of the X20i to the HD580? I compared my HD650 with them, and while the X20i had a somewhat open sound, the veiled distortion I was hearing was much more prominent with direct comparisons. Even though it's not really fair to compare IEMs and open backs. 

Mar 16, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #140 of 167
I have found that some of the ear-tips make a larger that should be difference with them. I wonder if their dimensions could perhaps cause some sort of ear canal resonance. Haven't had that level of change with any of omg past deep inserts in past:  X5,ER4S, ER4PT, and since these use a mechanical xover that could be it. You aren't the only one to not that and the innerfidellity plots show a distortion at the acoustical x-over. Is that showing it, is it something people have seen and make it real or what-not, I dont know but I do not feel too under gunned with the x20.

I've been using the 580 with 600 grilles and 650 cables since I talked to Tylle  over 20 years ago when I got them and the ER4S with a Headroom Supreme. The 580 and higher are so similar to me and they all have a good open sound. Ill give you a good example of Ether Flow, X20i and Andromeda listening to a disturbed live at red rocks.  The Andromeda with low OI amp reminds me of a real live show. One point I hear mic overload/ compression on all but the X20 and the Ether dont have the weight to be like the real deal. The X20 is better than the EF but I would like a meeting int he middle sizzle wise. Straight out of the iPhone the andromeda have the same weight but as other two and less realistic but the rest of the presentation like air and detail still have a decided advantage (and the x20 are neutral so makes sense).  I like my Senn but need a little more presence and bottom end.  All are amazing and if only HP you would otherwise be happy.  The X20 with rugged cable, remote+mic and easy pocket ability are hard to deny. 

Oh, and the openness of the Andromeda are right there with the open backs

May 4, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #142 of 167
Can I get more info on the X12i? Comparisons to other single balanced armatures and perhaps more on it's scalability? I have heard the Fischer Audio SBA-03 but not any Ety and would love a possible comparison to either. I would have been fine with the SBA-03 if it wasn't so sharp in the lower treble. The X12i's graph at innerfidelity looks good in that regard but I'd still like to hear feedback on upper mid to lower treble transition. Also curious how they keep up with the others on bass speed. I appreciate any feedback.

Aug 21, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #143 of 167
Well, one of the wires on my x20i gave up the ghost. No obvious event just notices sound was cutting out. The insulation is torn where the connector is. Need to call Klipsch to see how they handle it.

Sep 15, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #144 of 167
Just bought a X20i on ebay for an amazing $193 (full retail box, leather pouch, etc.) At this price it has to be the best audiophile IEM value on the market today. Back when it first came out the only negative reviews were the high price!

What's a good replacement foam tips for the x20i? Has anyone tried Comply 100 or 500?
What about replacement (shorter) wires?

I've also looked into wirelss options (neckband, true-wireless earbuds, over-the-ear) with or without active noise cancellation. None of them came close to being audiophile quality, with Sony MDR-1000X being the closest. The X12i Neckband is essentially the same as the wired X12i but I found the sound quality lackluster compared to my old x11. I may eventually get a wireless for active outdoor use where audiophile quality is not needed (sony WI1000x)

Sep 15, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #145 of 167
Agreed. Best sounding dual BA. Sadly after markets cables aren't available. I think there was potential to offer other cable options with its proprietary smmcx connectors, but the plan was canned probably due the initial high price and lack of sales. I also have a refurbished unit and it is good as new. I do wish the volume control worked on my smartphone. I used Comply ts100 tips and wash them every other week to keep them looking and performing like new.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #146 of 167
Is your X20i a refurb?

How does your X20i compare to your X11?

Sep 16, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #147 of 167
Klipsch thoughts:

I've been a fan of the X series for a long time. I have an old X10 that I still use for work and working out. They're a great moderately priced universal headphone. Comfort is everything for me when it comes to an IEM that I'm going to be married to for hours at a time. The X series has always had terrific comfort.

When the X11i was released, Amazon had a special around the holidays and I bought in-- it was more of the same, but slightly more bass and a bit more clarity.

I purchased the X20i on eBay refurbished for $200. A massive leap forward, without sacrificing that comfort I've come to love about the X series. I was between the Klipsch and the Audeze iSine series. I think I made the right choice.

I also own UERMs, they are customs. They have better detail and isolation, as anything reference grade should have, but they're not good for listening to music as the X series. The UERMs are equalized flat. The X series have a V shape equalization. The X series is far more comfortable than the customs. The UERMs are fatiguing after an hour or two.

I think the X20s are as good as it gets in a universal fit. I've had many universal fit earbuds over the years-- probably 20 pairs or so-- everything from HifiMan to Beats. The X20i is the best universal I've heard to date. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, if you have the money. They stow away extremely compact for travel. It's an ideal universal fit.

My rig is the Astell & Kerns AK240 with a Chord Hugo (series 1) and an ALO Continental V5 tube amp. The Continental adds some warmth, but is unnecessary, IMO.

Sep 16, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #148 of 167
I've really been enjoying the X12 Bluetooth Neckband.

I'm not a huge fan of BT, but these are pretty good. Love the ergonomics and comfort, and the sound is very pleasant.

Sep 17, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #149 of 167
In terms of sound quality I would rank X20 > X11 > X12
As reeltime has mentioned, there is a giant leap from X11 to X20. I wouldn't say it's comparable from Dr Dre to HD800, more like from HD600 to HD800S. Listen to Murray Perahia's Goldberg Variations on both and the X20 makes the piano tones fuller and more lovely. The difference is definitely noticeable. Next to my flagship desktop gear the X20 has narrower soundstage but comparable SQ.

Auditioned the Audeze iSINE at Canjam L.A. earlier this year. More impressed with the over-the-top design than the sound or the comfort. I think I would look ridiculous wearing that thing. lol. Out of the entire Audeze lineup I auditioned my favorite was the LCD-3. The LCD-4 is totally not worth the 4k price tag (for that price I would get the Focal Utopia).

Don't have a fancy portable player but the sound coming out my LG V20's quad-dac headphone jack is pretty sweet. I'm glad LG keeps the headphone jack in the new V30 while everyone else is going wireless.

Speaking of wireless, I'm particularly interested in the new Sony WI1000X neckband for the two features -- (1) cable management system, (2) surround sound settings simulating external loudspeakers. The X12 neckband is fine for active outdoor use but the dangling earbuds are a problem.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back