KRK KNS-8400 vs ATH-M50 vs Beyerdynamic DT 770?
Mar 14, 2013 at 10:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

holbech

New Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy a pair of decent headphones, and i think for my taste, it's going to be one of these.
The comfort is an important factor. Also the headset will be used without any amp.
My taste of music is very extensive.

Which one should i get ?

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #4 of 9
My personal opinion, you have a safer bet with the KRK 8400 if you are driving from iPhone without an amp. Plus you will likely find its memory foam comfortable.

The Soundmagic HP100 has a sound signature closely reminiscent of the 8400 while improving over it in every way, but that needs a headphone amp.

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 9
Better comfort from those 3 will come from the Beyer DT 770 Pro... not necessarily the better sound though UNLESS you like lots of bass! :wink:

What will be the main purpose of the headphones? What genres do you listen? Do you like vocals more than bass? Do you care about mids? etc. etc.

From those three I would PROBABLY select the M50s based on audio reproduction. I like the KRKs but the lack of amount of bass turns me off from some specific music genres. The Beyers have too much recessed mids (more than the M50 to my ears), so my listening to Fiona Apple, Amber Rubarth, Esperanza Spalding, etc. will not be as satisfying...

It all depends on your taste... welcome to head-fi.

Good luck.

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Yeah the Beyer's are very comfortable. They don't sound bad unamped, either, but they get quite a bit better with amping.

Thats to pros as i see it. It's nice enough to have a pair that can be "upgraded" without buying a new pair of headphones. But as it is now, with my setup, and my listening rhythm, an amp would be kinda stupid, as i'm going to be using them mostly on the run.
Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Better comfort from those 3 will come from the Beyer DT 770 Pro... not necessarily the better sound though UNLESS you like lots of bass! :wink:

What will be the main purpose of the headphones? What genres do you listen? Do you like vocals more than bass? Do you care about mids? etc. etc.

From those three I would PROBABLY select the M50s based on audio reproduction. I like the KRKs but the lack of amount of bass turns me off from some specific music genres. The Beyers have too much recessed mids (more than the M50 to my ears), so my listening to Fiona Apple, Amber Rubarth, Esperanza Spalding, etc. will not be as satisfying...

It all depends on your taste... welcome to head-fi.

Good luck.

I like a bit of bass, but not to much, depends on how clear the highs are.

As for my music genres, it's very extensive as mentioned in the first post. But if i have to specify the genres that i listen to the most, it probably would be rock/heavymetal and house/other electronic genres.

Thanks for the welcome, and for the input.

Quote:
My personal opinion, you have a safer bet with the KRK 8400 if you are driving from iPhone without an amp. Plus you will likely find its memory foam comfortable.

The Soundmagic HP100 has a sound signature closely reminiscent of the 8400 while improving over it in every way, but that needs a headphone amp.

Okay, but i won't be getting a headset, which needs an amp :)
But thanks for the input!

Mar 17, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #8 of 9
Please let me know, i'll be running the headset from an iPhone 5 aswell.

My Beyer DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm came in yesterday and I've been listening about 6 hours. I'm very impressed with them and they even sound decent unamped from my iPhone 5. I've tried unamped and amped with an E6 and honestly I probably won't be carrying the E6 on a day to day basis.

Mar 17, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #9 of 9
SoundMAGIC HP100:

http://www.amazon.com/SoundMAGIC-HP100-Premium-Folding-Headphones/dp/B0086YJ86Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363550897&sr=8-1&keywords=soundmagic+hp100&tag=appmatic-20

Users who are viewing this thread

Back