Koss Portapro Thread
Oct 15, 2005 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,312

fewtch

Headphoneus Supremus
Well what the heck, the trend lately is appreciation threads so why not start another one
tongue.gif

I love my Portapro2's! For $20 they have served me well for the last 1 1/2 years, and are very durable for the price... no observable signs of wear. They sound a lot better amped than directly out of a portable, which to me is a sign of a good pair of cans... not high-end, but good. I really enjoy them with music that benefits from warmth and/or a lot of bass. The bass can be a bit much, but for thinly recorded music they're quite good. They can also be EQ'ed down of course, the earpads can be modded, or 75-ohm adapter used.

No flames from people who hate the bass... we all know they are very bassy, no need to harp on this point.

So what do you love about your Portapro(2)s?

P.S. I ordered a pair of replacement earpads from Koss.com for $5.00 shipped. They sent two pair (including the temple pads). Not sure if it was a mistake or standard practice, but very happy with that one
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 1,312
I find the portapro to sound great and get better comfort with the comfort zone adjustment but find them lacking in sound size and comfort as well. I found the ur-40 with the same drivers to have a much bigger sound and way better comfort and sound stage with the portapro sound signature.

Oct 15, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #3 of 1,312
My porta pros served me faithfully for 10 years without a hitch untill I lost them a month ago...sigh......alas everything happens for reasons as I wouldnt have discouvered head fi if it didnt happen!

I have since purchased another pair, and I love them almost as much as my last ones.

They sound terrific, and I think that the bass is their forte, not downfall. I love them and think they deserve a place in history as one of the best headphones ever made in their price category.

Oct 15, 2005 at 3:02 AM Post #4 of 1,312
I wanna try a Porta Pro, but they seems to be expensive when trying to acruire them to Canada...which kinda defeats the point.

and I woulldn't wear something with Koss written on it out it public...guess I'm shallow that way.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 15, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #5 of 1,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by guvnor
and I woulldn't wear something with Koss written on it out it public...guess I'm shallow that way.
rolleyes.gif

Huh??? Is there something "uncool" about Koss these days?
confused.gif

Oct 15, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 1,312
I see people walking around all the time with cans that have a big "COBY" printed on the side... I don't get why Koss would be any more or less cool than some other brand. Makes no sense, unless I'm missing something (or just getting old maybe
tongue.gif
).

Oct 15, 2005 at 3:18 AM Post #9 of 1,312
I really like the PortaPros. They were my first decent headphones, and a hell of a lot better than anything, speaker or headphone, that I heard at the time.

Unfortunately, my first pair disintegrated when the got inbetween my fist and a table. (Long story.) But, they gave as good as they took and I still have scars on my hand from the metal headband. A pair of PortaPro2s have since replaced them.

Oct 15, 2005 at 4:59 AM Post #11 of 1,312
I love my porta-pros. Two sets of pads, etc are included in the replacement package. The lifetime replacement is great, I'm on my second pair, used to travel a LOT! (2MM miles or so just on Delta). The airplane as listening environment is ?able at best. Great for the money spent. As to the poster not wanting "Koss" seen on his head, phooey!! Koss has built lots of good headphones and one great headphone (at least!) the Pro4AA. One of the best cans of the seventies.

Oct 15, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #12 of 1,312
I don't know why, but I have a funny feeling that CC was trying to liquidate all their stock of the PP2 when they had that price drop for them. I picked up the last PP2 from the only CC that had them in stock in the area. And we have at least 6 CC stores that are with < 30 min. drive from me

I think it's because Koss is putting out some new budget headphones while they're getting rid of all their old headphones. I noticed that they're not selling the KSC35 or KSC75 at Best Buy anymore.

As for appreciation ... I have the PortaPro and the PortaPro2 and I love them both! I rotate them on occasion ... sometimes I'm in a blue (PortaPro) mood and sometimes I'm in a black (PortaPro2) mood. Plus they both sound great on my X5. Too bad my AKG K26P is gathering dust.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageX
Has the portapro2 been discontinued, I cant even find it on the koss website, RS, Circuit city or google.... but it turned up on some japanese sites for some reason...

Oct 15, 2005 at 5:25 AM Post #13 of 1,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by damayor521
I think it's because Koss is putting out some new budget headphones while they're getting rid of all their old headphones. I noticed that they're not selling the KSC35 or KSC75 at Best Buy anymore.

Probably also means the PP won't be periodically going on sale at $20 anymore, now that they have the new lineup with KTX-Pro1 etc. Really a shame, because the PP, PP2 and KSC-35s have the best drivers, I think. IMO they're still worth full (street) price at $40.00, but not much more than that (particularly since Sennheiser got into the budget game). I doubt the Portapro will be completely discontinued anytime soon tho... according to Koss's website, it's their best seller.

P.S. I have a pair of KTX-Pro1, and I don't think they sound nearly as good as the Portapro2. Drivers are obviously different.

Oct 15, 2005 at 5:28 AM Post #14 of 1,312
I ahve two pairs for portable use (one for my wife) and I really like them, for portable use of course...For the 20.00 I paid in CC, what the heck and with lifetime warranty, what else to ask for?

Oct 15, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #15 of 1,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
I ahve two pairs for portable use (one for my wife) and I really like them, for portable use of course...

I use mine at home as well, with no sense of shame
biggrin.gif
... some aspects of the sound are "high end" (soundstaging in particular) and some (poor bass detail) are not, but they always sound musical to me. Only with certain music though, acoustic stuff can sound really 'off' because of the tonal balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back