Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 2, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #24,556 of 64,146
oh agreed, but what I was referring to was the MSRP in Yuan is rarely what the asking price on Ali ends up being and when shipping is added you can usually bet on double if not a bit more. And, yes depending on price, I do have a tendency to prefer insured shipping.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #24,557 of 64,146
A78FC587-5523-455E-A2D0-B572AD1DCFAD.jpeg

Wanted to try my luck and order 2 blue wo mic at gearbest. Guess I lucked out.. so they ran out of v1 stock already. :frowning2:

Got these in the mail today. My goodness I thought the treble on the v1 was piercing.
These v2 take hi-hats and make them higher-hats. Even on zero volume there’s noisy sound floor. Now I’m considering whether this is a suitable gift for my friends..

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #24,558 of 64,146
Unfortunately, those prices usually about double or triple when it comes to buying from aliexpress and adding shipping

Not sure what you are talking about. Most smaller items on Aliexpress ship for free from China/Singapore. Only heavy items (like metal amp enclosures) cost a lot and it is still less than you would traditionally pay for DHL express courier of a 10lb box ($35). This is possible due to asymmetric shipping from East to West made possible by courier airplanes (like DHL) fully loaded with sought-after Western-perishables (gourmet food) for consumption by growing upper-middle class in China. Once in China, planes are empty and they give sweetheart deals to Ali for flying the stuff back to the West. If you have ever tried returning an item to China you will know. Don't bother - it's outrageous.

Nov 2, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #24,559 of 64,146

Wanted to try my luck and order 2 blue wo mic at gearbest. Guess they ran out of v1 stock already. :frowning2:

Got these in the mail today. My goodness I thought the treble on the v1 was piercing.
These take hi-hats and make them higher hats. Even on zero volume there’s noisy sound floor.

Grrrreat...I am waiting for my ZS5 with much anticipation :)

I'll definitely destroy one of the BAs if that's the case. There's no point in hurting yourself with piercing highs.

Nov 2, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #24,560 of 64,146

Wanted to try my luck and order 2 blue wo mic at gearbest. Guess I lucked out.. so they ran out of v1 stock already. :frowning2:

These v2 take hi-hats and make them higher-hats. Even on zero volume there’s noisy sound floor. Now I’m considering whether this is a suitable gift for my friends..

Sounds like you do not have a suitable source for the ZS5, as extensively discussed in the pages prior to this. I have the v2 version too and they are really very good earphones. Personally, I like them better than the v1 which a friend has. For basis of comparison, I'm using a LG G6 Quad DAC version.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #24,561 of 64,146

Foams are your friends - try them with a set of Comply tips before you write them off.

Nov 2, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #24,563 of 64,146
Foams are your friends - try them with a set of Comply tips before you write them off.

Or let them burn-in for a day or two on Pink Noise at least. The japanese review link I was referring to in the last 2 pages suggests at least 100 hours (for the ZS6), the treble tamed down after that according to the reviewer.

It was good enough for me after a 12 hour burn-in.

Nov 2, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #24,565 of 64,146
Speaking of the ZSE...

Also a quick look back at some of my older tests with them would suggest that replacing the red nylon nozzle screen should also be a move in the "right" direction (for me).

I always replace those red nylon screens the second I get a KZ IEM with them. I have yet to run across a red-screened IEM where they didn't veil the sound and bloat the bass

Nov 2, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #24,566 of 64,146
Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #24,567 of 64,146

If you just put them out on the table the dog would probably like them:open_mouth: LOL

OK, I can't tell you how sweet this sub $100 rig sounds but has caused me to reflect on why I buy $200 iem's and $400 DAP's for sure:rolling_eyes:

KZ Walnut Guy.JPG

Delta, is that VE's balanced cable you have on those ZS5's?

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #24,569 of 64,146
I always replace those red nylon screens the second I get a KZ IEM with them. I have yet to run across a red-screened IEM where they didn't veil the sound and bloat the bass
Remove as in completely gone, nothing there now, nothing replacing it? Just to make sure I understand. A pair arrived yesterday with my order of a pair of each of the super bargain ZS5 and ZS6 from the gearbest thread.

PS: did the pricing of the Bluetooth earphones you wanted from that thread ever get straightened out so you could actually get a pair at the bargain price?

Nov 2, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #24,570 of 64,146
The red nylon screens just fall off if you sneeze at them LOL.

Remove as in completely gone, nothing there now, nothing replacing it? Just to make sure I understand. A pair arrived yesterday with my order of a pair of each of the super bargain ZS5 and ZS6 from the gearbest thread.

Yeah, they fall off easily for sure. I've had them fall out in my ears before, which is not fun.

As far as replacing them vs removing them completely, it depends. On some IEMs (like the ATE), I go with no screen at all (I clean my ears before every IEM session so wax buildup isn't an issue). On most though, I replace the red nylon screens with the stainless mesh screens (that cost about $0.08 each). The stainless screens are pretty close to transparent from what I can tell.

I still don't know what to think about the screen on the ZS6 (vs replacing with a standard stainless screen).

PS: did the pricing of the Bluetooth earphones you wanted from that thread ever get straightened out so you could actually get a pair at the bargain price?

The Meizu EP52? Yes, George finally provided a code that worked. But it was at $26 not $19. The EP52 have a much higher wholesale cost than the EP51, so I doubt you'll ever see the EP52 under $20. Still, $26 is a great price for the EP52 though, so I didn't mind.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back