LG V30
Nov 3, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #1,051 of 6,140
I've been doing a lot of research and i think i've come to the conclusion that any hi-res audio played over the android (phone) platform through the headphone jack is going to be neutered to Android's 16bit 48khz limit. It doesn't matter if it's LG's built in music app or Hiby--and I dont care about outputting though USB as i already have the awesome exasound DAC. If i play the same material over my Calyx M (criminally underrated DAP as it has a full audiophile 9018 DAC inside), there's no comparison--DSD and hi-res FLAC sound much better than through my LG V10. I think that's why the Android DAPs are so popular since they offer the convenience of the OS but somehow bypass the stupid bitrate limit. Never will get bitperfect audio through an Android phone no matter what the DAC through the headphone jack.

Is that a pretty accurate assessment?

Actually, that's why I stick with onkyo cmx1 after swap testing with my friend v30. Cmx1 is smartphone, but do manage to bypass Android neutering. Don't get me wrong. V30 is awesome, but my preference still stick to cmx1.

I did hear awesome thing about calyx m, at same legendary level as qp1r, but I didn't get the chance to test it properly.

Nov 3, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #1,052 of 6,140
That's cause it came and went so quickly before some much-needed upgrades (like OTG support)...quite a shame as many people feel the sound is unsurpassed.

I was not aware of that Onkyo...so someone finally did it. I find it amusing that as high-tech as the audio capabilities are...the phone capabilities are at least a couple years behind--Gorilla Glass 3, Snapdragon 650, 3 GB ram. The killer is it wont work on most US carrier's networks fast LTE data. Nice someone is trying though...

Nov 3, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #1,053 of 6,140
Nov 3, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #1,054 of 6,140
That's cause it came and went so quickly before some much-needed upgrades (like OTG support)...quite a shame as many people feel the sound is unsurpassed.

I was not aware of that Onkyo...so someone finally did it. I find it amusing that as high-tech as the audio capabilities are...the phone capabilities are at least a couple years behind--Gorilla Glass 3, Snapdragon 650, 3 GB ram. The killer is it wont work on most US carrier's networks fast LTE data. Nice someone is trying though...

Agree. As much as like cmx1 sq, I am not onkyo fanboy. In fact, in cmx1 thread, I mentioned that onkyo is hard to sell due to its decision to stick with outdated hardware. So it will only appeal to those for whom who use just basic daily phone function and not those hardcore gamers lol. It's kinda missed opportunity

Nov 3, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #1,055 of 6,140
I've been doing a lot of research and i think i've come to the conclusion that any hi-res audio played over the android (phone) platform through the headphone jack is going to be neutered to Android's 16bit 48khz limit. It doesn't matter if it's LG's built in music app or Hiby--and I dont care about outputting though USB as i already have the awesome exasound DAC. If i play the same material over my Calyx M (criminally underrated DAP as it has a full audiophile 9018 DAC inside), there's no comparison--DSD and hi-res FLAC sound much better than through my LG V10. I think that's why the Android DAPs are so popular since they offer the convenience of the OS but somehow bypass the stupid bitrate limit. Never will get bitperfect audio through an Android phone no matter what the DAC through the headphone jack.

Is that a pretty accurate assessment?

No, that's not accurate.

LG aren't neutering anything, it's just that to use the dedicated DAC hardware, an app has to know how to plug in to the appropriate api. There are many Android DAPs out there that have faced the same challenge. It's not like LG, FiiO, iBasso, etc., would deliberately want to neuter their players. It's just that their control over third party apps is obviously limited. Via LG's native music app, the V30 plays up to 32-bit 384 kHz PCM and up to DSD512.

Nov 3, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #1,056 of 6,140
No, that's not accurate.

LG aren't neutering anything, it's just that to use the dedicated DAC hardware, an app has to know how to plug in to the appropriate api. There are many Android DAPs out there that have faced the same challenge. It's not like LG, FiiO, iBasso, etc., would deliberately want to neuter their players. It's just that their control over third party apps is obviously limited. Via LG's native music app, the V30 plays up to 32-bit 384 kHz PCM and up to DSD512.

