La Figaro 339
Jul 1, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #6,871 of 6,903
Tubes are an enigmatic science; they influence the sound in their own way.
I have been using the 7236 + 5693, with the HEDDphone - I am preferring the GE 6AS7GA and 6SJ7GT mesh (if you know, they are the Rolls Royce of 6SJ7 driver tubes).

The 6AS7GA adds to the low end slam and wide soundstage, and the 6SJ7GT mesh retains treble detail without blooming out the midrange which the 5693 does tend to do. The 5693 is a bit too warm leaning sometimes for the HEDDphone.
For reference I've tried 7236 + 6SJ7GT mesh and the soundstage was flat to me, a little lifeless - but with the 6AS7GA is vivid, warm, detailed, resolving etc...

Logic would dictate that you HAVE to be happy with 7236 + 6SJ7GT mesh... maybe the 7236 is best saved for the Feliks Euforia... follow your heart and your ears... logic is a guide only... you walk your own path

Jul 1, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #6,872 of 6,903
Add insult to injury... 6AS7GA cost $15 per tube... essentially free... 7236 currently selling for 10 * that price on eBay.
That said the 6SJ7GT mesh are adding that special linearity and they are even rarer :wink:

Jul 1, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #6,873 of 6,903
Tubes are an enigmatic science; they influence the sound in their own way.
I have been using the 7236 + 5693, with the HEDDphone - I am preferring the GE 6AS7GA and 6SJ7GT mesh (if you know, they are the Rolls Royce of 6SJ7 driver tubes).

The 6AS7GA adds to the low end slam and wide soundstage, and the 6SJ7GT mesh retains treble detail without blooming out the midrange which the 5693 does tend to do. The 5693 is a bit too warm leaning sometimes for the HEDDphone.
For reference I've tried 7236 + 6SJ7GT mesh and the soundstage was flat to me, a little lifeless - but with the 6AS7GA is vivid, warm, detailed, resolving etc...

Logic would dictate that you HAVE to be happy with 7236 + 6SJ7GT mesh... maybe the 7236 is best saved for the Feliks Euforia... follow your heart and your ears... logic is a guide only... you walk your own path

Thank you for suggesting this combo. I just went on Ebay and ordered a pair of NOS GE 6AS7GA (~$40 w shipping). For this price, it's worth a shot. Will try this in my setup. I currently don't have 6SJ7GT. What I have are (1) Philips 6SJ7WGT, and (2) Tung Sol 6SD7GT. I will be on the lookout for some 6SJ7GT tubes. Is there any particular brand I should be looking for?

Thanks. This thread is one of the most productive ones on Head-fi I think.

Jul 1, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #6,874 of 6,903
I can give you two links...
6SJ7GT mesh - these have a mesh plate inside, as opposed to solid metal plates. As close to linear as you are likely to get with this amp.
I was thinking of purchasing these for myself but I have many pairs of these already -
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1449903...uid=8nvZ6vG5QIG&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The 6AS7GA you can get for even cheaper than your previous purchase here also - I have 7 pairs for myself from this site
https://www.parts-express.com/6AS7GA-6AS7-GE-JAN-Vacuum-Tube-072-612

I don't believe the 6SD7GT is compatible with the LF339.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #6,875 of 6,903
6SJ7GT mesh - these have a mesh plate inside, as opposed to solid metal plates. As close to linear as you are likely to get with this amp.
I was thinking of purchasing these for myself but I have many pairs of these already -
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1449903...uid=8nvZ6vG5QIG&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The 6AS7GA you can get for even cheaper than your previous purchase here also - I have 7 pairs for myself from this site

Thank you again. I just ordered the 6SJ7GT tubes. Certainly very affordable.

As for the 6SD7GT, they came as part of the package when I bought the amp from another member. Without knowing much about tubes, I tried them in the 339 and they worked! We had a discussion about it in this thread sometime back, to be found here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/la-figaro-339.502306/page-297. Someone even commented, how similar they look to the 6SJ7GT. I haven’t used these tubes in a while since, but from memory they worked and sounded normal. I will test them again and report.

