Less leaky alternative for Sony XB500
Aug 24, 2011 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

pukism

New Head-Fier
I would like to buy a general purpose headphones with some emphasis on bass. The XB500 appears to be great in many ways except for sound leak. What would you recommend in similar price / quality range?

Aug 24, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #2 of 7
I think the AKG K81DJ's are very comparable in sound, though isolate very, very well.

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #3 of 7
The AKGs lose bigtime in soundstage, it's the headphone with absolutely worst soundstage I've heard even compared to XB500 it's far behind as well as bass extension, the AKG have lots of punchy mid bass but lacks subbass response IMO, bass extension and soundstage and comfort wise put aside they are very similar, a warm presentation (mids are a bit more present in relation to highs) with very up-front / on the stage sound. I don't know any similar sounding headphones in that range.

Aug 24, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #6 of 7
I had the SJ55's, and I can say they really don't even compare. They have a decent amount of bass punch, bur their overall sound seemed very weird to me. I guess the best way to describe it was it had a lot of strange peaks and valleys. The upper-mids were kind of spiked, while the lower mids were almost entirely dropped out. Some bass notes seemed outright missing, while others seemed to stand out too much. I think they were the strangest headphone I've ever heard, to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back