Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 29, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #9,332 of 64,300
Hey guys!
First post here and very interested in some nice kz goodies.

Has anybody already been able to confirm that the z1 equals the s4?
And would you recommend the s4, the s3 or some completely other earphone as best all round kz?

Kind regards

Jan 29, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #9,333 of 64,300
How would you compare it to Havi B3s? Or ER iems?

Vs. the B3, the EDR2 does a good job. I'll need to spend more time comparing them, but the EDR2 seems to extend a little deeper into subbass regions and are more prominent in the treble, but mids and general refinement are quite similar. Soundstage of course goes to the B3, but the EDR2 is no slouch.

Not sure what ER iems are, sorry.

I also spent a lot of time last night comparing to many of my other KZs with some of the few live King Crimson recordings I have. In terms of neutrality and general technical competence, the original ED3 was actually the closest. EDR2 is a lot smoother and more refined, and not nearly as bright nor remotely harsh in the treble. It also has a larger and more dynamic soundstage.

The EDR2 makes the HDS1 sound VERY midbassy. The ED9 brass sounds v-shaped and kinda lifeless. That came as a bit of a shock. Haven't compared to the ANV yet.

Jan 29, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #9,334 of 64,300
Vs. the B3, the EDR2 does a good job. I'll need to spend more time comparing them, but the EDR2 seems to extend a little deeper into subbass regions and are more prominent in the treble, but mids and general refinement are quite similar. Soundstage of course goes to the B3, but the EDR2 is no slouch.

Not sure what ER iems are, sorry.

I also spent a lot of time last night comparing to many of my other KZs with some of the few live King Crimson recordings I have. In terms of neutrality and general technical competence, the original ED3 was actually the closest. EDR2 is a lot smoother and more refined, and not nearly as bright nor remotely harsh in the treble. It also has a larger and more dynamic soundstage.

The EDR2 makes the HDS1 sound VERY midbassy. The ED9 brass sounds v-shaped and kinda lifeless. That came as a bit of a shock. Haven't compared to the ANV yet.

You're emptying my wallet :frowning2: :wink:
Good to have a KZ close to the Havi. Of course havis are hard to beat but no one expects $5 to beat already excellent $50 ones.

Thanks a lot for the impressions. Er is etymotic research: flat sounding and very good isolating iems.

Jan 29, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #9,335 of 64,300
You're emptying my wallet :frowning2: :wink:
Good to have a KZ close to the Havi. Of course havis are hard to beat but no one expects $5 to beat already excellent $50 ones.

Thanks a lot for the impressions. Er is etymotic research: flat sounding and very good isolating iems.

For the price the EDR2 holds up surprisingly well. They're definitely not 'better', but they're not shamed either, lol.

I thought that's what you meant. I haven't heard any of their products. Want to though. Was thinking of getting the KIDS model at some point given the price is right and the reputation is great.

Jan 29, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #9,336 of 64,300
  Audiobudget has reviewed both ED3 youth and S3, and found them to be the same (?). They also made frequency response curves that quite back up their claim.

http://audiobudget.com/product.php?brand=KZ&id=S3
http://audiobudget.com/product.php?brand=KZ&id=ED3Youth

FR curves are nearly identical.

Sorry, but imo audiobudget isn`t accurate/reliable source enough to make end-putting conclusions and it has quite subjective judgement/impressions
rolleyes.gif

FR graphs seem to be very close though, between S3 & ED3Y.

Jan 29, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #9,337 of 64,300
Jan 29, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #9,338 of 64,300
I do think the ATE black translucent's I got (3 pairs I received about 1.5 months ago) have quite accented subbass. The rolled off treble (or *sounds* rolled off to me, I never measured them) and lack of sparkle up high may draw the minds eye (ear) more to the lower frequencies too. I don't have personal experience with other KZ IEMs yet but from trawling through the thread recently I think multiple HDS1 owners seem to agree with EISEN, it is regarded as quite a neutral KZ.

Jan 29, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #9,339 of 64,300
very nicely explained.

I agree
smily_headphones1.gif

Would like to add a little precaution to take while using EQ. If the frequencies are tuned heavily then there is chance of peaking and hence the waveform might get clipped for some frequencies. Just keeping the volume to 60-70% and amping it post EQ would mitigate this issue.

Reminds me of my days back in the late 70's while stationed in Germany, their was always a staunch group who preferred no EQ and even simple tone controls on pre amp sections of pre amps, integrated amps and even some receivers! You hear of coloration from EQ'ing but as previously mentioned there is no pure recording (even by Jack White)! Music is messaged at every step in the reproduction process to some degree and also mentioned is the fact every recording engineer has his own formula when putting a track down in whatever format. The nail was hit on the head when it was said EQ just help's the individual listener get the sound they like from the recording. OK, enough of what I think
deadhorse.gif

(image missing) 

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #9,340 of 64,300

Sorry, but imo audiobudget isn`t accurate/reliable source enough to make end-putting conclusions and it has quite subjective judgement/impressions
rolleyes.gif

FR graphs seem to be very close though, between S3 & ED3Y.

