LCD-X and XC Update
Apr 17, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #421 of 2,740
Anyone have experience with Audeze customer support? I've been getting some generic responses with no updates to my order. I'm trying to cancel and again get the same generic responses and no signs of cancelation. If their CS is this bad they should just not sell directly from their site. Leave it to the retailers.
They seem really swamped. I canceled my order after realizing "in stock" items were likely 2 to 3 weeks out from leaving the facility. Don't even know how long things that are out of stock will take.

Apr 17, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #422 of 2,740
They seem really swamped. I canceled my order after realizing "in stock" items were likely 2 to 3 weeks out from leaving the facility. Don't even know how long things that are out of stock will take.
Exaclty, my order was taking forever, there was no indication of any backorder. How long did it take to get a refund?

Apr 19, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #426 of 2,740
Hi, I'm Stefan and new to headphones.

I would like to ask you guys for some advice. I've had an LCD-X 2021 here for about 3 weeks, it's a B stock so it's played a lot of hours I suppose. It sounds super good, I really like these headphones. Inspired by the good reviews of the LCD-XC I also ordered these headphones to test and want to keep one. They arrived last Friday and are brand new. My hope was that they would sound as good as the open LCD-X. But already after 2 songs (Doin' it right, Daft Punk and something with church organ) it was immediately clear, something is missing. The bass is not transparent, does not dissolve so well. No punch compared to the LCD-X. The bass is very restrained. On "Doin' it right" it goes down very low, but the sound resonates for a long time and is below the rest. It's like a kind of reverberation in the low end, but in the positive. This is clearly audible with the LCD-X (and also with the reference speaker system, Genelec 8260, and also with iem's FiiO FD5). I use the RME ADI2 DAC without EQ below 300 Hz.

With the LCX-X I don't boost the bass, only the upper mid and lower treble. With the LCD-XC, I had to use a bass shelf of about 4-6 dB to get a similar sound in the bass as with the LCD-X. But then the overall sound doesn't match. I find this strange, I always thought the burn-in can't be that relevant, but now it's my only hope, because I really want to like and keep the XC. If it doesn't get better, then the LCD-X would be clearly superior imho. That would contradict everything you read, or that the difference between X and XC is so great.

Have been running pink and white noise for more than 40 hours, it is better, but not to an extent that I am happy. Wearing glasses makes no real difference.

I still miss the air between the instruments/layers and find the low frequency drop too fast compared to the X. It sounds like an over-damped diaphragm.

So far I like the X cleary better, it sounds better to my ears. There is much more air between the instruments ... I realise there is a difference in the systems, open vs. closed, but I was hoping it wouldn't be as big with the X and XC. As I'm new to headphones, it's hard for me to describe what I'm hearing correctly, but I hope you can understand my problem.

What are your experiences with the XC/X and the break-in period?
What do you use, pink noise, music, sinus sweeps, low frequency tones? And for how long?
I was hoping 40-50 hours would be enough ....

Greetings and have a nice week, Stefan

FYI, I've already asked similar questions at headphones.com, as there are probably few who have already AB-compared the current X and XC models. So I'll try again here ... Time is running as I have to decide this week ...

Apr 19, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #427 of 2,740
Got the tracking numbers for both my upgraded LCD-XCs, they both had arrived at Audeze last week, so turnaround appears quick.

Apr 19, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #428 of 2,740
I have only just bought a pair of XC’s to add some closed back high end headphones to my collection. It bought them just days before the updated version was released. After listening to the XC’s for a week I decided to stick with what I had but as I had bought the creator edition I missed out on the storage case. I dropped Audeze a line and within 24 hours they had got back in touch and offered me the case. They didn’t ask for a review but I thought good customer service was worth a mention. Cheers Audeze!

(ps as I am in the uk I did pay for shipping)

Apr 19, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #430 of 2,740
is it a deal breaker iyo if your ears gently touch the mesh inside the lcd-2 or any headphone for that matter? my ears ( right more then left) touch/graze the mesh slightly and i am not sure how i feel about that as i am not used to having something like that happen before

this is with the new pads, the old pad model i tried in the past did not have this issue

is it unresonable to expect every headphone to completely not touch my ears even slightly? i am not sure as i dont know much about this matter

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #431 of 2,740
is it a deal breaker iyo if your ears gently touch the mesh inside the lcd-2 or any headphone for that matter? my ears ( right more then left) touch/graze the mesh slightly and i am not sure how i feel about that as i am not used to having something like that happen before

this is with the new pads, the old pad model i tried in the past did not have this issue

is it unresonable to expect every headphone to completely not touch my ears even slightly? i am not sure as i dont know much about this matter
Make sure that the thinnest part of the pad is facing forward and the thickest part is at the back and see if that helps.

If that doesn't help, they aren't installed properly or are incompatible with your body.

One thing that I have noticed is that the headband is tiled forward more than it should, and if you just put the headband where you think it should be at the top of your head, it isn't in its optimal position.

I don't know what the deal is with this. It almost seems like the brackets were design based on the old pads that were more even all around.

My headband is towards the front of my head when the headphone is in it's best sounding position.

Apr 20, 2021 at 1:22 AM Post #435 of 2,740
There's nothing particularly unique about LCD4 frequency response. The 4Z, MX4 and even LCD2 aren't that different. A couple of DBs difference in a few places.

Use an EQ and adjust a few frequencies by 1 to 3 dB. Depending on the music you can barely notice a big change.

It looks like Audeze maybe rethinking their house sound. Why go super dark and send a whole bunch of customers to Focal, Hifiman, DCA, Stax etc? Better to release a slightly brighter tuning that appeals to a wider customer base imho.
Well...it’s working for me at least. These just hit my short list for my next purchase.

I had always be interested in the LCD line and had been a little disappointed in their low end stuff.

Research has shown that for me, the LCD series probably wasn’t what I was looking for (I don’t EQ, I’m newish to 500+ gear). Now...this LCD-X might be for me...only question is do I buy the LCD-X 2021 or wait and see if they release a new flagship...and maybe buy that instead. Thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back