Koss A250 - WHOA!!!!!
Mar 21, 2007 at 1:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

redrich2000

Headphoneus Supremus
So I just got a pair of A250s from a friendly head-fier and **** these things are amazing. Listening with my Cute Beyond I am blown away in a way I never was with my old Beyer DT-880s and M3 amp. I reckon its the phones making the difference. They have all the detail and soundstage of the Beyers but are far more involving.

They are very cool looking in their own way but I reckon this is one pair of phones NO ONE would where in public - they're MASSIVE!! They have this cool retro futurism, you could imagine badies on the Death Star wearing them.

I paid $80 incl. shipping from the US to Australia, I think that's a freakin' steal. Some of you got these for $33 - that's gotta be the deal of century.

They actually look a bit like this
smily_headphones1.gif
so I'm christening it the A250 smiley.

Mar 21, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 35
I really like mine. They are one of the most detailed cans I have heard in their price range. They have some upper midrange coloration/flair that many find harsh. So with the wrong amp/source they can be downright brutal. Very good soundstage too for the price.

Some things to keep an eye on:
Treat them carefully they are not the most durable cans. Watch out for the little spring-posts that latch the earcups to the headband, that tends to be fragile and can fall apart.

The perforated mesh/grilles on the outside of the earcups can "push-in" to the earcups. They are only heat-staked in place. I had to go in and glue mine because they caved in at one of the corners.

The foam mesh screen inside the earcups is fragile and can tear easily. It also can wear out if your ears touch it, so keep an eye out for that.

Mar 21, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 35
I'd never heard of these. They sound really outstanding for their price range (or beyond). This is getting very tempting....

Too bad headphonereviews.com strikes out on this one, too. (Maybe I'm not the one only one who's been frustrated by the system error messages every time I try to use it. Why do I even bother?)

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #4 of 35
Is the A130 the up to date version of the A250's perhaps ?

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Spot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the A130 the up to date version of the A250's perhaps ?

They were made during the same time frame, mid-90s from what I understand. The A130 uses a different driver in a slightly smaller, closed earcup. The A130 drivers are snapped in with plastic clips, and can vibrate loose. The A250 drivers are glued in place.

Stay away from the radio shack optimus Pro155. It looks EXACTLY like an A130, but they are different headphones. The Rat shack re-badge has UR40 drivers, not A130 drivers.

**edited for correctness** thanks!!

Mar 22, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #6 of 35
Thanks for the advice.

To those that are tempted. I got lucky and found a for sale thread on overclock.net form a guy who's also a head-fier. The only way you can get these now is second hand.

One problem with the wide soundstage is that now I understand why people use crossfeed!

smily_headphones1.gif
Team A250

Mar 22, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #7 of 35
Totally agree with kramer on this. They sounded pretty good for their price, but they just seemed too fragile for me to keep. I was looking for a durable standby to keep just in case anything ever happened to my Sony's, and they didn't hold up to my expectations.

I'd be willing to say these would be similar to a much less refined CD3000. They had fairly similar representations of the music, but I found the A/250's were a fair bit thinner, and more condensed than my Sony's. Not a bad headphone for $50, though. I haven't owned too many cans in this range, but I'll at least say they kicked the pants off my old Sony V700DJ.
tongue.gif
I'd have liked to hear them properly amped (I wouldn't think it'd take much), but funds were needed.
frown.gif

Glad you like them. Not sure what shipping is on these bad boys to Aus, but you can find them for about $40-$45 USD shipped conus here at head-fi if you're patient. That's about what I let my old pair go for recently; it's also what I got them for. Honestly, though, for $33 people should have just stolen the darn things... That's an insane deal.

Mar 22, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #8 of 35
Congratulations, Rich! I'm glad my advice turned out to be useful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The A130 uses the same driver in a slightly smaller, closed earcup.

Whoah, Kramer, false information! Awhile ago I posted a report with pics in that mammoth A250 thread that the 250 and 130 do NOT have the same driver, that actually the 130 driver is smaller and clearly inferior. It's the adapter plate to make the little driver fit in the big aperture that caused the famous A130 rattle.

The 130 sounds remarkably similar to a DT531, maybe just a tiny notch below it, while the 250 stomps even an old series DT990 (as I found in my big European open dynamic headphone test), or, as Rich points out, a DT880. There was also an A200 as the middle offering in the same series, but I don't know of any head-fier who has one.

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations, Rich! I'm glad my advice turned out to be useful.

Whoah, Kramer, false information! Awhile ago I posted a report with pics in that mammoth A250 thread that the 250 and 130 do NOT have the same driver, that actually the 130 driver is smaller and clearly inferior. It's the adapter plate to make the little driver fit in the big aperture that caused the famous A130 rattle.

The 130 sounds remarkably similar to a DT531, maybe just a tiny notch below it, while the 250 stomps even an old series DT990 (as I found in my big European open dynamic headphone test), or, as Rich points out, a DT880. There was also an A200 as the middle offering in the same series, but I don't know of any head-fier who has one.

Youre right!! After 8-9000 posts I forget. The 130 has a snap-in adapter ring, that adapts the smaller 130 driver to the large opening.

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by daduy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
since i'm still not allowed to post on the sale forum, anybody willing to sell their koss a/250 for $50 and shipped them to indonesia?
rolleyes.gif

Not for $50, that's for sure.

Mar 22, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not for $50, that's for sure.

x3.

Gosh that seems mean.

But hey I just grabbed my pair off the shelf and gave them a work out. These are great phones, $33 was an absolute steal. Could do with a tiny bit more bass, but the top end is crystal clear on this Indigo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back