Like SA5000 but better..?
Dec 14, 2012 at 10:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Magsy

100+ Head-Fier
I've read through some previous but I'm still not sure which direction to go. My experience with the SA5000 is like most others...mixed :)

I tried a pair I was recabling for someone and laughed openly with my GF about how bad they were for $400-500. I sent them back to the owner and plugged my HD650 back in...err..um...eww! Solution was to buy SA5000 myself and I've been mostly happy. I always planned to swap phones based on source material but in all honesty the HD580 and 650 hang there with the SA5000 plugged in most of the time. I find the Sens too thick and dark now, polite but not forward enough in the mids. Prefer the 580 to the 650 I think..

I have a huge balanced B22 and some decent sources, I've tried a lot to tame them but it can't be done. I love them and hate them! I don't have a problem with bass, there is enough and it hits hard, you soon get used to the lack of depth. The vocal performance is amazing, a strong female accoustic makes you melt. The issue is of course the prickly high end which can make Top 40 stuff painful, you can only listen to good recordings so often and we all love a bit of RhiRhi
L3000.gif

I've been out of the scene a bit so I've missed the whole HIFI-Man and Adueze bandwagon, plus the HD800. So I want something with the get up and go of the SA5k but a slightly gentler high. Price needs to be sub $2000, which way to go?

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #2 of 7
I always figured a warm tube amp with slightly rolled off highs would be a good match for the SA5000 but haven't had a chance to try it out myself. Also been looking at the CD900st which was designed specially for studio use in Japan and is probably the most detailed headphone Sony makes after the SA5000. More balanced sound but it's closed so you would lose the soundstage of the open SA5000. With your budget, maybe a Beyer T1? Sennheiser HD800? Hifiman HE500? Those would be the first ones I would check out under $2000.

Dec 14, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #3 of 7
Good luck in your quest my friend. I owned the SA5000 for many years and have yet to find anything that matches the natural timbre of the midrange. Let me know how it goes. Definitely check out the HE500 and HE-6 from HiFiMAN. Try out the HD800 too. You know, the sonic signatures are not similar at all, but the LCD stuff is very natural in the midrange. 

While my TH900 and Signature Pro sound much better overall to me, the timbre of the SA500 is still king. You'll be hard-pressed to top that. 

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #5 of 7
I've always thought of W5000 as warmer, more delicate version of SA5000, same level of details but less analytical and juicier. They are amp and fit sensitive though.

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Good luck in your quest my friend. I owned the SA5000 for many years and have yet to find anything that matches the natural timbre of the midrange. Let me know how it goes. Definitely check out the HE500 and HE-6 from HiFiMAN. Try out the HD800 too. You know, the sonic signatures are not similar at all, but the LCD stuff is very natural in the midrange. 

While my TH900 and Signature Pro sound much better overall to me, the timbre of the SA500 is still king. You'll be hard-pressed to top that. 

+1, The SA5000 with my Phonitor sounds really, really good.

Dec 15, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #7 of 7
I ran my SA5000 with a nice and warm M^3 upgraded, and with a sub-bass boost. Worked out pretty well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back