KOSS ESP-950 Thread
Sep 2, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #407 of 4,054
Quote:
Yesterday it hit its lowest on amazon ever. I'm planning to buy a ges and 407 but if I can get this to as low as 500 I don't think I can resist need to check it twice a day from now on :frowning2:

I am really interested in this but for some reason the super deal price on these never shows up when I look at Amazon. Maybe because I am international the web site filters those deals from my viewing? If this was available anywhere near $500 I would jump on it, but I have never seen a price quoted lower than $900. Frustrating cause I would really like to by these. Of course there is no local source here in Thailand for these at any price. I would love to find them somewhere at a reasonable price.

Sep 2, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #408 of 4,054
Its 950 now on amazon . How much was it yesterday?

I wouldn't mind keeping a backup pair of these ( if i get a good deal ), and mod my existing pair with stax cable and possibly make a wooden housing.

Sep 2, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #409 of 4,054
I've been out of  High End Audio for 20+ years and am just starting to get back into it. Most of my equipment I sold many years ago, Audio Research Classic 60, Vandersteen 2C's, etc but I did manage to keep my ESP-950's that I purchased in the 1990's. I'm mainly interested in listening to headphones at my desk for now and am in the market for a DAC that is under $3000 and am looking for recommedations that will be a good match for these headphones. I eventually would like to setup a music server and maybe get a transport or just use an OPPO BDP-93 for ripping CD's. unfortunately I have mostly MP3's right now besides my CD's but I would like to dabble in some higher quality recordings from hdtracks and such. What kind of DACS is everyone using with the ESP-950's ? I'm looking at NAD M51, [SIZE=11pt]Anedio D2, and [SIZE=11pt]Mytek Digital Stereo192-DSD. Having future capability for DSD would be nice but it's not a deal breaker. I recently went to the Newport Beach THE SHOW and already have tickets/reservations for the Rocky Mountain Audiofest in Denver in October. I'm hoping to do some more listening and maybe see some new prodcuts announce. My questions are what DACS people in this forum are using with the ESP-950's and would a DAC such as the NAD M51 not be very forgiving to listing to MP3's ? Also I may consider buying a new set of headphones later so a decent quality headphone amplier built in the DAC would be a plus.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Given that you are looking for a music server down the road, it might be worth checking out PS Audio's Perfectwave Dac Mkii. It's both a high end dac and a server. It runs for about $4000 though. I haven't personally heard it, but it seems like something that might be worth checking out given your interest and funding.

Edit:Actually you have to buy the $800 optional bridge to use it as a server.

Sep 2, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #410 of 4,054
Quote:
Its 950 now on amazon . How much was it yesterday?
I wouldn't mind keeping a backup pair of these ( if i get a good deal ), and mod my existing pair with stax cable and possibly make a wooden housing.

It was $539 for a half hour or so.  I tried to grab it but the price went back up by the time I could go to my cart and check out.

Sep 2, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #411 of 4,054
Ended up ordering the ESP-950 today on a deal I couldn't resist. :)  Anybody have a link to livewire's Koss to Stax adapter cable post?

I don't know where his post is, but Moon sells the STAX parts and Koss will send you a "replacement" extension cable if you call and ask (I think you might have to pay, its like $15 at most). Wikifonia has the pinouts.

Yesterday it hit its lowest on amazon ever. I'm planning to buy a ges and 407 but if I can get this to as low as 500 I don't think I can resist need to check it twice a day from now on :frowning2:

$979 right now.

It was $539 for a half hour or so.  I tried to grab it but the price went back up by the time I could go to my cart and check out.

$539 isn't bad. They've done that before ($550-ish is rare, but $575-$650 is not uncommon), but as is par for course with Amazon - buy it when you see it, because pricing is not guaranteed (and Amazon no longer price-matches themselves).

Sep 3, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #414 of 4,054
>30% off AND free shipping in CONUS ? MT, seriously, why waste keystrokes here when your credit card numbers are all on that numeric keypad ?? 
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 3, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #415 of 4,054
Quote:
Actually she got an 11 year sentence per the article.

Not really - an 11 year sentence usually translates into 5 or 6 years max, after time off for pre-trial custody, good behavior and the like.
I wouldn't be surprised if she's out in four years or less.

Sep 3, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #417 of 4,054
Anyone know if the ESP950 is available in 220V version? 

The 110 v is only for the walwart that powers the e.90 energiser.
You can get a 9v 1 amp walwart that should work.

Even better would be driving the driving the esp950 off a stax amp ( as i am told , my srd 7 pro on its way here. )

Sep 3, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #418 of 4,054
Anyone know if the ESP950 is available in 220V version? 

As singh said, you can just replace the powerpack with one that runs on 220V. The E/90 itself takes DC in, so it doesn't really care about what your mains power situation looks like, as long as you can provide it that 9VDC (I've heard of people using 12V units, but I would not try this personally).

There's also other amplifiers that can drive the 950, namely anything that's STAX Pro Bias compatible.

Sep 4, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #419 of 4,054
Forgive my ignorance on this, but how is it that you can drive 'stat speakers with a conventional amp but you need a 'stat amp to drive 'stat phones ? I know that is a newbie question. but the Mini Maggies are the first 'stat speakers to ever interest me.  

Sep 4, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #420 of 4,054
mini maggies, as well as all the other magneplanar speakers are
planar magnetic, not electrostatic. Just because they look like
electrostatics does not mean they are electrostatics.

Quads, esl57 and esl63 as well as the klh-9's have large step
up transformers.

Accoustats and Beveridge have direct drive tube amps.
With really huge output tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back