Laurel vs Yanny : VOTE POLL & Someone please explain!

What do you hear???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 16, 2018 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 145

Soundsgoodtome

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, you've probably seen/heard this going around. If not, this same audio clip when played in a room will get people to hear both Yanny OR Laurel. So how do some people hear Yanny and why do some hear Laurel?!?

It isn't some trick btw, I've tried it with 4 people in a room and it was 3 to 1 on Yanny:Laurel ratio.

What's the deal, input your thoughts, and someone please explain this ridiculous tidal wave all over the news and social media now!!

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #3 of 145
This is what I hear...

latest

May 16, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 145
I don't hear this...

b2b55a4e0bb3b9942296b99ba4164c1e--flare-brother.jpg

May 16, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 145
May 16, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #7 of 145
This explains it

I heard Yanny all morning, watched the video, could hear both. Played the clip again after 20 min and now all I hear is Laurel.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-hea...rel-audio-science-explained-nature-of-reality

I'm just trying to imagine how something akin to the cut that makes 'Yanny' could happen to one's hearing. "Hey I can't hear under 1k!"

Also to note: People are like 'oh people over 25 can't here gud!', but another factor is that people over 25 might have speakers/headphones worth a damn :wink:

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #10 of 145
I'm just trying to imagine how something akin to the cut that makes 'Yanny' could happen to one's hearing. "Hey I can't hear under 1k!"

Also to note: People are like 'oh people over 25 can't here gud!', but another factor is that people over 25 might have speakers/headphones worth a damn :wink:
It is very strange, our brain is complex machine lol

May 16, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #11 of 145
I need some massive change of pitch to hear anything other than a Laurel with chewed Ls like said by the first dog to learn how to speak properly. even with the pitch change what I hear is never Yanny it's more of a yarry, narry, larry... for me.
tried to fool around with my EQ but nothing seems to really work aside from almost completely filter out the signal. which really wouldn't explain why people hear Yanni even on mono cellphone tweeters rolling off the low end at 400hz. so maybe what we use to listen to the track doesn't have a big impact on what we perceive here? at least it doesn't for me.

now that sirious biznez is done:
could it be the same issue as people who look at the planet and see it flat or round? ^_^

the dress is blue it is a fact. those who see it gold are wrong! ahahahahah, you're wrong and I'm right !!!! victory!!!!!!!!!!!

ps: perhaps the alien invasion started years ago and those tests are used by the government to make them expose themselves unknowingly. if you're an alien and you hear Yanni or see a gold dress, do not tell anybody about it, it is a trap! and I'm a little late, but welcome to our planet. let's be friends.

May 16, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #13 of 145
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html

So the New York times created a slider that changes the pitch and it's super weird. You can really mess with your brain. If you move the slider very slowly, i can almost get all the way in the Laurel side before I actually start hearing Laurel. If I hear Laurel, and start moving slowly back to the yanny side I can get just past the middle before I hear yanny again. Normally, in the middle I hear yanny. About one increment over is where I hear Laurel if it's fresh and not playing in a loop.

Weird stuff. Some of my co-workers have areas they can hear both, but I don't have that anywhere I can tell.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #14 of 145
Duplicate, please delete.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back