Lets Talk Metal
May 13, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #9,646 of 29,685
Thanks for reminding me, I wanted to read that interview last week :)

The reason I´m a little bit suspicious about this are discussions like this:
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/earache-records-vinyl-reissues-simply-come-from-the-cd.287878/

I think it just depends on each album and whether there are Master tapes available. I try to get as much information about a release before buying it though :)

But Digby didn't lie there at ALL. He said they were from the Redbook masters.

All the FDR releases to my knowledge are straight from the original studio recordings (analog or digital, whatever the band or studio used).

You really can't go wrong with the FDR releases.

We also posted an interview with Noel Summerville (check out the other Metal-Fi article about it) who is doing the masters.

May 13, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #9,647 of 29,685
Ok thanks :) I think I´m gonna buy the Entombed one! 

I saw that interview, it was quite interesting. When I buy an album I just want to be sure it´s the best sound quality possible. That´s why I want to gather as much information as possible to not waste my money. Not like the Megadeth remasters for example, which sound way worse than the originals. But I´m looking forward to future FDR releases as you convinced me of their quality :)

May 14, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #9,648 of 29,685
Fangirling hard right now.

May 14, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #9,650 of 29,685
The new Fallujah EP is soooooo good! I always remembered them as some kind of tech deathcore, but this is just pure awesomeness!
(That Leprous song reminds me of Muse. Please don't punch me)

May 14, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #9,651 of 29,685
Leprous did nothing for me. Might try again later...

That new Fallujah however...That's right on the edge of Tech Death and I've never heard any I liked. That being said, it's on teetering right on that edge in a good way. Really enjoyed it.

Quote:
The new Fallujah EP is soooooo good! I always remembered them as some kind of tech deathcore, but this is just pure awesomeness!

May 14, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #9,652 of 29,685
This new Deeds of Flesh song is also pretty sweet :)
Man, I love me some technical stuff!

May 14, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #9,654 of 29,685
Quote:

and also...A NEW FREAKING LEPROUS VIDEO WITH ANOTHER NEW SONG CAME OUT GUYS!!! AND ITS AWESOMESAUCE!!!!

I didn't love it but it was good. Can't wait for the whole album! Nothing wrong with Muse either, excluding the last album or two.

May 14, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #9,655 of 29,685
Quote:

I looooooove Fallujah... Thank you for this update...

May 15, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #9,656 of 29,685
Referring to the question that was asked awhile back, DSD is the name that Sony uses for their method of PDM (pulse density modulation) as opposed to the typical PCM (pulse code modulation). CD is 16-bit/44.1kHz. SACD is 1-bit/2.8224Mhz. DSD is far more capable than 16/44 CD audio with its 22.05Khz hard cutoff, but against high-res PCM, the argument is trickier. SOME people think that DSD sounds much closer to analog than even high-res PCM, but as with everything, the mastering is far more important than everything else.

May 15, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #9,657 of 29,685
May 15, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #9,658 of 29,685
In 99% of cases, you should buy first press vinyl if at all possible. Earache seems to be doing it right with the FDR series, but labels like BOB or MOV usually blow it. If there's a vinyl version available, it's usually worth getting. Sometimes even different regions will get different masters. For example, from what I understand Infestissumam as pressed by Universal is the same brickwalled crap as the CD, but the Rise Above Records press is much more dynamic. It definitely pays to do your research.

May 15, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #9,659 of 29,685
Quote:
Referring to the question that was asked awhile back, DSD is the name that Sony uses for their method of PDM (pulse density modulation) as opposed to the typical PCM (pulse code modulation). CD is 16-bit/44.1kHz. SACD is 1-bit/2.8224Mhz. DSD is far more capable than 16/44 CD audio with its 22.05Khz hard cutoff, but against high-res PCM, the argument is trickier. SOME people think that DSD sounds much closer to analog than even high-res PCM, but as with everything, the mastering is far more important than everything else.

Very informative once again. Thanks Dave.

May 15, 2013 at 7:17 AM Post #9,660 of 29,685

Users who are viewing this thread

Back