Lawton earpads for Ultrasone Pro 900
Sep 6, 2012 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

conquerator2

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys! :)
So I was looking for a replacement for the original stock Velvet/Velour Earpads.
The "membrane"(well its almost that thin so I find this term appropriate) which separates your ears from the titanium drivers is just so thin that you pretty much end up pushing against the driver with your ear, resulting (sooner or later) in a good deal of discomfort.
Also due to the softness and thinness of the pads, they leak plenty of sound which is not helping in any way either. 
Since the JMoney, the most popular aftermarket Denon earpad maker doesnt seem to be around anymore, I was looking for an alternative.
The Lawton earpads  seem to be almost identical to the JMoney pads (down to some minor differences)
Namely Im looking at the Denon angle pads (v1.2 I think?) (http://www.lawtonaudio.com/page10.html) which I was planning to hot glue on a spare pair of the stock pads which came with the package. This is done by striping off the spare cup (cushion) off the plastic circular base which holds it in place and then hot gluing the Denom pads on this very base.
The credit goes to Colmustard (here are the instructions more thoroughly detailed (http://www.head-fi.org/t/527451/ultrasone-pro-900-appreciation-thread/840#post_7394842)) as it was all his idea (or so I believe).
So my question is this:
Are the Lawton lambskin pads the exact same as the JMoney pads?
In other words, will it work the same way or will it work at all?
Has anybody tried these specific pads? 
To my knowledge, in terms of construction it is almost identical so in theory, it should offer the same sound characteristics  and advantages/disadvantages as the original JMoney pads did?
I would very much like a confirmation that this is indeed the case before I order, to make sure it is 100 bucks well spent (hopefully :-S) 
Thanks for your help, guys!
Luke, the fellow head-fier :-D 

Sep 7, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #2 of 5
I dont think this is the best idea. And I only half agree with your assesment of the velour pads. The driver is a lil too close to your ears, but I think they isolate like crazy good! I dont think the lawton pads will isolate as well. Personally I recommend putting a double layer of dynamat extrme inside the cups. One layer isn't enuff weight and three layers is too much. The sound will improve some but with the extra weight the cups will fit just right and be much more comfortable. The problem after that is that the stock headband pad isnt enuff to compesate for the extra weight and that will become uncomfortable. For that issue you need to purchase a sennheiser hd 650 headband pad. U just pull the stock pad off with a butter knife and use velcro to adhere the new 650 pad to the headband. There is a recess in the headband underneath the stock headband pad and the velcro will fit nicely in it.  Both mods are fairly simple and cheap. The dynamt extreme is $25 from summit auto and you will have enuff to do a second or third headphone. The hd 650 headband pad just call 1-877-736-6434 ext.1. Sennheiser just recently restocked that part and its only $15 with shipping! An absolute steal for what it does. This is only if you live in the U.S. though. The one thing I would caution you on is the little screws will strip easily when putting the dynamat inside the cups. The wires conecting the driver to the headphones is also pretty frail. Just take your time and dont get in a hurry as these to mods easily add $100 to your phones. The velour pads also need a little more breaking in than leather/pleather IMO.

Sep 7, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #3 of 5
Hi Antimatter! Could you please elaborate more on why dont you recommend the Lawton pads? The JMoney pads looked alike and had the aforementioned attributes. Also there is a link in the original post where Colmustard guy clearly states that they improved things. Thanks! Best regards, Luke

Sep 8, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #4 of 5
The Lawton pads are not designed for the pro 900's. You are also looking at old posts,back when the pro 9's first came out, and no disrespect but I feel like some of those mods are really overboard. I tested 5 headphones before I bought these. The d-2000, beats pro, hdj-2000, and K550. You bought the best stock headphone in its price range if you like electronic music. The velour cups aren't found on the other headphones I tested, they're pleather, and trust me the velour smokes them. You also wont see any money back on this mod and its a decently priced mod. The 2 I mentioned are much much cheaper and I think it will solve your problems. I know your phones came with a spare set of cups but those cups aren't cheap. Around 55 bucks last time I checked. The velour also needs some burn in as well as the driver .On top of being unbelievable with electronica these headphones are built so much better than any of the other 4 headphones I tried and I really feel the velour cups is part of that. I can tell you heart is set on these lawton pads but your brain and wallet will thank me if you try the other 2 mods first. Also I was wondering if you have a headphone amp. If not then that would be first on my list before the headband pad and dynamat in that order. Thats really all pro9's need. Just 3 cheap items. And even with a $50 cmoy amp my 3 items still come in under a pair of angle pads. I think owners of these headphones are looking a gift horse in the mouth if they dont like the cups. If these mods aren't enuff for you THEN get the angle pads THEN get a cable. I also preety much have the complete oppisite view as colmustard on the cups and cable of the pro 9. They're really badass stock IMO.

Sep 8, 2012 at 6:08 AM Post #5 of 5
Just wait a couple weeks and I will have a new pair of la d-2000's. If they're really that much better I will reccomend them. Of course im not transfering them over to my pro 9's. I will just give you a review of how they are on the denon's. Took advantage of mark's summer sale to find a nice warm match to my cold pro's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back