Lets Talk Metal
Sep 8, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #16,426 of 29,685
And, Earth! Man. If you know nothing about Earth-they basically gave Sunno))) their blueprint. The last few albums, they went essentially non metal into a very interesting atmospheric, cinematic sound...dronish....but with all these country twangy sounds. Very reminiscent of Sergio Leone Spaghetti Westerns (Think the theme from The Good The Bad and The Ugly). Their new album is a pretty dramatic reworking of that sound with guest vocalists back to their early heavier spacy doom. I absolutely love it. Uh, yeah....this is not death metal :atsmile:  

Thanks for that markm1!

Because sunn0))) is one of my favorite bands ever, I have no choice but to love earth....although I wasn't the biggest fan of their last couple they were still pretty cool records. I'm really excited to hear this new one is a bit of return to form

Speaking as a massive sludge/drone/doom fan....how come I never really heard of these guys from the late 90's? I just picked up the self titled and it's just fantastic, gritty stuff

[VIDEO]http://youtu.be/1QBi4T4vPGQ[/VIDEO]

Sep 8, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #16,427 of 29,685
I had a Nuforce Icon, just remember that it only does 16/44.1 and that now Nuforce makes stuff that all do higher bit-rate. I used for for awhile and they do sound good with metal, still if I was getting into computer audio in 2014 I would at least try to mess with 24/96. That said I really liked the sound of the Icon playing CDs from a CD player with RCAs to headphones. Funny at one time there was a huge Nuforce trend here.

I'm assuming it is the regular Icon with the speaker cat 5 plugs for speakers, if it is the HDP Icon I would jump on it. I like the HPD because it does higher bit-rates. The other reason is the HDP has a full size headphone out. The cheapest Icon is the non desktop amp, non HDP.

I looked at your link and it shows an Icon 2 which says it's the 24/96 bit-rate and desktop amp. Is that what it is?

This is what the original Icon looks like.

Thanks 'Moose!

This is the one I've got-https://www.nuforce.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=666:icon-dac&Itemid=2659

Curious-The Icon 2 appears to have the speaker plugs. I think I've got the Icon, not the Icon 2. I just downloaded the manual....

Mine has
Input:
1 x USB input
1 x RCA analog input
1 x 3.5mm analog input
Output:
1 x 6.3mm headphone output*
1 x RCA analog output**
1 x Coaxial digital output

USB input compatible with typical Windows or Mac computer-based setups, as well as
Android 4.1.1* (with optional OTG cable).

In addition, employed simply as a
headphone amp or preamp the Icon DAC provides a secondary analog input for
stereo signals from most home-audio and mobile sources.

As a control center/preamplifier for use with external amplifier and speaker
arrangements, audiophile-grade circuit design and parts ensure that the Icon DAC
always delivers the ultimate in clarity to its stereo RCA outputs. A coaxial S/PDIF
output is included for added system flexibility.

The innovative design goes several steps further to include a linear power supply
that provides only pure DC power to all circuits, a TOCOS high-resolution linear
volume control for accurate rendering of critical low-level information, and quality
construction throughout.

And the DAC specs:

Accepting PCM sample rates up to 96kHz, it’s 32-bit DAC supports 24-bit asynchronous operation
while also providing Direct-Stream Digital (DSD) decoding capability.

Maximum Sampling Rate: 96 kHz
Bit Resolution: 32 bits
Frequency Response: 10 – 100 kHz
THD+N: 0.0013%
SNR: > 115 dB
RCA Output Impedance: 10 ohm
Headphone Output Impedance: 2.4 ohm
RCA Input Impedance: 22K ohm
Headphone Power Output:
1.2W @ 16 ohm
1.825W @ 32 ohm
718 mW @ 100 ohm
249 mW @ 300 ohm
126 mW @ 600 ohm

So far, it seems like a clever little box of tricks. If I can get it for $100/retails around $300-I think I'm going to buy it.

Just a couple of issues for me. One is-as far as I can tell I am limited to the Icon's HP amp when using USB copmuter audio. But, when using stereo RCA outs, it works as a preamp also. So, I can choose betwen the Icon amp or use it with my own headphone amps.

Also, I can't jump back and forth between using it w/ USB and with RCA. So, basically, I have to remove the USB if and connect my RCA cables in if I want to switch from computer to my CDP. Minor issue. But, it would be cool if I could just have everything hooked up and switch with a remote. But, you can't have everytyhing in a $300 product and it is pretty darn versaitle.

