Life long Rocker ...now getting into Jazz
Jun 13, 2019 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

John2e

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I have been a fan of Rock since I was a child. My tastes tend to run towards the heavier stuff like Disturbed and Tool. A few years ago, I purchased an SACD collection and converted it to DSD. In that collection was Cannonball Aderlly and Miles Davis. Last week I was looking for something a little different and decided to give some Jazz a try. I put on "Autumn leaves" off of Cannonball Aderlly's "Something Else" Since then, I have downloaded a few more Cannonball Aderlly's Albums and I have not listened to anything else. I am really new to this so forgive my ignorance. But, I need more and I do not like the fast upbeat style. The mellow stuff seems more up my alley.

Any recommendations of really well recorded and mastered Jazz that is on the mellow side ?

Thanks in advance

Jun 13, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 17
I can't point you to specific recordings. But can suggest some places to look for more info.

Wikipedia lists Adderley's genres as: hard bop, soul jazz, modal jazz, and jazz rock. So you might look at recordings by other noteworthy artists in those particular genres. Soul jazz and jazz rock should be more or less self-explanatory. Hard-bop is a "funkier" down-tempo style of bebop music. Modal jazz (which goes a little over my head) is explained in more detail here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modal_jazz.

If you like the more down-tempo styles, I'd also suggest cool jazz, jazz blues, West Coast jazz, and possibly also bossa nova if you're into Latin music. Some of these other styles might be a little too mellow for your tastes though. Hard bop and cool jazz artists might be a good place to start. And then you could work your way out from there. You might also enjoy some neo-bop.

Examples of all the above can be found in the existing jazz threads here btw.

More jazz forms to explore: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_jazz_genres.

Jun 14, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 17
Head down to the blue note.

Jun 14, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 17
Hi,

I have been a fan of Rock since I was a child. My tastes tend to run towards the heavier stuff like Disturbed and Tool. A few years ago, I purchased an SACD collection and converted it to DSD. In that collection was Cannonball Aderlly and Miles Davis. Last week I was looking for something a little different and decided to give some Jazz a try. I put on "Autumn leaves" off of Cannonball Aderlly's "Something Else" Since then, I have downloaded a few more Cannonball Aderlly's Albums and I have not listened to anything else. I am really new to this so forgive my ignorance. But, I need more and I do not like the fast upbeat style. The mellow stuff seems more up my alley.

Any recommendations of really well recorded and mastered Jazz that is on the mellow side ?

Thanks in advance

IMO, the Sgt. Pepper of jazz is the classic Kind of Blue by Miles Davis (featuring Coltrane)...one of my all time top 5 albums (any genre).

Jun 15, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #9 of 17
If you have some favorite standards like Autumn Leaves already, just checking out variations of those is a good way to explore, if a bit dangerous- probably enough recorded versions of that tune alone to last 3 lifetimes with no repeats :grimacing:

Great suggestion if OP's location is true- NYC is jazz mecca & if you enjoy live performance it's aguably the best way to hear jazz and an adventurous way to discover what you like. Plenty of newer artists & legends still hanging around to see.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #10 of 17
Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #14 of 17

Great suggestion if OP's location is true- NYC is jazz mecca & if you enjoy live performance it's aguably the best way to hear jazz and an adventurous way to discover what you like. Plenty of newer artists & legends still hanging around to see.

Also a pretty good jazz music label (Blue Note Records). According to Wikipedia, there are several branchs of the BNJC in other locations, including Japan, Italy, China, Slovakia, Hawaii, and California.

Jun 15, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #15 of 17
SQ is not great, but these are a couple vids I was watchin this morning in reference to this topic.

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers in Tokyo, 1961. Lineup includes Lee Morgan on Trumpet, Wayne Shorter on sax, "Moanin" composer Bobby Timmons on keys, Jymie Merritt on bass, and Art on drums.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back