Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 22, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #28,411 of 64,175
KZ ZSR have arrived. Nice and green and not too big. Good fit, included tips work well. First impression: significant progress in tonality! They sound open, airy, lively and have quite some shine and sparkle. Mids have presence. Dynamics are also good. And they are fun. In comparison to my ES3, ZS3, ZST, and ZS5 the sound of the ZSR lifts off the ground. On the downside, they may be a bit to much forward sounding for some, layering could be improved, and the bass could possibly a bit more focussed.

Overall, I am impressed and didn't expect this. Well done, KZ.

Now that's a deal at $24 CAD.

To be continued.

P.S. I think B9Scrambler's review characterizes the ZSR quite nicely.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #28,412 of 64,175
The jury is still out on the ED9. It has been catching dust for the last year but possibly wrongly so. I first followed every reviewer's recommendation and used them with the shiny "gold" filters that produced a big bass. The matte "bronze" filters were out of the question. But the ED9 were fatiguing to me, possibly a pushing mid-bass was the culprit - and they are really heavy.

One year later, and after appreciating the Tinaudio T2, I changed filters and find the matte ones appealing.

To be continued...

You are correct about the ED9 mid-bass. I diffuse it by wearing widebore (Whirlwind) eartips. The beautiful side effect is that the soundstage opens up nicely. Problem solved.

As always, eartips can make or break an IEMs presentation.

Side note:
My ZSR arrived as well though I haven't listened yet.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #28,413 of 64,175
The AAW Nebula One arrived in today's mail. Just had a quick listen before tossing them on the to-be-burned-in pile. I'll report more fully once they've got about 100 hours in if they are something good or special or especially bad, otherwise I probably won't say anything. Did take 10 minutes to roll through the ear tips provided to see if I could at least get a good seal and at least acceptable fit comfort wise. From that quick listen… Decent sub bass and bass, not quite enough to actually give the sensation of a rumble but close. No noticeable flabby bass or bad midrange creep. Highs seemed a bit subdued but nowhere near where I'd be saying thin or veiled. Nothing to report vocal wise, the pair of songs I played don't have good, let alone exceptional vocals so without a source really can't say anything. For the under $40 I've paid a more coherent sound than the hybrids in the $30-$50 range I have. See my profile for exactly which those are. Remember all this from just a quick listen so apply appropriate filters to the worth of the opinions expressed.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #28,415 of 64,175
I have recently seen Amazon UK lightning deals for the CM5 at £9.99. Check each night to see if they are scheduled for the next day. A lightning deal lasts for 4 hours.

Feb 22, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #28,416 of 64,175
KZ ZSR have arrived. Nice and green and not too big. Good fit, included tips work well. First impression: significant progress in tonality! They sound open, airy, lively and have quite some shine and sparkle. Mids have presence. Dynamics are also good. And they are fun. In comparison to my ES3, ZS3, ZST, and ZS5 the sound of the ZSR lifts off the ground. On the downside, they may be a bit to much forward sounding for some, layering could be improved, and the bass could possibly a bit more focussed.

Overall, I am impressed and didn't expect this. Well done, KZ.

Now that's a deal at $24 CAD.

To be continued.

P.S. I think B9Scrambler's review characterizes the ZSR quite nicely.

Glad you're enjoying them. Those are two areas imo are where the ZS6 is simply the better earphone, and why I say the ZSR is more of a side grade than an upgrade. Still the ZSR's more realistic tone and timbre and general coherence gives it the edge to my ears. This is a case where I'm willing to give up some technical competence since it's just more satisfying to listen to than the ZS6, in most cases.

Feb 22, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #28,417 of 64,175
Where do you get the Whirlwind cheapest?
Just search on Aliexpress.com. Under $4 for 6 pair 2x S, M and L with e-packet shipping. Under $2 if can accept their slower standard shipping. I'd foolishly assume that getting them to Canada instead would be priced comparably but I'm not Canadian so don't know. I'd strongly recommend getting 2 sets so you have 4 pairs in each size because they are a bit easy to tear.

Feb 22, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #28,418 of 64,175
Just search on Aliexpress.com. Under $4 for 6 pair 2x S, M and L with e-packet shipping. Under $2 if can accept their slower standard shipping. I'd foolishly assume that getting them to Canada instead would be priced comparably but I'm not Canadian so don't know. I'd strongly recommend getting 2 sets so you have 4 pairs in each size because they are a bit easy to tear.
I have been using these: 13.5 mm, 4.5 mm bore, and have always been very happy with my 40 or so pairs:
https://goo.gl/HgCbQS

tups.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #28,419 of 64,175
I ordered these about a week ago. They left LA 3 days ago to cross the continent to get to me in NY. Hopefully by Friday. I think they'll be an interesting listen.

