Koss Tony Bennett or ATH-M50
May 29, 2012 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Orel

Head-Fier
Hi, I need some help. I'm now thinking between these two sets:
Koss Tony Bennett headphones - 75$ (Chose these over the DJ100 beause they have a detachable cable and come with a hard case).
ATH-M50 Pads - 20$
FiiO E6 + iPod LOD - 30$
Shipping - 15-20$ (I have to use a third party service to get the headphones to my country, or if I buy it from eBay it'll cost alot more).
Shorter quality cable - 5-10$
Overall: 145-155$
Or, simpely buying the Audio Technica ATH-M50 (or M50S) for 160$.
Portability is important for me but so is sound quality. Is the M50 managable for use outdoors? Is it fine using the non-hard carrying case and does the cable not get in the way? Because the difference in price isn't very big..
I listen mostly to rock, metal, jazz, orchestral music and abit of techno / pop, but not the ones with bass thumps.
I'd love to get some help, thanks in advance :)

May 29, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 21
i have no experience with the m50 but i do have the koss tony bennett headphone (just got it and havent had too much listening time), its very neutral, no boost of bass or treble and maybe even slightly bit mid forward. those who are looking for massive amount of bass will be disappointed. its also fairly dry sounding. the pads are not really good because they hurt my ears after a while but you dont have to worry about that since you are using different pads and i dont know if the m50 pads will change the way how it sounds. its fairly easy to drive with my e17, dont know about your e6. it doesnt isolate as well as my etymotic research hf 5 (which is an iem with deep insertion), when im on bart i can still hear the outside noises when it gets too loud. good luck with picking
smily_headphones1.gif

May 29, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #3 of 21
I strongly prefer the Koss's to the M50's. They have a much, much nicer mid range, and that benefits most types of music, including rock and classical.

May 29, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #4 of 21
also you dont have to get the shorter cable separately because it comes with a coiled cable that i believe is short enough for portable use, so you can save that 5 to 10 dollars.

May 29, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #5 of 21
You'd really need to know what type of sound signature you're looking for. Both are good.
If you want more forward mids, less bass and less treble, then get the Tony Bennett. If bass is a higher priority, then get the M50.
The M50 is also a bit less picky about amping, but definitely does benefit from an amp. I actually think the TB is more balanced sounding than the M50 despite it's forward mids.

I don't think the M50 is worth $160, $120 is a fair price. I think that's the current sale price on them.

Obviously I prefer the DJ100/TB, but I still think the M50 is good. I'm just not a fan of it's mids.

May 30, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #6 of 21
So that's 3 for Tony Bennett, surprising :p I actually heard the M50 were balanced and not bass heavy, and I heard a good bass heavy recommendation was the SRH750DJ. Anyway, if the mids really are that good I guess I'll go with Koss. I'd consider the DJ100 but it doesn't come with a case and that and the cable are worth the extra price.

May 30, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #7 of 21
comparing tony benett and m50 is almost like an apple and an orange

if you want a V-shaped sound sig, go for the m50. if you want a natural-ish with nice midrange, go for the koss. if youre buying the koss and an E6 and youre just going to use the bass boost EQ, go for the m50 instead.

but for the genres you mentioned and portability, id go for the koss.

May 30, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #8 of 21
I am asking the the same question as the thread starter. But if we add 7506 to this comparison which one to choose? I will prefer neutral sound over the heavy bass or harsh highs.

I am extremely happy with a highly modded and recabled ksc-35 for more than 6 years and really like the Koss sound (I also have an unmodded portapro, like it too).

If DJ100 sound is similar to an modded ksc-35 (actually portapro drivers), I will never hesitate to choose DJ100/TBSE over the others.

I also own GR-07 iem and an AKG-K340 full sized headphone (highly modded and recabled). These headphone choices may be a sign for someone who is going to give advise to me too.

