LARGE HEAD! Want closed circumaural cans for less than $250, unamped preferred. Opinions?
Jan 12, 2011 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Hanafuda

500+ Head-Fier
I've got this problem which is that my head is HUGE. How huge? "99th percentile plus" according to a Johns-Hopkins educated neurologist. I did the IEM thing for a while and was never happy with the sound, and never happy with durability either. I've settled on some cheap IEM's (JVC HA-FX67, excellent comfort, unspectacular sound, worth the $25) for portable use. I want to buy some full-sized headphones, closed because isolation is needed, and preferably for use unamped although I would consider something 'borderline' that sounds okay from a portable source but benefits from an amp, since I'll probably be buying one eventually. But most importantly, it needs to be able to accommodate a big noggin. My 18yr old son recently bought the ATH-M50 and while it sounds great for the price, I found it too clampy. You should have seen the ripples I put in the headband padding! LOL

Okay so anyway I'm not deformed or anything, just a big guy with a big head. The short list right now is 1) Denon D-1100, 2) Beyer DT770 32ohm, 3) Shure SR840, and 4) ATH-M50. (And if necessary, bend 'em.) My source is a 1st gen Zune but I'm looking at the Cowon J3 as a replacement. Not concerned about portability.

My musical tastes are broad ... rock, classical, psy/goa stuff, etc. I've read the D1100 is bass-heavy and that concerns me because it seems like it might fit my head without too much clamp and at $125 the price is very right. I'd love to hear from anyone who can tell me how the Beyer works for big heads, as well as how it compares to others on the list. And as noted in the title (because I expect other suggestions), circumaural only please.

All assistance is appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back