Other than that, I'm pleased with it so far.

Sep 8, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #16,428 of 29,685
Thanks 'Moose!

This is the one I've got-https://www.nuforce.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=666:icon-dac&Itemid=2659

Curious-The Icon 2 appears to have the speaker plugs. I think I've got the Icon, not the Icon 2. I just downloaded the manual....

Mine has
Input:
1 x USB input
1 x RCA analog input
1 x 3.5mm analog input
Output:
1 x 6.3mm headphone output*
1 x RCA analog output**
1 x Coaxial digital output

USB input compatible with typical Windows or Mac computer-based setups, as well as
Android 4.1.1* (with optional OTG cable).

In addition, employed simply as a
headphone amp or preamp the Icon DAC provides a secondary analog input for
stereo signals from most home-audio and mobile sources.

As a control center/preamplifier for use with external amplifier and speaker
arrangements, audiophile-grade circuit design and parts ensure that the Icon DAC
always delivers the ultimate in clarity to its stereo RCA outputs. A coaxial S/PDIF
output is included for added system flexibility.

The innovative design goes several steps further to include a linear power supply
that provides only pure DC power to all circuits, a TOCOS high-resolution linear
volume control for accurate rendering of critical low-level information, and quality
construction throughout.

And the DAC specs:

Accepting PCM sample rates up to 96kHz, it’s 32-bit DAC supports 24-bit asynchronous operation
while also providing Direct-Stream Digital (DSD) decoding capability.

Maximum Sampling Rate: 96 kHz
Bit Resolution: 32 bits
Frequency Response: 10 – 100 kHz
THD+N: 0.0013%
SNR: > 115 dB
RCA Output Impedance: 10 ohm
Headphone Output Impedance: 2.4 ohm
RCA Input Impedance: 22K ohm
Headphone Power Output:
1.2W @ 16 ohm
1.825W @ 32 ohm
718 mW @ 100 ohm
249 mW @ 300 ohm
126 mW @ 600 ohm

So far, it seems like a clever little box of tricks. If I can get it for $100/retails around $300-I think I'm going to buy it.

Just a couple of issues for me. One is-as far as I can tell I am limited to the Icon's HP amp when using USB copmuter audio. But, when using stereo RCA outs, it works as a preamp also. So, I can choose betwen the Icon amp or use it with my own headphone amps.

Also, I can't jump back and forth between using it w/ USB and with RCA. So, basically, I have to remove the USB if and connect my RCA cables in if I want to switch from computer to my CDP. Minor issue. But, it would be cool if I could just have everything hooked up and switch with a remote. But, you can't have everytyhing in a $300 product and it is pretty darn versaitle.

Other than that, I'm pleased with it so far.

Interesting, ya, there are soo many Nuforce products. Sounds cool for $100, plus it has HD digital with a computer. My Nuforce always sounded better with analogue RCAs from my CD player. Just make sure you don't put a lot of side force on the USB input they can get messed up and act up at times if they get tweeked too hard.

Some of the Icons had cat 5 cables as speaker binding posts, also some had regular binding posts. Not that loud but nice for desktop audio, not any kind of jaw dropping power with small speakers, loud with headphones though.

So your saying it's a analogue pre when you run RCA in then RCA out, but it is not putting the USB computer DAC to the same preamp outs? That does not seem right? It should allow you to listen to headphones and hook it up to a power amp and listen to your computer?

The other thing you have is an analogue mini plug. If you get something a FiiO LOD it will bypass the iPod amp and you can go straight into the Nuforce. If you have a 30 pin connector, but it will not work with the Lightning connecter but may work with the Camera Connection Kit.

With the 30 pin and LOD you can play FLAC with http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html.

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L3-Line-Cable-iPhone/dp/B003UCESP8/ref=pd_tcs_compl_e_2/180-4176191-5221259?ie=UTF8&refRID=1SZX8DZ3HEWATMT2B0FT

I don't know if you ever heard an iPhone or IPad amp bypassed but they sound great going to a quality amp with a LOD. They are called 30 pin because that is the size, but they don't actually have thirty pins to connect.

Just download videoLan and put it in apps on an iPhone , IPod that will run 7.0 and above and also an IPad that is updated to 7.0. You can play HD flac but the DAC line out will not be fully HD, just 16/48. Still 24/96 files played in an IPod sound better than 16/44.1 ALAC or wave or AAC.

