Let's talk about pens...
Dec 6, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #151 of 163
Here's my favourite pen

Attachments

• 20200629_233148.jpg
    20200629_233148.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Sep 8, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #152 of 163
I am not a fountain pen collector but I use them daily.

My favorite is the Pelikan Souveran M600. Over the years I have tried Lamy, Sailor, TWSBI, Vanishing Point, and several others, long ago forgotten. Pelikan Souveran M600 is my favorite. It will always write, its piston fill is superb, its chamber holds lots of ink and if not dropped it will last forever with nib changes. The Pelikan Gold nibs are the best.

Several months ago, I was carrying my favorite M600 in my shirt pocket and it fell out when loading the car with groceries. I got into the car and drove away. I spent two days recreating my steps, got into my car and drove to the grocery store. I looked around where I had parked and saw my crushed pen on the ground. I was probably the car that drove over it. I nearly cried. I graded 15 years of high school chemistry work with that pen. Replaced the nib after 10 years and kept using it til the mishap...
That is heartbreaking! I have a M800 that I baby.

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #153 of 163
I've been checking out the Lamy 2000, but admittedly only because of its looks.
I have the Lamy 2k and it is a workhorse of a pen; I can recommend it. Definitely worth looking into.

Sep 8, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #154 of 163
That is heartbreaking! I have a M800 that I baby.
The M800 is a bit too large for my hand. The M600 is perfect.

Regarding my mishap, there is more: I had meticulously repaired the cap just 2 weeks earlier using acrylic cement and a capilary tube. Buffed it down so the crack was not visible. All that before the grocery parking lot incident. My good fountain pens never leave the house now.

I have a TWSBI Vac pen for when I grocery shopping. TWSBI's Vacuum filler is just plain stupid IMHO. Even with their special ink well, you can never get the chamber to fill beyond 75%. In order to fill it from a regular ink bottle, you need it practically full. A terrible design.

Sep 8, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #155 of 163
I have the Vac 700 (I think that's what it's called) and you're right. I have the Vac pen in my EDC bag tho.

Sep 8, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #156 of 163
The M800 is a bit too large for my hand. The M600 is perfect.

Regarding my mishap, there is more: I had meticulously repaired the cap just 2 weeks earlier using acrylic cement and a capilary tube. Buffed it down so the crack was not visible. All that before the grocery parking lot incident. My good fountain pens never leave the house now.

I have a TWSBI Vac pen for when I grocery shopping. TWSBI's Vacuum filler is just plain stupid IMHO. Even with their special ink well, you can never get the chamber to fill beyond 75%. In order to fill it from a regular ink bottle, you need it practically full. A terrible design.

I dropped my vanishing point, breaking the nib, while I was taking notes on a park bench not long ago.

Pro Tip: Dont' use the expensive fountain pen that requires you to replace the whole converter/nib assembly that costs almost as much as the pen itself (rather than just the nib) to take notes outside when sitting above concrete :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #157 of 163
I dropped my vanishing point, breaking the nib, while I was taking notes on a park bench not long ago.

Pro Tip: Dont' use the expensive fountain pen that requires you to replace the whole converter/nib assembly that costs almost as much as the pen itself (rather than just the nib) to take notes outside when sitting above concrete :sweat_smile:
:sweat:

that's rough! I have a Pilot VP as well and could totally agree how delicate they are. i used to carry my FPs everywhere, but now i'm satisfied with the Zebra Sarasa i keep on my keyboard at work.

ill have to go back and look at the pens i have. off the top of my head i have:

- visconti homo sapiens dark ages
- pelikan m805
- lamy 2000
- pilot VP
- kaweco AL sport
- sailor 1911
- pilot custom 823
- mont blanc marilyn monroe edition (for the wife)
- twsbi diamond 580 ALR
- twsbi precision press
- twsbi vac 700
- rotring pen and pencil (not sure which model)
- countless lamy safari
- lamy lx
- lamy studio

i know i have more, and my wife has even more than i do. we also have tried all kinds of paper and ink. i kind of stopped looking at pens when i started getting back into audio, and its been a while since ive used them.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #158 of 163
Regarding the VP: The area around the tip, where the nib goes into is prone to developing cracks. At least that was my experience with them in the late '90's. It seemed like a great option for school. but after one semester, mine started to crack. I haven't owned one since.

Jul 25, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #159 of 163
Now I need to buy it to find a way to hurt someone with it
You keep you Zebra Stainless Steel F130 ballpoint pen clipped under your T-shirt and as a last resort you feign touching your throat as you reach for it and say:

I bet you didn't know it,
but I'm a great poet.
But your face is going to show it
so everyone will know it.
And there will be no question
for anyone at all.
Because I'm going to autograph
your freaking eyeball.

Now how would you like that signed? Trihexagonal?

Dec 12, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #161 of 163
Kepeak-pen.jpg

AAA battery for perspective

Mine is very nice and well assembled, but I read some other reviews that were not at all positive. Reports about them falling apart or being loose and noisy when shaken.

Mine is perfect. It's much heavier and more sturdy than my Zebra pens and has taken their place clipped on the inside of my T-shirt.

How much of a weapon it is largely depends on your skill level. Kung-fu guys use short sticks about the same size and are adept at doing so.

I'm confident in my abilities, will get right up in your face and you won't see it out of both eyes, much less one, until I've used it.
I'll box box with a box in my hand though. :p

Hands of Stone, it's a real thing.

Jun 30, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #162 of 163
IMG_0703.JPG

Sharing the collection of pens and pencils. Not pictured is the Vanishing Point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back