Koss KSC-75: Better Than $600 Headphones???
May 24, 2013 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jaycee1

100+ Head-Fier
I re-read some of the comments in the ksc-75 thread, and they are quite disturbing. I love my koss headphones and tend to suspect that they get you 90% of the way along the road to the "holy grail" flagship headphones from sennheiser, grado and the like. 

What's astonishing however is that several posters claim that the koss ksc75 are BETTER than several headphones in the $300 to $600 price range. Heady praise, indeed.

If this is the case, and let's assume there's a certain amount of exaggeration in the claim, why do people spend hundreds or thousands more when it's totally unnecessary?

In addition to the enormous cost difference, there is the issue of added weight, and the decreased versatility since larger headphones can't be used as portables.

Someone explain to me why people are willing to spend an additional $500 only to get headphones that are the sonic equivalent of a $15 pair.  

--

http://www.head-fi.org/t/638757/koss-ksc75s-dont-forget-about-this-giant-killer-in-all-the-hype

So far my collection of headphones has only been the Koss KSC75 and DT990-600's due to limited budget. (with Grado 60i's and Sony V6 coming in next week)

My experiences so far? The KSC75 and DT990 are nearly identical, despite the $300 Difference. The DT990's just have a larger soundstage, bit less distortion, and more exaggerated highs. 

In all honestly, i prefer my 75's. Why? They're more comfortable. They Sit on my ears and do not apply any clamp pressure nor weigh the top of my head down, and the lessened highs of the 75's are less fatiguing.

I owned the grado ps500 for about 2 days but after comparing to a 75 with a grado cable I preferred the little Koss. the mids are nicer and while the grado had more in terms of some detail and refinement up top, for $500 it was a joke how similar they sounded not to mention the comfort difference which is worth quite a bit in itself. If you find the highs on the 75's a bit whispy and unatural I'd recommend buying a pair of grado 60's, steal the cable from it and use it on the koss, sell the rest of the sr60 for half price and you'll find the 75's will have a bit more body in the mids and a nicer top end. The only real complaint I have with the 75's is the occasional rattle with super low information and less enjoyable sound at more than moderate volumes.......

May 24, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 7
It's because a large part of liking certain headphones is that you have to like their tonal balance (the general trends in the frequency response), that is the heart of their sound signature, and a pair of headphones having very likable tonal balance could allow you to see past a lot of its weakpoints. 

Ksc75s just happen to have a fantastic tonal balance - more neutral than most Grados, but more "musical" and fun (midbass hump, bloomed midrange, slightly elevated but not overly peaky treble) than about everything else. Sure these little Kosses dont have the extension, punch, low distortion, or resolution of headphones with larger or more refined driver technologies, but the tonality more than makes up for it.

May 24, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #3 of 7
KSC-75s are an excellent value, but I think if they're beating $600 headphones, there's likely something wrong with those headphones. Or the industry is just very good at fleecing consumers. Many headphone audiophiles just plain want to be fleeced.

There's definitely a sweet spot for headphones, which is probably less than $600, but is also without a doubt more than $25. I've owned KSC-75s. Good bass to a point, not so good of detail, treble or even bass extension, really. Definitely better than anything else in their price range though, for sure.

May 24, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
KSC-75s are an excellent value, but I think if they're beating $600 headphones, there's likely something wrong with those headphones. Or the industry is just very good at fleecing consumers. Many headphone audiophiles just plain want to be fleeced.

There's definitely a sweet spot for headphones, which is probably less than $600, but is also without a doubt more than $25. I've owned KSC-75s. Good bass to a point, not so good of detail, treble or even bass extension, really. Definitely better than anything else in their price range though, for sure.

Gotta put them in a headband to get the best sound from them. I may get another set and do that again, one of these days....

May 24, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #5 of 7
Of all the "audiophiles" headphones I own  (i.e from a reputed brand, or recommended here),
I rank the ksc75 at bottom.
However, they are still better than any random garbage you buy at a brick & mortar store.
And finally if you don't pay attention to details (bass extension, grainy sound...),
the ksc75 just provide something enjoyable, without having to spend much.

May 24, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #7 of 7
While these are cheap, they still scale up with better system, they have amazing synergy with my Cary, dont think they can sound better than that.

THX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back