Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 23, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #63,541 of 64,111
Im gonna try Symphony later for sure. There is one problem though. It will be competing with moondrop may, both in driver configuration and price range. And may is punching way above its price.

Feb 23, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #63,542 of 64,111
Why on earth do they have to have such a repulsive design? KZ's faceplates are getting more and more kitschy...
Have to agree, ZS10 Pro and its siblings like ZAX looked so nice and had some identity, now I don't see any in recent releases. At least CCA Trio doesn't look so bad.
Anyway, for me, sound trumps looks.
Im gonna try Symphony later for sure. There is one problem though. It will be competing with moondrop may, both in driver configuration and price range. And may is punching way above its price.
May needs its DSP to shine. But KZ really needs to deliver more in packaging for their more expensive IEMs, they already did with Joyodio. It's crazy that Joyodio Shine has a better box and accessories than KZ AS24, for example.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #63,543 of 64,111
Feb 23, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #63,544 of 64,111
People keep bashing KZ, but I think they are really improving their tunings (eg: CCA Rhapsody).
They also try to make some innovations, and this one DD+Planar is very interesting.
I agree. I have to think they (KZ) are somewhat saying why do we need to do collabs if we can focus on making quality products to redeem ourselves from the previous debacle and do it at reasonable pricing. I blind bought the Rhapsody and Legendary (Trio) on their intro sale price and like both of them but I do prefer some extra sub-bass and bass. I don't own any planar IEMs, So, this offer is tempting.

Tim

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #63,545 of 64,111
I cant agree with you, even with custom 2pin cable it sounds amazing.
I have the same experience: the DSP cable of May is decent, but for $55-60, the included DAC is just decent, and your own DAC/DAP should be better - mine did by far! I really loved May overall! It will be challenging for Symphony to compete overall, especially without such a great case :)
People keep bashing KZ, but I think they are really improving their tunings (eg: CCA Rhapsody).
They also try to make some innovations, and this one DD+Planar is very interesting.
Exactly!
I could not help ordering Symphony - Rhapsody/Symphony names reminded me of Leblanc clarinet lines. ZAT and Trio DDs were nice for the low end (and I am still a biased BA affictionado, with my modified ASX being my top IEM along AS24 and T800).
Why install an additional speaker for bass when the bass in the planar driver itself is already good? this is the same as adding more wheels to a formula 1 car and expecting it to go faster
I do think that it is really great that KZ did not ask any reviewers at all, like that awfully 'bad guy" and others!
The physics is that it is much harder for a single membrane to deliver a wide spectrum of vibrations through 10 (!) octaves without distrortions/crosscouplings. To dedicate a very low end to a DD is a potentially good idea. The implementation is to be seen. I did contribute my $60 to this KZ endeavor (hopefully a good value for $45+ full planar, not a simpler SPD as in May/Celest + $10+ DD).
so it looks like the little 6mm is used for bass instead of treble? like a mini subwoofer? very interesting given the graph too
To your comment on ZAT venting in the Discovery - I have looked into it (I hoped to get a bit less bass in the process). My ZAT is perfectly vented. Closing the vents did not bring much of a drastic difference to my ears (the DD is already constrained by quite narrow vents), if anything - a bit more midbass and becoming more intimate (or less spacious).

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #63,546 of 64,111
Have to agree, ZS10 Pro and its siblings like ZAX looked so nice and had some identity, now I don't see any in recent releases.
KZ ZSN Pro 2 are nice looking, btw. I really like silver-blue faceplate which is similar to ZS10 Pro and ZAT. Also i saw somewhere on the internet there was a ZS10 Pro Royal Blue. It looks amazing.

The only problem with my ZS10 Pro faceplate is that it is cutting my fingers every time i am adjusting it :D

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:27 PM Post #63,548 of 64,111
KZ ZSN Pro 2 are nice looking, btw. I really like silver-blue faceplate which is similar to ZS10 Pro and ZAT. Also i saw somewhere on the internet there was a ZS10 Pro Royal Blue. It looks amazing.

The only problem with my ZS10 Pro faceplate is that it is cutting my fingers every time i am adjusting it :D
They don't just look good they sound just as well, i might go to the extent of saying it sounds better than the Trio to me.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 10:37 PM Post #63,549 of 64,111

They are improving or evolving slowly. The DD + planar talks been around since2 years back but no manufacturers did that, the Szalayi is great but that an expensive item. KZ bring DD+planar is a good move but misconception here, should have go with bigger DD for bass impact, at least 10mm, or ideally 12mm for sub bass slam and impact. 6mm dd type usually faster but cant reach as deep as bigger DD, leave alone the impact from the airflow

Feb 23, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #63,550 of 64,111
I just ordered the Trio a few days ago now I'm wondering if I should have got the Symphony instead.
Trio still very much beloved iem.
Symphony being a planar +DD would be different type of soundsig compared to 3DD trio.
---
They are improving or evolving slowly. The DD + planar talks been around since2 years back but no manufacturers did that, the Szalayi is great but that an expensive item. KZ bring DD+planar is a good move but misconception here, should have go with bigger DD for bass impact, at least 10mm, or ideally 12mm for sub bass slam and impact. 6mm dd type usually faster but cant reach as deep as bigger DD, leave alone the impact from the airflow
yeah, it need bigger DD because the physicality or the impact of DD that gives it good DD bass.
if you need resolution, planar will deliver better and faster than what 6mm dd could.

but few recent iems shows KZ getting better at it, so finger crossed.

---
also, the official graph for KZ Symphony

1708748100320.png

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 3:09 AM Post #63,552 of 64,111
that is a high praise considering how beloved Trio right now.
what makes you like ZSNPro2 better?
I will say this, what got me is the effortlessness of the sound presentation and the balanced FR compared to the Trio. I am providing it with decent amplification which gives the extra balance.

Feb 24, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #63,553 of 64,111
OK thank you very much, so for castor only the mesh filter is necessary, understood.
Hi guys. "Castors" has arrived. All switches on is my favourite configuration. No foam tips in the box. Cable is pure rubbish, phthalates sublimate from pvc and have turned my ears into two red tomatoes...do you have any quality cables to recommend?

Feb 24, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #63,554 of 64,111
I will say this, what got me is the effortlessness of the sound presentation and the balanced FR compared to the Trio. I am providing it with decent amplification which gives the extra balance.
The EDX Pro X sounds very similar imo but with a bit less treble brightness and harshness.

Feb 26, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #63,555 of 64,111
Hello friends, good forum! I have been wanting Kz's multi-armature headphones for a long time, but there are as many negative comments about the brand as positive ones. Can I get your opinions about Kz as24? I use Focal clear mg pro and Galaxy buds pro in daily life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back