Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 2, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #29,851 of 64,163
Well i bought zs10 from AE too and it appears that only Black colour is available currently and blue and red are not available yet anytime soon as the seller told me, maybe in a few days more. So if you order red or blue you may still have to wait whereas if you order black then likely it will be shipped out within these few days. I think if you can't wait you can ask the seller to switch to black if you have ordered other colours.

And another thing is in China yet again a once a year thing national holiday (seems like they have many holidays lol), i have no idea how to translate that but it's like ancestral prayer thing that ppl will be visiting graves / cemetery of their ancestors so some delay is expected i guess.
Mine is a black one.

Apr 2, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #29,853 of 64,163
Has anyone not on the Chinese mainland received a shipment notification from AE? At least I got a shipment notification for my green KZ ZS6 from NiceHCK. I was starting to get worried as another order from NiceHCK was dispatched within a day and this one was taking a bit longer.
According to AE, mine shipped yesterday. AK store, if I remember correctly. Mine were black, no mic...

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #29,855 of 64,163
This isn't the right thread to ask but I can't find a Chi-Fi amplifier thread. And there seems to be a few knowledgeable folks here so…

Does anyone know where I can buy additional amplifier rubber bands? I mean those heavier than office ones for securing your amp to your phone or DAP? I tried a search within category on AliExpress for rubber band in the portable electronics category but it always puts me into general results where it shows nothing but office type ones. I have a few sizes of these things because I've bought a few amps but its a case of I want more this size but the amp came with that size. Figured they couldn't be too expensive to purchase on their own but I can't find the requisite magical phrase to find any. Any help would be appreciated.

found one example... maybe to use as a starting point to find search words... I would include silcone (which is not the same as silicon... I see that confusion quite a bit)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silicone-i...9&sr=8-1&keywords=silicone+bands+portable+amp

there are wristbands too... if the size is right...these glow in the dark!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Blu...-wristband/32794493011.html?priceBeautifyAB=0

These might be an option, they come in a bunch of sizes. But kind of pricey for bits of silicone. The x-shaped ones look particularly interesting for stacking. There's even an example photo of a phone stacked with a Fiio amp, although in that particular case it looks quite awkward and the strap is depressing the phone's power button, lol.

https://www.amazon.com/Wrapping-Exercise-MacBooks-Replacements-Silicone/dp/B00IFGQVH2/
https://www.amazon.com/Wrapping-Exercise-MacBooks-Replacements-Silicone/dp/B00IFMMZY4/

Apr 2, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #29,856 of 64,163
"3. Low end bass seems to have been reduced,.."

Uh oh...less sub bass than the ZS6??
This can’t be true... can it?

Apr 2, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #29,857 of 64,163
The pattern is the same each time:

KZ announce new product:
  • Mass speculation, with product panned or praised based on pre-release pictures and wild guesses
  • Small number released into the wild
  • Mass speculation, with product panned or praised based on limited numbers of the IEM released into the wild, with sometimes poorly translated reviews and wild guesses
  • General release and over the top reviews, confusingly both positive and negative
  • Reliable reviews from trusted sources, followed by heated denials from people who will not believe a decent IEM can cost so little
  • General acceptance that said IEM is a solid value, but may not be to everyone's taste or comfort level
KZ announce a new product:
  • Repeat cycle.... :o2smile:
Makes Head-Fi a fun place to hang out.

Apr 2, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #29,858 of 64,163
Apr 2, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #29,860 of 64,163
You convinced me. Just ordered the KZ ATR from Amazon UK for £5.48...ships fron China.

BTW ...is there a reason you limit who can see your profile? I think I have tried more than once.

I didn't do so (limit) consciously, but I haven't filled in my info as of yet.

71yNfUDQ8SL-2.jpg

The ATR is a great grab-it-and-go IEM. Most of us here have a bevy of gear to choose from for at-home or analytical listening but we don't necessarily want to risk losing or damaging them while traveling or commuting. The ATR with a good set of silicone earhooks is the answer to the question few people consider asking out loud. When yours arrive please fill us in on your experience with them and thanks for the acknowledgement; it inspires me to continue revisiting the outgoing models that have been overshadowed by KZ's newest crop. The HDS3 review will be posted in a few days and it also is a worthwhile and classic KZ.

