Let's talk about pens...
Jul 2, 2019 at 8:48 PM Post #121 of 163
While packing up for a move, I found the Fisher Space Pen I lost two years ago under my entertainment center. It worked just like new! Wrote beautifully with no skips or warm-up. Crazy.

I still prefer pens with Schmidt Easyflow 9000 for quality of writing, but man, that Space Pen is damn reliable.

Yeah, I love the Easyflow cartridges. I have some Jinhao pens I’ve retrofitted with the 9000 cartridge.

Jul 2, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #122 of 163
A shot of my favorite pen, Pilot 823

32178554_2067705106824026_6539451599264153600_n.jpg

Jul 9, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #123 of 163
I’m loving my yellow ohto horizon! Cool looking, feels great in the hand, and writes nice and crisp.

When I priced the Ohto Horizon here on Amazon UK, they were asking the equivalent of $30 which I thought was too much. How much did you pay? Where did you get it?

About a month ago I found a new pink one on Ebay. I had to bid and I won it for around $4. UK seller. I am wondering if it is fake. It does not have that little button that I see on all the other photos. Did they ever make them like this? Maybe there is a reason I was the only bidder?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ohto-Horizon-Aluminum-Hexagon-Barrel-Needlepoint-Ballpoint-Pen-NBP-587H-PINK-/303177813839?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=%2FM9O77M3zVcwyxsqDFolhrfew%2BA%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

R0015000.JPG
R0015001.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #124 of 163
When I priced the Ohto Horizon here on Amazon UK, they were asking the equivalent of $30 which I thought was too much. How much did you pay? Where did you get it?

About a month ago I found a new pink one on Ebay. I had to bid and I won it for around $4. UK seller. I am wondering if it is fake. It does not have that little button that I see on all the other photos. Did they ever make them like this? Maybe there is a reason I was the only bidder?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ohto-Horizon-Aluminum-Hexagon-Barrel-Needlepoint-Ballpoint-Pen-NBP-587H-PINK-/303177813839?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&nma=true&si=%2FM9O77M3zVcwyxsqDFolhrfew%2BA%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

Without the release button on the side, how do you retract the pen cartridge back inside?

Mine cost $12, but quite a bit of that was shipping. I am pretty sure that in Japan, these only cost maybe $5 or so. The rest is shipping.

Jul 9, 2019 at 8:49 PM Post #125 of 163
Without the release button on the side, how do you retract the pen cartridge back inside?

Mine cost $12, but quite a bit of that was shipping. I am pretty sure that in Japan, these only cost maybe $5 or so. The rest is shipping.

Like many pens, just push the top thingie again.

Jul 20, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #126 of 163
Pens are my other addiction, after headphones. I’m left-handed, so I prefer Uni Jetstream fillers because the ink doesn’t smear at all. I use a BigI Titanium pen (holds nearly any filler in existence) and I love the weight of it.

Aug 7, 2019 at 12:44 AM Post #128 of 163
Grabbed one of those OHTO Horizon ballpoints recently as well. For $12 seems very well made, cartridge writes smooth too, little bit of wobble in the tip but not too bad. Also grabbed an OHTO Fude 1.5mm rollerball - pretty cool pen and lets you vary the line weight almost like a super smooth fountain pen, but prone to skipping.

I noticed on Amazon US search there are two different versions, the 0.7mm ballpoint, and also a 0.5mm gel pen variation. The pictures of the gel pen variant don't seem to have the release button, perhaps the listing you bought was mislabeled?

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #129 of 163
I'm celebrating the re-acquisition of my favorite ballpoint pen ever, the TWSBI Precision. I've always been impressed at how well-made and well-designed this pen is. It's got great balance in the hand, despite its reassuringly hefty weight. All-metal construction with an emotionally gratifying ka-chunk when you click it. The knurling is understated, but grippy enough. There's just enough chamfer around the hexagonal barrel keep it very comfortable, but not so much that it rolls away. It also takes a Schmidt Easyflow 9000, which is my absolute favorite ballpoint refill. For me, it's just about the perfect pen. If only Schmidt made that refill in red ink...

