LETSHUOER S12 - Next big planar? (Impressions & Discussion)
Feb 21, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #1,471 of 1,909
If you guys listened to planar sets competing with S12, anything from PR1 to Zeitan Wu, I'd like to know if you liked any of those better than S12. I have a feeling that since the driver is the same, there are just minor tuning differences, but resolution and staging are the same.

I haven't heard PR1, but S12 is definitely more V shaped and more technical than the Zetian Wu, which is very dampened. Zetian Wu is more U shaped, more balanced with better timbral accuracy, but has poorer resolution and clarity.

Same driver is just one part of the equation. The shell shape/size/material, damping/filters, vent(s) location, nozzle length/diameter and driver placement all influence the sound and resonances.

Feb 22, 2023 at 5:22 AM Post #1,472 of 1,909
Oh really? I was kind of expecting Zetian Wu to get an upper hand in comparison just from the reviews, but not the Hook-X. So was it the tuning, the resolution/stage, else?

Feb 22, 2023 at 5:24 AM Post #1,473 of 1,909
I haven't heard PR1, but S12 is definitely more V shaped and more technical than the Zetian Wu, which is very dampened. Zetian Wu is more U shaped, more balanced with better timbral accuracy, but has poorer resolution and clarity.

Same driver is just one part of the equation. The shell shape/size/material, damping/filters, vent(s) location, nozzle length/diameter and driver placement all influence the sound and resonances.
Do you think they addressed the issues with the Heyday edition?

Feb 22, 2023 at 5:25 AM Post #1,474 of 1,909
Do you think they addressed the issues with the Heyday edition?

Hmm I haven't tried the Heyday edition unfortunately. Hope someone else on the forum can help answer this query!

Feb 22, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #1,475 of 1,909
Love, love, love the S12.

Now searching for a full-size equivalent. Any suggestions?

Tried the Sundara and the Monolith M1070, but they don't come close...

To my ear my S12 are similar sounding to my Dan Clark Aeon Noire.

Both V shaped without being overdone.

I wish that wasn’t the case because in NZ money the DCA Noire cost about 6 times as much !

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #1,476 of 1,909
Anyone using JVC Spiral Dot tips with the S12 ?

I know many say the S12 lacks a little bass but I find the S12 bass can be a bit bloated and boomy with typical medium bore silicon tips or narrower Final Type E tips.

With the wide bore of the Spiral Dots the bass is cut back just a little and what it loses in quantity it more than makes up in quality. The whole “planar bass” really becomes apparent with notably more subtle nuances heard.

Feb 22, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #1,477 of 1,909
Anyone using JVC Spiral Dot tips with the S12 ?

I know many say the S12 lacks a little bass but I find the S12 bass can be a bit bloated and boomy with typical medium bore silicon tips or narrower Final Type E tips.

With the wide bore of the Spiral Dots the bass is cut back just a little and what it loses in quantity it more than makes up in quality. The whole “planar bass” really becomes apparent with notably more subtle nuances heard.
Because the dome of the Spiral Dots is quite firm, unlike many tips, it holds its shape in the ear. The sound resonates in the dome set against the ear. I would say the Spiral Dots, whether wide bore, intensify and firms bass. I have used most tips and the Spiral Dots are one of the few that hold their shape in the ear. A great bass friendly tip. They are great on the S12.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #1,478 of 1,909
Because the dome of the Spiral Dots is quite firm, unlike many tips, it holds its shape in the ear. The sound resonates in the dome set against the ear. I would say the Spiral Dots, whether wide bore, intensify and firms bass. I have used most tips and the Spiral Dots are one of the few that hold their shape in the ear. A great bass friendly tip. They are great on the S12.

Yes they are certainly a firmer material than many, the resonance idea makes sense.

But to my ears they very definitely cut the S12 bass a little, which is exactly what I wanted. Foams went way to far making them very thin sounding.

I use them on a Shanling ME700 hybrid and MG600 single DD also and on those they calm the bass quantity just a little also, my preference.

I only have 4 IEM, the other is the Dethonray Tender 1 planars and after much tip trial and error I have settled on the Spiral Dots for everything. That firm dome you mentioned really helps with the fit and seal on the Dethonray which helps bump the bass on those just a little, they can be a bit lean.

Feb 22, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #1,479 of 1,909
Yes they are certainly a firmer material than many, the resonance idea makes sense.

But to my ears they very definitely cut the S12 bass a little, which is exactly what I wanted. Foams went way to far making them very thin sounding.

I use them on a Shanling ME700 hybrid and MG600 single DD also and on those they calm the bass quantity just a little also, my preference.

I only have 4 IEM, the other is the Dethonray Tender 1 planars and after much tip trial and error I have settled on the Spiral Dots for everything. That firm dome you mentioned really helps with the fit and seal on the Dethonray which helps bump the bass on those just a little, they can be a bit lean.
Of course we all have different fit and angles on the concha and hear according to our physiology and personal likes. I find that using Spiral Dots gives notes, 🎶 including bass firmer edges. I find many tips that squash into the ear, detract from the bass. Using the IMR Bass Cannon 2023 or the IMR Dark Matter with L Spiral Dots, the bass is so full and present, in the right way, and Spiral Dots never let me down for quality or quantity of bass. I use the OG Spiral Dots from Penon Audio, so my pocket is not hurt too much.

Feb 22, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #1,481 of 1,909
Last edited:
Mar 1, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #1,483 of 1,909
Compared to hexa, which one is superior in terms of resolution?

S12 definitely is better in resolution. Though S12 has a more metallic timbre and is a bit more fatiguing in the treble.

Mar 1, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #1,485 of 1,909
Which regions in particular should I eq down a bit with these, the sound is a little 'brittle' is this the metallic sound others say they have?

The S12 is a V shaped set with big bass and boosted treble.

If you are treble sensitive, the treble/upper midrange might bite a bit. It can be tamed somewhat with playing at softer volumes (fletcher munson curve), using treble attenuating tips (eg foams, Final E black tips), or even with warmer sources. You can EQ the upper mids/treble down too.

The planar timbre can't really be gotten rid of via EQ solely, it is an inherent characteristic of most planar IEMS, where the very fast transients and rapid decay gives notes a thinner weight and a less natural timbre. But the S12 has one of the best technicalities/resolution at its price point, compared to say single DD types with better timbral accuracy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back