Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 4, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #18,646 of 64,119
Can You guys confirm that those KZ upgrade cables are actually silver coated or do they oxidize (turn greenish under PVC) after awhile?
So far I have gotten only one great silver coated cable from AE for relatively cheap price and it doesn`t oxidize and actually has low impedance as it should.
Not like Tennmak upgrade cable for example which has 1.2 Ohm impedance and oxidizes.

Mine is still fine after 7 months, but some have said theirs is starting to turn green.

Jul 4, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #18,647 of 64,119
So far I have gotten only one great silver coated cable from AE for relatively cheap price and it doesn`t oxidize and actually has low impedance as it should.

Can you share the name of the decent cable? I'm always on the lookout for decent upgrade bits, I kinda gave up on Ali recently......

Jul 4, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #18,648 of 64,119
Yeah pretty recently there were some pictures of greening silver cables.

Jul 4, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #18,649 of 64,119
Can You guys confirm that those KZ upgrade cables are actually silver coated or do they oxidize (turn greenish under PVC) after awhile?
Not like Tennmak upgrade cable for example which has 1.2 Ohm impedance and oxidizes.

Mine have all turned green under the pvc.

Jul 4, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #18,650 of 64,119
In my case, KZ silver cable turned green within 3 months of usage. Somebody in headfi forum stated that this was because the moisture build up on the cable, exposed to heat for longer duration, and the PVC have chemical reaction with the copper/coating, yadda yadda..... and thus turned it green.

Could have been the case tho, because I usually make it wet by using it when riding my bike while raining, and I live in tropical area. Still, take this info with a grain of salt.

LiZUNsR.jpg

Honestly, why even bother with it. It doesn't affect the performance at all, just a minor aesthetic issue.

Jul 4, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #18,651 of 64,119
In my case, KZ silver cable turned green within 3 months of usage. Somebody in headfi forum stated that this was because the moisture build up on the cable, exposed to heat for longer duration, and the PVC have chemical reaction with the copper/coating, yadda yadda..... and thus turned it green.

Could have been the case tho, because I usually make it wet by using it when riding my bike while raining, and I live in tropical area. Still, take this info with a grain of salt.

Honestly, why even bother with it. It doesn't affect the performance at all, just a minor aesthetic issue.

PVC is actually moisture-resistant, which is one of the reasons it's such a widespread wire insulator.

The reason for the discoloration of the conducting wire is because PVC has compounds in it (sulfur and others) that react with the copper to form oxides and/or sulfides, turning the conductor green or black. Cable manufacturers combat this discoloration by adding "copper passivators", such as BTA (benzotriazole).

As you pointed out, it technically doesn't hurt the cable or affect it's current carrying capacity, but it is aesthetically undesirable (especially with a clear insulator like we commonly see with the silver plated audio cables).

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #18,652 of 64,119
Well, my ZS5 turned up today, and the slightly leaner balance compared to the ZST works for me really well...

Interestingly, the eBay seller I bought from is probably on the forums somewhere, threw in a pair of "Daono 21" microdriver IEMs, mentioning head-fi...

Will have to try them out :)

Jul 4, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #18,653 of 64,119
Like what aleksanderp mentioned, go to http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php and scroll down to the "Wiring" section and check the polarity by testing "Center" (in phase) and "Twisted" (out of phase). If the IEM is in phase, you should hear the sound as dead center without hollowness eg. when you clcik "Center" you should hear a solid "dead center" sound without hollowness. When you click on "Twisted", you should hear the same sound but it will sound hollow. If that is the case, your IEM is wired correctly...if not your IEM is out of phase. If the sound is the other way around, just reverse the polarity of the cable only on one side of your IEM and check again. If this solves the phase problem then you've got your problem solved. Hope this helps.

My ZS5 are here!

Currently trying with the silver cable, and testing for this. I think they are OK with regard to phase!

Centre Is at a lower volume, but feels in one place.
Twisted sounds like it is louder, but has a slight bouncy-news between the two ears. Would that imply all is OK?

Also I tried the binaural test, and what the hell, I thought someone was knocked on my door and went to open it!

Going to test against my IE80 later (which I have moulded in ear tips) and will pass on feedback

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #18,654 of 64,119
Also I tried the binaural test, and what the hell, I thought someone was knocked on my door and went to open it!

Yes, I did that as well. Well, I told the wife to stop messing about knocking on the wall, followed by apologising and getting called a dickhead much to her amusement.

Jul 4, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #18,655 of 64,119
Yes, I did that as well. Well, I told the wife to stop messing about knocking on the wall, followed by apologising and getting called a dickhead much to her amusement.

Well now you missed him...

jesus-knocking-on-door.jpg

Jul 4, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #18,657 of 64,119

haha, that test gets me every time!

Jul 4, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #18,658 of 64,119
The ZS5 definitely cannot handle volume in the same way that the ZST can, which disappoints me slightly... great tonality for the money, but the ZS5 breaks up at relatively modest volumes, at least in my case, and I'm only using an iPhone 7S and Galaxy S8+

Keeping the volume in check the ZS5 is superior, but if wanting to crank up the volume is the aim of your game, the ZST is definitely the better of the two IMO.

Jul 4, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #18,659 of 64,119
The ZS5 definitely cannot handle volume in the same way that the ZST can, which disappoints me slightly... great tonality for the money, but the ZS5 breaks up at relatively modest volumes, at least in my case, and I'm only using an iPhone 7S and Galaxy S8+

Keeping the volume in check the ZS5 is superior, but if wanting to crank up the volume is the aim of your game, the ZST is definitely the better of the two IMO.

Are you using the stock cable with your S8+ ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back