20200207_150835.jpg

Feb 8, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #130 of 163
I'm celebrating the re-acquisition of my favorite ballpoint pen ever, the TWSBI Precision. I've always been impressed at how well-made and well-designed this pen is. It's got great balance in the hand, despite its reassuringly hefty weight. All-metal construction with an emotionally gratifying ka-chunk when you click it. The knurling is understated, but grippy enough. There's just enough chamfer around the hexagonal barrel keep it very comfortable, but not so much that it rolls away. It also takes a Schmidt Easyflow 9000, which is my absolute favorite ballpoint refill. For me, it's just about the perfect pen. If only Schmidt made that refill in red ink...

20200207_150835.jpg

Whoa, that’s a nice looking pen!

Mar 5, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #131 of 163
Some great looking pens on this thread.

I have a small collection of pens, the oldest is a mid 1930's Parker vacumatic that I had rebuilt and serviced last year. It cost a fortune to get it working again, but it used to be my grandma's pen so felt I had to do it. I also have a few other Parkers, one from the 1940's a handful (no pun intended :rolling_eyes: ) from the 1980's and 1990's as well as Cross etc. I use my transparent Lamy Safari a lot.

However the pens that I use everyday are Pilot Hi-Tecpoint V7's and that's what I'm posting about. Does anybody know of any similar fine line pens that are refillable using regular liquid ink, and aren't so plasticy ? I already use the version that takes refills and have played around with filling them from a syringe, but find that the pen tips don't usually last more than a couple of refills before I throw them away. I'd also like something that's not destined for a landfill.

I love the metal look of the those Ohto pens and would like a refillable fine line (0.7 mm) version of them. I know that Steadtler and Rotring make similar pens but haven't seen anything that matches what I want.

In summary, what I'm looking for is something that looks similar to a Rotring 800 pencil, with a fine line nib (no biros) that is refillable using liquid ink, (and preferable not through cartridges) and with a tip that lasts more than a couple of refills. Any recommendations ?

The modern, 'engineered' look is important as I work in high tech engineering, so don't want to pulling a pen out in a high pressure tech meeting that looks like it was designed in 1850 by Liberace's grandma.

Not too much to ask....is it ?

Apr 13, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #132 of 163
Hi All,

I am new to the whole head-fi thing and just starting out with some decent headphones but have been collecting a couple of pens for a few years now. Here is a shot of the collection as it stands at present -
20200413_124722.jpg

I started out over 20 years ago with the Meisterstuck roller ball and added a Starwalker a few years later -
20200413_124811.jpg

Then decided to get into fountain pens. My first foray was a Montegrappa which I loved but unfortunately lost it in a taxi one day. The next step was a S.T. Dupont LE "Bogie" -
20200413_124847.jpg

I have had this pen about 6 years and love writing with it. There was an old lady who ran the shop that I purchased the pen from who also ran writing classes, she gave me a quick lesson in the store and bunch of exercises to do which improved my hand writing dramatically. I now predominantly write rather than take notes digitally, finding the process of writing a bit cathartic.

Next was a Sailor 1911. Where the Dupont is a nice weighty pen that is perfectly balanced and has a super smooth nib, the 1911 is a much lighter pen, still well balanced but has a much "sharper" nib - it provides a bit more feedback when writing.

20200413_125028.jpg

20200413_125038.jpg

At the beginning of 2019 I decided to treat myself to another pen. I went back to the same store I had purchased all my other pens from (aside from the original Meisterstuck) with a pretty firm idea of what I wanted as well as a budget, but after about 10 minutes in there, I blew all that away and walked out with this -
20200413_124912.jpg

Another S.T. Dupont LE - this time one of the Bond / 007 memorabilia pens. Whilst I love the Chinese lacquer finish on the Bogie, the finish on this one is just magic! The Bogie has a fine nib in it which I really like but with the 007, I decided to get both a fine and medium nib. Originally I preferred the fine, finding that it dropped less ink, but after a bit of use, I now prefer the medium!

A couple of other pics -
20200413_124954.jpg

20200413_125117.jpg

Cheers all,

Ben

Attachments

• 20200413_124912.jpg
    20200413_124912.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #135 of 163
Uniball vision elite is an all time favorite

My kid loves those!

He was going through them like water at high school, until I asked him why he was using so many. I just assumed he was losing them. It turns out that he was slowly converting all of his friends into Uniball fans by giving them away lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back