May 30, 2012 at 5:06 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:
comparing tony benett and m50 is almost like an apple and an orange

if you want a V-shaped sound sig, go for the m50. if you want a natural-ish with nice midrange, go for the koss. if youre buying the koss and an E6 and youre just going to use the bass boost EQ, go for the m50 instead.

but for the genres you mentioned and portability, id go for the koss.

I agree.  For a mid-centric sound, get the Koss.  For a "V" shaped EQ with recessed mids, go with the M50.

May 30, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:
I am asking the the same question as the thread starter. But if we add 7506 to this comparison which one to choose? I will prefer neutral sound over the heavy bass or harsh highs.

I am extremely happy with a highly modded and recabled ksc-35 for more than 6 years and really like the Koss sound (I also have an unmodded portapro, like it too).

If DJ100 sound is similar to an modded ksc-35 (actually portapro drivers), I will never hesitate to choose DJ100/TBSE over the others.

I also own GR-07 iem and an AKG-K340 full sized headphone (highly modded and recabled). These headphone choices may be a sign for someone who is going to give advise to me too.

I'd pick the Sony (7506 or newer 7510) over both.  Like the Koss, the Sony has very good mids, but extends beyond that for a larger (but still balanced) frequency response.

May 30, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #11 of 21
i dont have the 7506 or 7510 but i have the z1000 (just officially discontinued) and its said to have the exact same sound as the 7520 so basically its a step up from the 7506 or 7510. the z1000 has a much richer sound but still very neutral and is incredibly detailed. i prefer the richer sound on my z1000 than my koss tsbe1 but i dont know about 7506 or 7510. you may like the sony (either 7506 or 7510) better than the koss and the m50 (again i have no experience with the m50). and about the srh750, i just read a post about them being extremely easy to break so maybe an issue. and if you can stretch a little bit, you also have a choice to get the dt770 (i dont have it but i like the sound of its open back brother, dt990, a lot and im using it at home, so i expect the dt770 has about the same sound)

May 30, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

I'd pick the Sony (7506 or newer 7510) over both.  Like the Koss, the Sony has very good mids, but extends beyond that for a larger (but still balanced) frequency response.

Thanks KG Jag,

How about the sound-stage and 3D on 7506? I will always prefer larger sound-stage and 3d feeling. Can you please compare the two?

I need something portable so 7510 is out of my list.

May 30, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:
i dont have the 7506 or 7510 but i have the z1000 (just officially discontinued) and its said to have the exact same sound as the 7520 so basically its a step up from the 7506 or 7510. the z1000 has a much richer sound but still very neutral and is incredibly detailed. i prefer the richer sound on my z1000 than my koss tsbe1 but i dont know about 7506 or 7510. you may like the sony (either 7506 or 7510) better than the koss and the m50 (again i have no experience with the m50). and about the srh750, i just read a post about them being extremely easy to break so maybe an issue. and if you can stretch a little bit, you also have a choice to get the dt770 (i dont have it but i like the sound of its open back brother, dt990, a lot and im using it at home, so i expect the dt770 has about the same sound)

Thanks reddragon,

z1000 is out of my price range. My upper limit is 120-150 USD.

So, TBSE, 7506 and M50 are on my radar. But from the reviews and comparisons I read I am leaning towards the TBSE.

But I want to know more about the strengths and weaknesses of 7506 compared to TBSE (DJ100). Also I will definately prefer larger and more 3d sound-stage.

May 30, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:
Thanks reddragon,

z1000 is out of my price range. My upper limit is 120-150 USD.

So, TBSE, 7506 and M50 are on my radar. But from the reviews and comparisons I read I am leaning towards the TBSE.

But I want to know more about the strengths and weaknesses of 7506 compared to TBSE (DJ100). Also I will definately prefer larger and more 3d sound-stage.

i dont have the 7506 but even the z1000 (i didnt have too much listening time on that either, just got it along with the tbse) doesnt even seem to have a really 3d soundstage. im pretty positive that my dt990 has larger soundstage but thats an open back headphone. for you, i say, go for tbse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back