Light comfortable headphones for someone with very large ears?
Jan 7, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #16 of 21
How about Beyerdynamic cans? I have avoided them because I'm treble sensitive but their TYGR 300 R apprently doesn't have that problem.

Nope. Definitely exclude Beyerdynamic.
The average males ear height is 63mm and Beyer cups are only 58mm. Also their driver is flat so there wont be enough depth.

Your best option at a reasonable price will be the Sennheiser HD5XX series. For best sound, if you can’t use prametric EQ (through PC/Android software or external hardware DSP) then you should grab a HD560s. If you can use PEQ, then just pick one which Oratory1990 has already measured.

If you want a gaming headset, another option might be the PC38X and PC37X. Although I haven’t tried these myself.

Lastly, for a closed-back headset.. I actually find the Cooler Master MH751’s to be reasonably comfy. They have angled drivers and decent enough internal space... although definitely more snug than the HD5XX family.

Jan 7, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #18 of 21
I wouldn't trade the HD650 for the world but while they have the size they don't have the depth

Yeah the HD6X0 family is hard to recommend. They have nice padding and good height, but both my ears touch from covering the drivers. On the plus side, at least there is foam there and not hard plastic like the K371 and many other headphones.

Jan 7, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #19 of 21
I have a large head and ears that stick out as well. I used to use my K7XX for gaming sessions. They have a light clamp force and soft cups, although my ears didn’t completely fit inside them, they’re comfy and breathable. I’ve read the Audio Technica offerings fall into this category of light comfy headphones as well

Jan 8, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #20 of 21
MrSpeakers Aeon stock cups are pretty deep, and comfortable because they're designed to sit on the ridge at the front of the ear. Maybe not large enough diameter, but they're my main can during the day and I don't get ear fatigue. I also agree K7xx or K701 are really comfortable with big cups. Stay away from Beyerdynamic and Grado.

Hifiman HE4xx don't sound great but have decent cup sizes.

You can also look at replacement pads for any existing headphone. There are lots of options.

The MrSpeakers Mad Dogs (discontinued) have luxurious cups, deep and big. They sound great too. A pair of Fostex T50RP + after market pads would get you close.

Jan 8, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #21 of 21
For your search process keep in mind that Mr speakers is now called Dan Clark Audio but I agree that the DCA Aeon seems quite deep i.e. when I see it on peoples heads it sticks out quite a bit. I’ve also heard quite comfy. Cheapest option there would be DCA Aeon RT (meaning Re-tuned to more harman curve) i think this is about $ 500 right now on their website. Oh but maybe not a good option if you’re in europe.

shure srh 1540 is also very very comfortable, very light, amd on the deeper side, but not sure how deep. I think the aeon rt is probably a bit deeper. These go for about $ 400 right now i think. Not sure prices in europe

Both of these are closed backs though with an open soundstage. Shure 1540 has a good tuning for long listening sessions. I personally love it, even mids to treble and slightly/moderately elevated bass. Lacks a smidge of air for my taste but it’s a closed back so ya know, whatever i have 6xx’s for that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back