knife-fi?
Aug 31, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #16 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mini_c.jpg

Anyone else find this incredibly neat?

Isn't a butterfly knife that short kinda hard to open/close?
Quote:

Too bad they're ~ $200, illegal to import, illegal to own, and illegal to carry in Texas.
mad.gif

They're illegal in New York too.... but what cop is gonna waste his time of day looking for an obscure pocket knife (I would also wager that the average cop does not know the legalities of a switchblade or butterfly of the top of his head)? They're more worried about the guy in front of the Burger King with the Highlander™ replica katana tucked into his belt (Yes, I actually saw a guy wearing that at Burger King).

I had a damascus tanto blade balisong a few years back... some no good low-life stole it
mad.gif

My current arsenal include a cheap Frost™ folder (opening mail & boxes) and mostly Wusthof™ Classic kitchen knives. (The bread knife is generic).

Aug 31, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #17 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Microtech Halo II and a Microtech Ultratech II

DSC01400.jpg

DSC01413.jpg

HOLY **** those are cool. must be a bitch to sharpen though, i regret getting the partially serrated kershaw leek because im never really going to cut rope...

i still totally love the SOG Flash II though. its my everyday carry and is durable as hell. i use the leek as a money clip.

Aug 31, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #18 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Himself /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HOLY **** those are cool. must be a bitch to sharpen though, i regret getting the partially serrated kershaw leek because im never really going to cut rope...

i still totally love the SOG Flash II though. its my everyday carry and is durable as hell. i use the leek as a money clip.

Nope, I have a EdgePro sharpening system... fantastic investment if you are a knife collector.

Sep 3, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #19 of 2,248
i have the boring basic stuff Buck 110 a couple swiss army knives from both companies and a large collection of knock-offs

then there's my not quite knives but some of them are knife-ish...

the bayonets (one on bottom right of photo is no longer in my collection)
bayonets.jpg

for those interested

left side top to bottom
Swiss M1918 (for K31 rifle)
Spanish CETME bayonet
British P1907 bayonet (for SMLE)

right side top to bottom
Austrian M95 bayonet
de-ringed bayonet (or ex-bayonet) for M1895 Chilean Mauser
Spanish M1943 (for M1943 (infantry) and M1944 (air force) rifles)
German SG 84/98 Mod.III (for K98k rifle)
Russian M91 bayonet
Russian 91/30 bayonet

Sep 3, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #20 of 2,248
I have always held a fascination for well crafted knives, my brother in law started making knives as a hobby which inspired me to have a go too. This is my dive knife which was based on a Navy Seal blade from a few years ago.

The other knives in this folder are a few of the examples of my B-I-L's work, I have the good fortune of owning 2 of them.

My basic carry knife is a trusty Wenger which is still good after 20+ years of use. For more sturdy work, I use a KISS skeleton blade. thanks all for sharing..dB

image is not uploading for some reason?

Sep 5, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #21 of 2,248
Some of my favorite knives that I currently have:

Microtech Hawk like the one picture below except with damascus blade

mt_hawk.jpg

Microtech Ultratech D/E like the one pictured below except with non moly coated blade:

microtech_ultra_tech_d_e_black_plain_l.jpg

Microtech U.D.T. like the one pictured below except with damascus blade and mother of pearl inlaid thumb button:

h1bs.jpg

Benchmade Rukus with serrated blade:

phpSIFf67.jpg

Benchmade Resistor auto:

BEN4200BT.jpg

Sep 5, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #22 of 2,248
added to my bladed instrument that isn't exactly a knife collection

9407ot6.jpg

also have a leather handled version coming in

Sep 7, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #23 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
31071-200.jpg

Not quite what you're talking about but it works great in the kitchen for me
icon10.gif

Wusthof > any other kitchen knives

classic.gif

Sep 8, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #25 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wusthof > any other kitchen knives

classic.gif

Henckel, Sabatier, Shun. My mom works at Williams Sonoma, we have lots of nice cooking knives.

Sep 10, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #26 of 2,248
The Scott Cook Small Owyhee Ironwood Hunter was delivered yesterday. It’s really nice. I was hoping this would satisfy my desire for a Lochsa. No dice- If the Owyhee Hunter is this nice the Lochsa must be amazing.

Scott Cook stopped taking orders over 2 years ago.

SC1.JPG

SC2.JPG

SC3.JPG

SC4.JPG

SC5.JPG

SC6.JPG

SC7.JPG

SC8.JPG

SC9.JPG

Mitch

Sep 10, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #27 of 2,248
is anybody into the Cold Steel knives?

GI Tanto
80FT.jpg

Tai Pan
cs-13ddc.jpg

One of the various rescue knives
433994_d.jpg

if you look up cold steel on youtube, youll find their various stress testing videos which involves plunging the knives through car hoods and doors and the knives are actually sharp enough to dive through the metal without the tip even bending a bit.

also the knives can cut through a 2" thick piece of rope in a single slash.

those things are crazy. the only thing that could easily damage a cold steel knife, is possibly another cold steel.

Sep 10, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #28 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Himself /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is anybody into the Cold Steel knives?

GI Tanto
80FT.jpg

Tai Pan
cs-13ddc.jpg

One of the various rescue knives
433994_d.jpg

if you look up cold steel on youtube, youll find their various stress testing videos which involves plunging the knives through car hoods and doors and the knives are actually sharp enough to dive through the metal without the tip even bending a bit.

also the knives can cut through a 2" thick piece of rope in a single slash.

those things are crazy. the only thing that could easily damage a cold steel knife, is possibly another cold steel.

Typical CS BS. There knives aren't bad, but they don't live up to their reputation, so generally, avoid them.

Brendan

Sep 10, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #29 of 2,248
i dont know, they arent all that expensive and those youtube videos look pretty convincing. the knives to avoid for me are anything from a swap meet, and anything made by BMF.

i noticed that my kershaw isnt really good at anything except for a common everyday carry and to cut boxes at work (computer store).

the SOG Trident looks very very appealing right now. i cant get a fixed blade because you cant conceal those, they are rather large, and very intimidating and cause for alarm when you pull them out in public, so im into assisted opener folders right now.

if i were to get a fixed knife, itd be for a camping trip and a tanto blade would look wicked, they offer the kershaw random leek, which is mine but with better steel and in tanto for 20 dollars more. id heartily recommend it because the kershaw leek isnt really useful for anything in particular.

Sep 10, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #30 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Typical CS BS. There knives aren't bad, but they don't live up to their reputation, so generally, avoid them.

Brendan

Overhyped, yeah. And the owner is particulary annoying. But many are still excellent knives and excellent values at street price.

I mean really, how can you complain about performance like this for $20?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back