Jul 2, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #6,876 of 6,903

Nice stock:) and i was thinking i went too far with my 7 pairs of chatham 6as7 and five TS 5998:)

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 4:57 AM Post #6,877 of 6,903
Nice stock:) and i was thinking i went too far with my 7 pairs of chatham 6as7 and TS 5998:)
7 pairs of 5998 is outrageous when I have none, and they are selling for $2k on eBay for a quad!

Jul 2, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #6,878 of 6,903
7 pairs of 5998 is outrageous when I have none, and they are selling for $2k on eBay for a quad!
Actually 7 refered to chathams. I have five pairs of 5998 (corrected the post). USD 2k is not a market price, even for a quad. If You are patient You may got a pair for usd 300 (at least i saw such a price not long ago). In any case i bought them long ago i could not afford them now. I also do not think they are worth current price.... prices are going crazy, even for others 6as7/6080 tubes.

Sep 5, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #6,879 of 6,903

After I received these tubes, I didn't have a chance to post my impressions for a while, but I have been listening to these tube combinations and making mental notes.

So, thank you again for pointing to these tubes, especially the 6SJ7GT mesh plate. These definitely live up to their reputation. They improve any power tube I tested with them with improved treble smoothness and overall a balanced FR.

While comparing among the TS 5998, Sylvania 7236 and GE 6AS7GA (all in conjunction with 6SJ7GT mesh), I came across some interesting observations. I tested these with one dynamic driver HD800, and one planar Audeze LCD3. GE 6AS7GA indeed worked very well with HD800, but I still found the 7236 sounding the best. GE 6AS7GA cast a wide and holographic soundstage with good bass impact, but there was still some treble harshness in certain tracks. This was resolved with 7236 and I may have noticed an increase in the soundstage depth. However, these observations are dependent on the headphone also, as I will mention subsequently.

I have a set of HD800-intolerable:wink: tracks for testing, mostly poorly mastered albums with peaky highs. These are the ones I use for testing synergy with HD800, alongside other well-mastered tracks. They helped me to discern the differences between GE6AS7GA and 7236, which are already very good tubes.

Between the TS 5998 and 7236, surprisingly I found the 7236 still the best for HD800, although 5998 are far more expensive and highly recommended by many. I simply found the 5998 to be too dynamic and treble harsh for HD800. 7236 seems to have slightly rolled off treble that works in favor of HD800 by taming the highs and bringing out better bass impact.

Couple of notes, when I say HD800, my baseline for comparison is a Violectric V280 amp sourced from Hugo 2 using upscaled stream from Hqplayer into Hugo2's dual BNC. V280 is a top recommended amp for HD800 due to its bass impact and smooth treble. I used the same setup, only replacing V280 with LF339. I found the 7236/6SJ7GT combo better than the V280 due to the former's slightly better treble extension while not sounding harsh. This, combined with the tube holographic effect leads to a more engaging experience IMO. I think, GE6AS7GA/6SJ7GT is a close second, while TS5998 a third. I kept the 6SJ7GT throughout, because it's clearly the best input tube in my collection. My HD800 is early edition with leaner bass and higher highs (SDR mod applied), so LF339 does a pretty good job with taming treble and providing bass impact.

Now, these observations change when I substitute HD800 with the LCD3. The 7236 combo now sounds flattened in soundstage and the timbre also sounds slightly unnatural to my ears. 5998 really wins here in every aspect, soundstage, bass impact, magic of the mids, more natural timbre. It's confusing why the 7236, which had great bass with HD800, will show less bass impact with LCD3, which is bass heavier than HD800. At the end, I feel the impedance characteristics of the planar reacts differently than the HD800 with the electrical characteristics of individual tubes. Also in a OTL design, where the headphones are directly connected to the tube terminals without any buffer like transformer in the middle, the tube/headphone impedance synergy could be more apparent than transformer coupled designs, although this is my own speculation, not for sure.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #6,881 of 6,903
They don't sell the La Figaro 339i anymore which is a shame.
I still have mine and I’m not selling. :)
I had two but did sell one to a happy member on here.
They are quite rare now to even find in the secondary market.
The bass is something magical and powerful in that amp that I have not found in any other tube amp I have experienced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back