I saw these when looking for an Amazon option for the KZ Whirlwind vs ordering from aliexpress.com even though I don't have any problem with ordering from China. Just sometimes it can be almost as inexpensive and no 3 week or more wait. Occasionally its even cheaper like the Hidizs AP60 MKII. $100 at Amazon with a $30 off coupon if you buy there $10 IE800 clones (think I have the model correct, the ceramic shell ones). $130 at Penon and Ali. $10 for that box of tips. And the box looks to be a bit roomier than the 'standard' cheap round or square case so a nice bonus:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0787VLNBG

Yeah, mine just arrived today. Although I got the same set on Aliexpress but without the case. I was cheaper by a few dollars, and I already have plenty of cases.

I’m going to do some torture testing of the Tennmak tips tonight - taking them on and off a couple of IEMs - to see how well they hold up compared to the overly-fragile KZ whirlwinds.

Hopefully the Tennmak whirlwinds don’t tear when you breathe on them wrong like the KZs.

Update on the KZ vs Tennmak Whirlwind/Turbo wide bore tips.

After installing on numerous IEMs, including some with very large bores, the Tennmak Whirlwind/Turbo tips have held up as good as new with zero tearing.

I was very rough with the tips - pulling, tugging, stretching, picking at the top edge, rolling them between my fingers - things that would have destroyed the KZ tips (as a brand new set of KZ tips can tear when simply removing them from an IEM on the very 1st try). The Tennmak tips passed with flying colors.

The Tennmak tips are identical to the KZ tips in shape and dimensions, but the Tennmak tips are made of a little softer silicone. Using a magnifying glass, I can also see that the Tennmak tips have a bit thicker reinforcement where the 'turbo fins' meet the edge of the core (where the KZ tips normally tear). The combination of the softer/more flexible silicone and the tiny bit of extra reinforcement is probably exactly why the Tennmak tips ddn't tear in my test.

One nice thing about the Tennmak tips when bought on aliexpress (NOT Amazon), is that you can specify ALL 1 color and size out of your (9) pair kit. So for example, all M clear/white tips. You cannot do this with the KZ tips, so when getting the KZ tips you end up with 2/3 of the tips unusable because they are the wrong size.

For example, if you wanted to obtain qty (9) pairs of M sized KZ tips, you would have to spend a total of about $12 on (9) full sets (plus you'd end up with a boat load of S and L tips). Compare that with the Tennmak kit, where you will be able to specify 9 pairs of M tips for a total of $8 (for the kit without the zippered case).

So the Tennmak tips are not only better quality (in my tests), but cost 25%+ less.

Here's a link to the Tennmak tips from the official Tennmak store: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TEN...d-ear-tip-earphone-accessory/32808506339.html

I will provide the disclaimer that I only torture tested 2 (out of 3) colors included in the Tennmak kit, and I only tested 2 (out of 3) sizes - the sizes I don't use so I wouldn't have cared if they tore. It's possible that I just got lucky and happened to have tested the 2 strongest Tennmak tips out of the 18 in my possession - it's possible some of the remaining 16 would have torn. So basically I can't guarantee that all Tennmak Whirlwind/Turbo tips will never tear (YMMV), but in my testing they kicked butt.

They have my seal of approval, and I know I won't be buying any more of the KZ Whirlwind/Turbo tips once my existing stock is depleted from tears.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #28,421 of 64,175
So far so good....
ZSR mono 2.jpg

Very clean, clear and wide presentation.

I do miss the extra weight in the midrange that the ZS6 brings (via the sound-guide tube from the DD). To my ears it gives the ZS6(i) a more velvet-like presentation despite the treble emphasis.
51bw1h4QoUL._SL1500_-1.jpg

Thus far I'll postulate that the ZSR will be loved by those who lean more towards the BA's precision. I suppose I lean more towards the warmth and body of a DD. Because the ZS6 straddles that fence very, very well it remains my happy medium. So far I'd give the ZSR 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Long live the ZS6!

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #28,423 of 64,175
The more black Zsr pairs I see the less I like the looks of my green ones :frowning2:

Feb 22, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #28,424 of 64,175
Can anyone compare kz zsr against kz zs6 which had better mids and vocals and which is better and louder in general?

Zsr has better mids as Zs6 is more V shaped. Better is subjective in the overall question and louder is a function of amping and neither is markedly more sensitive than the other so both should be about the same.

Feb 22, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #28,425 of 64,175
So zs6 are better after all..

Preference, grasshopper. Preference.

The ZSR is an excellent IEM and at sub-$30 it will shame some higher-priced pretenders. Just give it some time for the impressions to roll in. Besides, these are just initial impressions. Let's see how things sit a few days hence.
ZSR mono.jpg

The ability to own both the ZSR and the ZS6 (including upgrade cables) for less than $100 total speaks volumes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back