milkpowder

Headphoneus Supremus
This is what happened to my dad's speaker: perforated + dented tweeter
frown.gif

dsc1390pt2.jpg

dsc1394xh5.jpg

Repair bill is upwards of $1.2k
eek.gif
Who knew it only came with one year warranty?
rolleyes.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 32
What a bummer. The Beryllium made tweeters are to my ears the best going. The Ushers use them also.
Back on topic. I have a locked door to my music room and a sign on the door that says DO NOT ENTER. I have heard to many stories about cleaning people wiping out cartridges with there dusters.

Mar 28, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #6 of 32
If it weren't for this incident, I wouldn't have known that the diaphragm is so darned thin and fragile. Fortunately, the dealer in HK is very efficient and will come pick it up tomorrow. It should be back on Monday - Tuesday the latest (so I was told).

I inquired about having tweeters on both channels replaced because of the possibility of a channel imbalance between a well used (1.5 year) and brand new diaphragm. The dealer said it shouldn't be a problem. Good.

Mar 28, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #8 of 32
I would say 1.2K for a Be tweeter is actually not bad. Whoever finds this shocking, look up the price for these JMLabs! Too bad, sorry for the trouble, but good to know they can be replaced.

Mar 28, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sue the cleaner ..........

Hey, he is not in US where people can sue anyone for apparently anything.
wink.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #11 of 32
I always put my grilles back on my speakers if I'm having people round.

Bad luck though dude. Was the change in sound immediately noticeable? Distortion?

Mar 28, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sue the cleaner ..........

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, he is not in US where people can sue anyone for apparently anything.
wink.gif

The cleaner is actually our 'domestic helper/maid'. Bearing in mind the amount she earns, it would be pointless, unreasonable and hence irrational to sue her. It's the first time she's done anything like this so she's off the hook. Anyhow, we don't sue people for everything over here
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always put my grilles back on my speakers if I'm having people round.

Bad luck though dude. Was the change in sound immediately noticeable? Distortion?

I think it was the grille which actually caused the damage. It was probably knocked off and into the tweeter due to it only being magnetically attached to the circumference of the diaphragm. You'd think that was pretty improbably, huh?
confused.gif

hifi640x480p1050781yq0.jpg

I haven't actually listened to it yet... Do you think it would do any (more) harm to try?

Mar 28, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #13 of 32
Wow that sucks. When the cleaning lady came over to clean my room once, I noticed my turntable balance was off, my speaker in difference placement, and some tube dampeners not on correctly. Needless to say, my room is off limits now.

Mar 28, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #14 of 32
I feel with you and your father.
Its certainly not fun when some of your expensive gear break down. Especially when someone else break it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back