With your unit it's just easy to plug in a LOD from a mobile device and use the Nuforce as a preamp. You don't have to turn on a computer.

You also have coaxial digital out so you can run your computer into a cinema amp.
Still it does 32/96 and DSD files, looks like you could hook it up to an Apple device and stream HD files using the Apple device as the Wi/Fi gatherer and interface and use the Nuforce as your HD DAC and preamp. In this situation your bypassing the apple DAC and able to decode high bit-rates and kHz with your DAC and the Apple device just lets you interface with iTunes and choose albums and songs, and retrieves the Wi/Fi from your home Wi/Fi.:cool:

I am pretty sure if you mess with it the USB is going to also go out to the RCA pre-out so you can go to a power amp straight away. Weird though it talks about Android but not Apple on their page? After looking at the specs it almost seems like they are going out of their way to say it only works with android mobile devices?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/507559/list-of-dacs-that-work-with-ipad/840. Still if you know someone who has a CCK and maybe a power USB setup, you could try it, it is confusing?

The final great thing is that Nuforce has a full size headphone jack just like the Nuforce HPD. Still if you had the Nuforce HPD it probably would play with the Toslink optical out of your Sonos system?:mad:

Everyone here was going optical with the HDP a couple years ago when they were big on Head-Fi.

24/192

http://www.head-fi.org/t/469767/review-in-progress-nuforce-hdp-24-96-usb-optical-24-192-coax-dac-preamp-and-headphone-amp

You could also look into streaming with your computer or an android device. If you main computer is not where your listening.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/645884/simple-low-cost-hifi-network-music-streaming-device

If worse comes to worse....

EDIT:
Well, Nuforce says only the iDo device they sell works with Apple.

https://www.nuforce.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=57:isitpossibletoconnectmyipodoriphoneto&Itemid=210

Sep 8, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #16,429 of 29,685
"HD" audio won't sound different unless the master is different.
wink_face.gif

You might as well convert 24-bit files to 16-bit. DSD, however, is a bit more complicated and worth leaving as is.

...In case you didn't hate Siren Charms enough, In Flames have got you covered with an acoustic performance! XD

Sep 8, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #16,430 of 29,685
"HD" audio won't sound different unless the master is different. :wink_face:

You might as well convert 24-bit files to 16-bit. DSD, however, is a bit more complicated and worth leaving as is.

...In case you didn't hate Siren Charms enough, In Flames have got you covered with an acoustic performance! XD

YAY, I just love acoustic performances.

two minutes later,

I feel lied too. :/

Sep 8, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #16,431 of 29,685
Thanks for that markm1!

Because sunn0))) is one of my favorite bands ever, I have no choice but to love earth....although I wasn't the biggest fan of their last couple they were still pretty cool records. I'm really excited to hear this new one is a bit of return to form

Speaking as a massive sludge/drone/doom fan....how come I never really heard of these guys from the late 90's? I just picked up the self titled and it's just fantastic, gritty stuff

Cool stuff....get a little bit of a Dragged into Sunlight vibe. You've got good taste in music...hee-hee.

Sep 8, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #16,432 of 29,685
Interesting, ya, there are soo many Nuforce products. Sounds cool for $100, plus it has HD digital with a computer. My Nuforce always sounded better with analogue RCAs from my CD player. Just make sure you don't put a lot of side force on the USB input they can get messed up and act up at times if they get tweeked too hard.

The other thing you have is an analogue mini plug. If you get something a FiiO LOD it will bypass the iPod amp and you can go straight into the Nuforce. If you have a 30 pin connector, but it will not work with the Lightning connecter but may work with the Camera Connection Kit.

With the 30 pin and LOD you can play FLAC with http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html.

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L3-Line-Cable-iPhone/dp/B003UCESP8/ref=pd_tcs_compl_e_2/180-4176191-5221259?ie=UTF8&refRID=1SZX8DZ3HEWATMT2B0FT

I don't know if you ever heard an iPhone or IPad amp bypassed but they sound great going to a quality amp with a LOD. They are called 30 pin because that is the size, but they don't actually have thirty pins to connect.

Just download videoLan and put it in apps on an iPhone , IPod that will run 7.0 and above and also an IPad that is updated to 7.0. You can play HD flac but the DAC line out will not be fully HD, just 16/48. Still 24/96 files played in an IPod sound better than 16/44.1 ALAC or wave or AAC.

