Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 21, 2024 at 4:59 AM Post #64,126 of 64,286
rambling a bit - the Vader Hires does look very tempting for us treble freaks. The thing is that my curve preference is kind of an extreme W shape, not necessarily a lean / bright phone. If you've spent any time with AKG 240's, you'll know how sad life is without bass. I won't tolerate it. I'm patiently waiting for the Castor Harman's to arrive before ordering any additional multi-DD IEM to see how well they respond to EQ. The Merga or Duo might slip into my cart before then ... I'm torn on it.

Trying to understand KZ's recent dynamic innovations:

"Dual Driver" - So CCA Hydro is now top of the food chain with these vaguely described "dual driver" 7mm unit and single 8mm unit combination. Why is the 7mm "dual"? Are there actually 2 diaphragms stacked on top of each other?

* "Dual Chamber" is the description for the the CCA Polaris, but it's 10mm. I think this is the same driver used in the Trio?

* "Super-linear" - several different KZ/CCA pairs (including Merga) advertise this driver but it's not clear what makes it linear, much less super linear ...

* "Dual magnetic circuit & dual-cavity 2DD driver" - KZ DUO has the most word salad description of the bunch. I have no idea what this ish is.

* "Stacked Dual-Dynamic" - this is the setup in the Castor, which has a 10mm "dual magnetic" sitting on top of an 8mm dynamic, free of any other embellishment / wizardry.

* "Dual magnetic & cavity dynamic" - this is the description of the ZNA, which uses a 12MM plus whatever the hell the rest of it is.

* "5 microns" - the thin diaphragm craze of the CRA got lost in the DQS. This driver is also described as having 4 layer voice coil to try and remove weight, which theoretically should mean better detail. At 17 euro they're proud of this one.

Frankly, trying to sort all of this out is exhausting, which means that the marketing is working and keeps people buying them just to compare if nothing else.

No improvement to staging:

This is my subjective take, but when it comes to separation and layering and isolating instrument detail I don't think I have anything better than the ZAX, and much of that I would attribute to the open back design of the shell. Most reviewers complained that they threw a closed shell 10mm driver into an open back shell which is why the bass was a bit sloppy. The reality is that shaving off 1-2 db from 100hz is enough to clean it up without sacrificing subbass extension. Certainly the BA10 sound more coherent and are less V shaped IMO, but those lack the air and wider soundstage of the ZAX units. While BA10 is also generously vented, it's all BA design kind of pushes the air from a closed chamber fairly directly into the egress tube, so the sound isn't really resonating inside the shell. The openness of the ZAX shells was eliminated on the ZAS and apparently the new ZAR update, too, which is kind of a bummer. The new hybrid and multi-DD setups from CCA appear to all have some amount of venting on them, but there's not any indication from reviews I've seen which would indicate a wider sound stage beyond the rest of their catalog, which is a bit disappointing.

edit: I lied. The CCA CXS is touting an open back for better sound stage. NymPHONOmaniac's review is actually pretty positive.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cca-cxs.26138/

/rambling

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 7:17 AM Post #64,128 of 64,286
Thought I'd share some pics of the throwback KZ ZS1, was wondering if anybody still has a pair(think they are circa 2015) and are enjoying these as much as me?!

Also, any product I can use to clean the brass? Theres some corrosion. They still sound great despite a little rust, the bass is amazing :)

Attachments

• 20240415_095729.jpg
    20240415_095729.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240415_095703.jpg
    20240415_095703.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
May 21, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #64,129 of 64,286
May 21, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #64,130 of 64,286
May 21, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #64,131 of 64,286
For those who may be looking for a nice carrying case for your KZ IEMs...I just got one of these to hold my PR2s with 784 core cable and it is VERY nice.

Probably going to order another one for my Castor Bass when it finally arrives.

Hopefully the link works.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806188178979.html?src=google&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa
I got some of these years ago and they really do hold up well and have a very good zipper. And they’re rather firm unlike the newer KZ cases which helps protect the earbuds better.

May 21, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #64,132 of 64,286
I've used BKF stuff in the past and it tended to be great. This stuff is amazing for all kinds of uses - I'd look at the soft-cleanser. Good for SS, copper, brass, you name it.

https://barkeepersfriend.com/products/soft-cleanser/

Would I mix this with a little water in a cup or just directly apply? Then I was assuming that I would need to dab the cleaner on the brass nozzle with a qtip? Maybe scrub with toothbrush as well? Then wipe clean with paper towel?

I could actually use this product for other stuff too around the house and for 3 bucks is great just want to use it properly and dont want to mess up my zs1s.

Thanks!

May 21, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #64,133 of 64,286
Thought I'd share some pics of the throwback KZ ZS1, was wondering if anybody still has a pair(think they are circa 2015) and are enjoying these as much as me?!

Also, any product I can use to clean the brass? Theres some corrosion. They still sound great despite a little rust, the bass is amazing :)
I first bought the forgotten bullet-style KZ RX back in 2016 and was so astonished that I sold my Bose and Klipsch earbuds. Then I bought the ZS1 and was floored! They are TO THIS DAY one of the most comfortable KZ designs ever. Can't believe they abandoned that shell style. They have loads of bass, more so than more recent IEMs, but I feel the treble is a bit too recessed or muddy. I can't remember if I still have these LOL. I might have given them away. Then I went to the ZS5 and then ZS6 and those were so good, I was content... for a while!