So are you saying the native LG music app is somehow bypassing the Android 16/48 restriction...but that's the only one that is? So if I play a DSD DFF file using that app, through the headphone jack I am hearing unaltered bitperfect sound, just like the original file spec? No 16/48 downgrade? But everything else...Hiby, JetAudio, Onkyo HD player (i.e. the ones with more file format support) IS downgrading?

Nov 4, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #1,057 of 6,140
So are you saying the native LG music app is somehow bypassing the Android 16/48 restriction...

Correct.

The native LG music app is (so far) the only app I'm aware of that can play PCM, DSD and MQA unadulterated through the ES9218P DAC. Most other apps are still using an older Android api for querying the DAC, which will result in all audio being converted to 48khz PCM even with output via the ESS DAC. Of course, there is a school of thought that higher-than-CD sample rates and bit depths are all snake oil anyway :wink: I've never seen a coherent counter-argument to Monty's blog on this subject:

https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

So, although it might be nice for the specs, I think it's debatable how much you'd really be losing anyway with those 3rd party apps.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #1,058 of 6,140
Correct.

The native LG music app is (so far) the only app I'm aware of that can play PCM, DSD and MQA unadulterated through the ES9218P DAC. Most other apps are still using an older Android api for querying the DAC, which will result in all audio being converted to 48khz PCM even with output via the ESS DAC. Of course, there is a school of thought that higher-than-CD sample rates and bit depths are all snake oil anyway :wink: I've never seen a coherent counter-argument to Monty's blog on this subject:

https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

So, although it might be nice for the specs, I think it's debatable how much you'd really be losing anyway with those 3rd party apps.

An argument as old as time...but if you have resolving enough equipment (headphones in this case), I contend to the end you can hear the difference. The bass fullness especially is discernible. Even non-audiophiles i demonstrate my system to have to admit its there...

So it looks like I have two choices for my meticulously created ISO files from my collection of nearly every great SACD released to play on my Exasound-- go through the PIA procedure to extract all the DSD files to put on the V30 (would make for less file size though)...or get a standalone DAP that can handle that format naively and keep phone and audio completely separate. Hmmm....

Nov 4, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #1,060 of 6,140
That's not necessarily true. A Cowon Plenue P1 is $399 right now and it makes the V30 sound like a tin can and the V30 is around what? $800?
i heard the z7 and buddy that headphone sounds like a tin can. very unusual and unsettling sound signature.

Nov 4, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #1,061 of 6,140
An argument as old as time...

See - I was right though, it was debatable, because look - we went there :wink: I don't want to burst any bubbles or get off topic as this one has been beaten to death in the sound science forums. But on the topic of a less-severely beaten argument - the merit of pulse density modulation... The few DSD albums I own sound amazing (most obviously sound different as they're re-masters or vinyl drops), however there seems to be some argument that PDM is inherently inferior to PCM. Have you read Rob Watts' opinion on DSD? (Search for him on the Chord threads.) Rob knows infinitely more about this subject than I do, but if you've read Rob's criticisms of DSD and disagree with him, I'd love to hear your side of the argument. (But maybe we could do that via pm, so as not to detail this thread?)

If I were you, I'd do those SACD to DSD conversions. They'll come in handy at some point in the future anyway.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #1,064 of 6,140
I have the phone for two weeks now and I tried very hard to like it but couldn’t. Listening through er4-xr everything is swamped in a massive soundstage (in par with schiit jot with dac) but the depth is very hollow and the vocal is distant and veiled.

Nov 4, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #1,065 of 6,140
I have the phone for two weeks now and I tried very hard to like it but couldn’t. Listening through er4-xr everything is swamped in a massive soundstage (in par with schiit jot with dac) but the depth is very hollow and the vocal is distant and veiled.
Yeah I'm returning mine too I'm disappointed. The crispy spacious sound I heard fresh out the box is now gone one my second v30. I have a v20 and v10 I'm going for the note 8 and Black Friday is around the corner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back