With your unit it's just easy to plug in a LOD from a mobile device and use the Nuforce as a preamp. You don't have to turn on a computer.

You also have coaxial digital out so you can run your computer into a cinema amp.
Still it does 32/96 and DSD files, looks like you could hook it up to an Apple device and stream HD files using the Apple device as the Wi/Fi gatherer and interface and use the Nuforce as your HD DAC and preamp. In this situation your bypassing the apple DAC and able to decode high bit-rates and kHz with your DAC and the Apple device just lets you interface with iTunes and choose albums and songs, and retrieves the Wi/Fi from your home Wi/Fi.
cool.gif

I am pretty sure if you mess with it the USB is going to also go out to the RCA pre-out so you can go to a power amp straight away. Weird though it talks about Android but not Apple on their page? After looking at the specs it almost seems like they are going out of their way to say it only works with android mobile devices?

Holy Crap! You're a walking dictionary on Nuforce. I'm going to have to go through your links and digest some of this stuff. Yeah-I'm going to have play with the USB to power my other HP amps. Your right-it doesn't make sense.

Sep 9, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #16,433 of 29,685
I've been listening to this band lately.

Sep 9, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #16,434 of 29,685

https://www.nuforce.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=57:isitpossibletoconnectmyipodoriphoneto&Itemid=210

Thanks again for all that great information. I've been told by Nuforce that they are fazing the Icon series out moving away from desktop devices to more dedicated home theater, etc. But, it's still on their website.

I'm sure I have what they Icon DAC, not the Icon 2 or the HDP-so the latest version.

You're right, they are definitely targeting Android users. I figure they were going after that market since there are so many apple compatable devices.

The LOD is a no brainer. I'm going to pick one up for sure.

I had a few minutes last night. I've got my computer in the same room as my dedicated stereo/HP set up-all in a home office kind of deal. So, now I've USB to computer and analog RCA to my dedicated integrated amp and also to my CDP. I agree-the analog connection sounds best. I'm really pleased with the improved sound both HP and speakers make to my Onkyo entry level CDP. And, now I can stream from my computer using the ICON using the Icon for my HPs or thru my speakers which is cool.

I think it's pretty sweet. I just imagine how good things would sound with a "serious" DAC.

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #16,435 of 29,685

I prefer early Job for a Cowboy, As Blood Runs Black - Allegiance, Cryptopsy - Cryptopsy, Infant Annhilator and Rings Of Saturn more than this.

Sep 9, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #16,436 of 29,685
I definitely miss As Blood Runs Black. Always looking for another album like that which makes me want to do flips.

Her Name In Blood was good too. Lots of energy.Then they turned into a hard rock band...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80QKG4L5R84&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sep 9, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #16,437 of 29,685
I definitely miss As Blood Runs Black. Always looking for another album like that which makes me want to do flips.

Her Name In Blood was good too. Lots of energy.Then they turned into a hard rock band...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80QKG4L5R84&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Nah!!!!... I used to listen to death/metalcore 3 years ago. Now it seems all the same.

I prefer these now.

Sep 9, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #16,438 of 29,685

Is this off the new album? I didnt like their new music as much as i liked the second album.

I prefer early Job for a Cowboy, As Blood Runs Black - Allegiance, Cryptopsy - Cryptopsy, Infant Annhilator and Rings Of Saturn more than this.

Hey no reason to hate on Rings of Saturn, unless you actually like them then just act like this never happen.

Sep 10, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #16,439 of 29,685
Is this off the new album? I didnt like their new music as much as i liked the second album.
Hey no reason to hate on Rings of Saturn, unless you actually like them then just act like this never happen.

But, they are so bloody fast. I have always liked bands who can play at a very quick tempo. Maybe, thats why, I like a lot of Brutal and Tech Death metal.

Rings of Saturn are not my number one favorite band, but are lodged in my brain. for all their guitar wankery and the drummer is fast. I don't think I can compare that with Whitechapel or Conducting from Grave or Her Name In Blood.

nowerdays metal/deathcore has too much breakdowns. I mean there are songs where there is absolutely no guitar play, just breakdowns.. Come on!!!!

Sep 10, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #16,440 of 29,685
I never thought I would see the cover of a Panopticon album on the homepage of Head-Fi:

The end is nigh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back