Thanks again.

p.s. - if the new ED15 and ZS10 are anything to go by this ol' standard but sturdy KZ cable, which has held up very well on every KZ I know of, may be on the way out. On most in-ear monitors the cable is usually the weak link but with KZ IEMs the cable is usually never the issue if you order your KZ without a microphone. At any rate, let's hope the ED15's braided cable sees widespread use in newer releases.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #29,861 of 64,163
I got a new KZ ZS3 so far my impressions are underwhelmed:

- I can't use my favorite eartips Tennmak Turbo due to this nozzle lipless even Starlines are getting stuck in my ears.
- That sounds different from the first version I've had (the matte one).
- Harder to get loud volumes on my phones.
- I bought that expecting a fun IEM with a good bass, so far the SQ isn't quite close to something like LG QB3, KZ ZST/ZS5v1 or Blitzwolf ES-1. (Using sources: Sansa Clip+, Sabaj DA2, LG V20)

Well, that is my first impressions after 1 year since I lost my old KZ ZS3. I'll try to change the cable to TRN V10 and blueetooth perhaps there's something wrong in the chain.

Apr 2, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #29,862 of 64,163
You convinced me. Just ordered the KZ ATR from Amazon UK for £5.48...ships fron China.
BTW ...is there a reason you limit who can see your profile? I think I have tried more than once.
I will note out again that new ATR (I got it from gearbest) has exactly same driver inside as 5th gen latest ATE (red shelled) and sounds exactly same.
There may be lot of older ATR with blue shelled driver still left but it is gamble. Just be warned :wink:

Apr 2, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #29,863 of 64,163

- I can't use my favorite eartips Tennmak Turbo due to this nozzle lipless even Starlines are getting stuck in my ears.
- That sounds different from the first version I've had (the matte one).
- Harder to get loud volumes on my phones.
- I bought that expecting a fun IEM with a good bass, so far the SQ isn't quite close to something like LG QB3, KZ ZST/ZS5v1 or Blitzwolf ES-1. (Using sources: Sansa Clip+, Sabaj DA2, LG V20)

Well, that is my first impressions after 1 year since I lost my old KZ ZS3. I'll try to change the cable to TRN V10 and blueetooth perhaps there's something wrong in the chain.
Sorry to say... but new ZS3 sounds nothing special and has lot of QC issues with nozzle inner tubing. Wish I had gotten 1st gen ZS3 with better SQ.

Apr 2, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #29,864 of 64,163

I believe you are right.
ZS3 was my first KZ (spring 2017) and immediately blew my senn cx300ii out of the water pretty much in terms of everything besides forward mids. However, from reading the forums, later I learned I got the later batch (another KZ stealth change) of glossy ZS3 which seems to be very different from the early matte batch which were more balanced and loved by seasoned early adopters.

ZS5v1 is in an others class. Later ZS3 surpass it only in isolation.

I believe one should be carefull in buying the latest ZS3 as it doesn't seems to be the same as the one owned by those who praise it.

Edit: lately I've tried to bring ZS3 into rotation along with TNT and ZS5(I) as a bass heavy alternative. Just can't. It's a muddy mess in comparison. And to think of they topped my gear at one point... that's how one's taste and experience evolves with more listened iems. They are fs on local classifieds now. If you want clean bass centric signature I think (from reading) you might want to try your luck with CM5 or the more expensive Z5000 - mind you I tried none, it's just what I would do.

Edit 2: the impressions above are with @Slater KZ ZS3 mod. Unfortunately futile.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #29,865 of 64,163
I will note out again that new ATR (I got it from gearbest) has exactly same driver inside as 5th gen latest ATE (red shelled) and sounds exactly same.
There may be lot of older ATR with blue shelled driver still left but it is gamble. Just be warned :wink:

I don't have an ATE. Not sure if you are saying that what I get might be horrible? I just felt like checking out the ATR...at only £5.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back