May 21, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #64,134 of 64,286
Would I mix this with a little water in a cup or just directly apply? Then I was assuming that I would need to dab the cleaner on the brass nozzle with a qtip? Maybe scrub with toothbrush as well? Then wipe clean with paper towel?

Your guess is as good as mine, but the trick will be to use just a very small amount at full strength absorbed into a small cloth (or qtip) and then try to just rub the surface down, using it more like a polishing compound and less like a cleaner. If you can see excess liquid it's probably too much. For sure you don't want the product to get down inside the sound tube or inside the IEM. Even though it's brass, using emery cloth or anything abrasive like steel wool or sandpaper is risking ingress of fine particulates into the body of the IEM which would be bad, so I think a cleaner like this is a much better choice.

May 21, 2024 at 11:34 AM Post #64,135 of 64,286
I first bought the forgotten bullet-style KZ RX back in 2016 and was so astonished that I sold my Bose and Klipsch earbuds. Then I bought the ZS1 and was floored! They are TO THIS DAY one of the most comfortable KZ designs ever. Can't believe they abandoned that shell style. They have loads of bass, more so than more recent IEMs, but I feel the treble is a bit too recessed or muddy. I can't remember if I still have these LOL. I might have given them away. Then I went to the ZS5 and then ZS6 and those were so good, I was content... for a while!

Yes, they really thump. It took awhile to find the right tips for them. Ended up using some old aliexpress foams, comply type large foam tips ive had for years and they really are bass heavy which I like and not overly bright(believe they were often referred to as dark) so I never really suffer from listening fatigue.

I've gone with silicone tips with almost every other iem but foam is necessary to really get the umph out of the bass from them as I auditioned about 6-7 large tips with them the other night.

I dont know if you remember but the zs1 had two versions, one with the brass ring which are very desirable and a revision with a screen nozzle which was pretty awful from my recollection. Luckily, I was able to get the brass version. It does have memory wire which a lot of people hate but I don't mind it :)

May 21, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #64,136 of 64,286
Yes, they really thump. It took awhile to find the right tips for them. Ended up using some old aliexpress foams, comply type large foam tips ive had for years and they really are bass heavy which I like and not overly bright(believe they were often referred to as dark) so I never really suffer from listening fatigue.

I've gone with silicone tips with almost every other iem but foam is necessary to really get the umph out of the bass from them as I auditioned about 6-7 large tips with them the other night.

I dont know if you remember but the zs1 had two versions, one with the brass ring which are very desirable and a revision with a screen nozzle which was pretty awful from my recollection. Luckily, I was able to get the brass version. It does have memory wire which a lot of people hate but I don't mind it :)
I was not nerdy enough back then to notice what nozzle they had lol. My mom uses them now… they almost make me want to try the new Merga to see how far they’ve come with dual dynamics (I’ve not heard the famous Castors either but I suspect the bassy one would be a huge improvement to the ZS1)

May 21, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #64,137 of 64,286

I could actually use this product for other stuff too around the house and for 3 bucks is great just want to use it properly and dont want to mess up my zs1s.

Thanks!

If you get the bottle of foam spray then you can just spray a little on a cloth (microfiber preferably) and then clean the IEM by rubbing it. You don't need to soak the cloth, just enough to dampen it.

If you use the powder you can use it just straight out of the can on most things but for what you're wanting to do i would mix it with a little bit of water and then apply it just like the foam spray.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 3:32 AM Post #64,138 of 64,286
New KZ Products,

The Bluetooh Earhook
the budget one at $26, KZ AE01
https://www.kztws.com/products/kz-ae01
Bluetooth 5.4 (unnamed bluetooth chip), AAC only, 6 hour battery (20 total)

1716362200283.png

the expensive one at $64, KZ XZ10
https://www.kztws.com/products/kz-xz10
Bluetooth 5.3 (QCC5171), APTX-Adaptive, 12 hour battery (72 total)

1716362302636.png

---

Also,

KZ x AngelEars Collab
KZ Libra, 1 DD ($12-ish)

1716362675669.jpeg

1716362687989.jpeg

1716362712985.jpeg

---
That direct comparison to Aria2 and Harman2019 tough

May 22, 2024 at 3:45 AM Post #64,139 of 64,286
New KZ Products,

The Bluetooh Earhook
the budget one at $26, KZ AE01
https://www.kztws.com/products/kz-ae01
Bluetooth 5.4 (unnamed bluetooth chip), AAC only, 6 hour battery (20 total)

the expensive one at $64, KZ XZ10
https://www.kztws.com/products/kz-xz10
Bluetooth 5.3 (QCC5171), APTX-Adaptive, 12 hour battery (72 total)

---

Also,

KZ x AngelEars Collab
KZ Libra, 1 DD ($12-ish)

---
That direct comparison to Aria2 and Harman2019 tough
Ngl, reading the description of the KZ Libra made me want to buy. I mean, who tf wrote those lines?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back