I just received my (supposed) S3 and although they do not have the black cable (which I thought was a feature of the S3) it does sound a bit different from my ED3 Acme Youth.
They do have slightly different tips on them so that could be causing the difference in sound. I was looking at them and essentially the S3 is the ED3 A\Y with the same lettering, same strain relief, same cable, etc. 
The only difference physically is the color. I wonder if KZ did slap a new color on the ED3 and market it as an S3.
confused.gif

I don't know and don't want to make a statement I can't prove but I do wish when we ordered the new S3 on Ali it would at least would come in as pictured. The only reason I ordered was the ad showed the grey body with black cable and I thought it looked so good IMO and then to have it come in with the same cable as every other KZ I own is dissappointing. It looks like I have 2 pair of ED3 Acme now. 
Let's see what the seller does as they said they have the black cable version and will send me out a replacement...

Jan 29, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #9,341 of 64,300
I do think the ATE black translucent's I got (3 pairs I received about 1.5 months ago) have quite accented subbass. The rolled off treble (or *sounds* rolled off to me, I never measured them) and lack of sparkle up high may draw the minds eye (ear) more to the lower frequencies too. I don't have personal experience with other KZ IEMs yet but from trawling through the thread recently I think multiple HDS1 owners seem to agree with EISEN, it is regarded as quite a neutral KZ.

My ATE have a huge subbass presence. It's a very fun iem to listen. It has very good mids, not recesed at all but the rolled off in treble is very noticiable and it rest a bit of scene and imaging on the sound. I have read people who has made mod on them and opening a little hole on the back (maybe a tiny drill) it makes it perform better on that aspect becoming a more neutral iem... 

KZ ATE is a very good iems for people who love techno, dance, hip hop, etc music. 

Jan 29, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #9,342 of 64,300
Haha I've read nearly entire Rock Zircon thread but still can't make up my opinion based on that... generally this never happens. I need some reliable information from some members who I believe (won't disclose names)...  The thread was so confusing. I bet this KZ thread is similarly confusing as well though lol.. 

BTW I had promised a comparison between Havi B3 / TTPOD T1E/ ZN1mini

I ran a quick comparison, results were as expected and no surprise here : 

Havi B3P1
TTPOD T1E
KZ ZN1mini
Lows
Extended, flat
Extended, above average qty
Extended, average qty
Mids
Well presented
Below average
Good, slightly backward presentation
Highs
Well extended
Extended, bit Sparkly
Extended
Soundstage
Big, Surrounding
Above average
Big, Wide
FR
Flat
V
Mild V
Signature
Analytical
Fun
Mainstream

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #9,343 of 64,300

I ran a quick comparison, results were as expected and no surprise here : 

Havi B3P1
TTPOD T1E
KZ ZN1mini
Lows
Extended, flat
Extended, above average qty
Extended, average qty
Mids
Well presented
Below average
Good, slightly backward presentation
Highs
Well extended
Extended, bit Sparkly
Extended
Soundstage
Big, Surrounding
Above average
Big, Wide
FR
Flat
V
Mild V
Signature
Analytical
Fun
Mainstream

Thanks! Very helpful. Like the format. Might have to borrow that for some future comparos :wink:

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #9,344 of 64,300
Hello again peeps, I still haven't made up my mind about which KZ to order, the choice is between ED3, waiting for S3 price to drop/new version to properly show up, HDS1, ED9 and ATE. Although ATE is described as quite bassy over the past few pages, which is not really what I'm looking for, I'm looking for a balanced/neutral, used mainly for metal (mainly power metal, orchestral metal, heavy metal), so I'd prefer if it had an emphasis on that over bass-bloat, as well as on the vocals, decent details and a fair soundstage. A non agressive (or at least not extremely agressive) sound would be great as well!
The reviews across the past few pages have been mixed up, some call the ATE very bassy, the others not bassy at all, mostly the ED9 came up as balanced with the brass tube, people keep recommending the S3, but it's availability is kinda limited-ish :frowning2:.

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #9,345 of 64,300
  Hello again peeps, I still haven't made up my mind about which KZ to order, the choice is between ED3, waiting for S3 price to drop/new version to properly show up, HDS1, ED9 and ATE. Although ATE is described as quite bassy over the past few pages, which is not really what I'm looking for, I'm looking for a balanced/neutral, used mainly for metal (mainly power metal, orchestral metal, heavy metal), so I'd prefer if it had an emphasis on that over bass-bloat, as well as on the vocals, decent details and a fair soundstage. A non agressive (or at least not extremely agressive) sound would be great as well!
The reviews across the past few pages have been mixed up, some call the ATE very bassy, the others not bassy at all, mostly the ED9 came up as balanced with the brass tube, people keep recommending the S3, but it's availability is kinda limited-ish :frowning2:.

There are a few confusions regarding ATE. First of all there are two ATE models, ATE and ATE-S. Both do sound different. I don't yet have ATE-S so I can't really help. 

Then again, I've heard from users that two ATE models (Silver and Translucent Black) do sound different. I have both and for me they both sound nearly identical. 

Given that, I can assure that there is not too much bass on ATE. There are other KZs like R1, ED8 that can use that term. For ATE I'd say 'Enhanced low end' has a correct vibe.
ATE's low end is well extended, doing enough justice to sub bass as well. ATE has smooth, fluid kind of bass as opposed to punchy, aggressive bass present in ED10/11.

Orchestral metal sounds beautiful on ATE mainly because of that fluid low end and very good soundstage. Since metal is not mainly focused on vocals I'd advice to go for ATE or ED9. ED9 may sound a bit harsh in harsher songs but otherwise do well. HDS1 is very good, balanced earphone but I fear that the bass guitar/ kick drum sounds would satisfy or not. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back