Linux users unite!
Dec 5, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #61 of 481
Quote:
I'm not sure what you meant by that exactly, but tint2 and conky (the top taskbar and the system monitor software) are very customisable. I just kept it in a greyish color, but people have made rounded green taskbars and whatever before.

What I meant is that Openbox itself is just a window manager. The rest of the UI elements, like buttons, scrollbars etc. are drawn by either GTK (Gnome Like), or QT (KDE Like).

Normally, when you use Gnome or KDE, the window manager, panel etc is a part of the desktop environment, so the themes etc. match properly. When using openbox, the window manager is replaced with openbox, but the rest of the apps are still using GTK or QT. So, the themes and looks don't match as well, and need some work in order to make it match.

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #62 of 481
What I meant is that Openbox itself is just a window manager. The rest of the UI elements, like buttons, scrollbars etc. are drawn by either GTK (Gnome Like), or QT (KDE Like).

Normally, when you use Gnome or KDE, the window manager, panel etc is a part of the desktop environment, so the themes etc. match properly. When using openbox, the window manager is replaced with openbox, but the rest of the apps are still using GTK or QT. So, the themes and looks don't match as well, and need some work in order to make it match.

Well here's a screencap with screenFetch in my terminal

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #63 of 481
Quote:
Well here's a screencap with screenFetch in my terminal

Compositing's off? I thought it turned on by default on !#.

Quote:
How's the visual integration like? I mean, what kind of widget toolkit does crunchbang use?  The last time I tried it, it looked best with GTK+.

It's still heavily gtk, with Onyx as the openbox theme, and greybird or some other GTK3 skin, from the looks of it. Not as fun to play with as before, since they keep on squeezing all the Gnome they can in there.

Anyone have any suggestions on icon themes, new compositors? Still using the boring old Faenza and Compton.

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #64 of 481
Quote:

Compositing's off? I thought it turned on by default on !#.

It's still heavily gtk, with Onyx as the openbox theme, and greybird or some other GTK3 skin, from the looks of it. 

What's compositing and greybird 
confused_face_2.gif
 I just got the stock version and messed around with tint2 and conky.

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #67 of 481
Quote:
It's still heavily gtk, with Onyx as the openbox theme, and greybird or some other GTK3 skin, from the looks of it. Not as fun to play with as before, since they keep on squeezing all the Gnome they can in there.

I think its hard to be Gnome free, because a lot of the GTK apps are developed under Gnome. Web Browsers like Chrome, terminal based apps, and certain music players are the only ones that can be used without Gnome/KDE.

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #68 of 481
Quote:

I think its hard to be Gnome free, because a lot of the GTK apps are developed under Gnome. Web Browsers like Chrome, and terminal based apps are the only ones that can be used without either of these.

Almost got it stripped down on my rig, but my rig is horribly spartan and sparse, so maybe not the best example. Nothing gtk3 here. Compile flags for the less obvious things come a long way!

It is rather hard when you want to include popular stuff in there, but sometimes they just push stuff that barely makes it go over the edge, and sometimes they get lazy and put everything Gnome underneath for convenience, and splash some other DE on top, selling it as a different flavor. Xubuntu, Mint XFCE, and the likes.

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #69 of 481
Quote:
It is rather hard when you want to include popular stuff in there, but sometimes they just push stuff that barely makes it go over the edge, and sometimes they get lazy and put everything Gnome underneath for convenience, and splash some other DE on top, selling it as a different flavor. Xubuntu, Mint XFCE, and the likes.

confused_face.gif

XFCE is a desktop environment in its own right...so I don't think it uses Gnome, but yes, its based on Gtk2. The issues with Gkt2 and 3 are a big headache, because a lot of the apps haven't yet been ported to use Gtk3.

I think the best way to take it is to get the Arch vanilla installer, and then only install the stuff you need.

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #70 of 481
Quote:

confused_face.gif

Xubuntu is a desktop environment in its own right...so I don't think it uses Gnome, but yes, its based on Gtk2.

Look at the underlying toolsets, littered with Gnome dependencies. Gnome system tools, stuff that isn't even mandatory for integration because there's already a XFCE equivalent for it. The list goes on. Really just a XFCE in the graphical sense. I think it's more GTK3 now though. 

The lack of AIF on recent ISOs makes it way more fun to install by default (although you could have done the same thing without it). Still wish there was an automated process for UEFI stuff.

Dec 5, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #71 of 481
Quote:
The lack of AIF on recent ISOs makes it way more fun to install by default (although you could have done the same thing without it). Still wish there was an automated process for UEFI stuff.

I spent a week figuring out how to install it on my UEFI based motherboard, mostly because the bios didn't really make it clear that the cd needs to be booted in uefi mode.

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #73 of 481
Quote:
Any of you guys know about Ubunchu? It's a comic about, well, Ubuntu and other linux related stuff.

Just checked it out. The japanese can make a manga out of anything...pretty amusing though.

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #74 of 481
Fedora 17 + Gnome reporting in,
Recently I've been from crunchbang to windows 7, but the playback was clipping from my HDD, then on opensuse but I settled for fedora now.
It's been a while since I used gnome and was pretty upset about it at first but now after some tweaking it's fantastic although it's more power hungry than kde and, of course, openbox but really nice-looking.

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #75 of 481
Quote:
Fedora 17 + Gnome reporting in,
Recently I've been from crunchbang to windows 7, but the playback was clipping from my HDD, then on opensuse but I settled for fedora now.
It's been a while since I used gnome and was pretty upset about it at first but now after some tweaking it's fantastic although it's more power hungry than kde and, of course, openbox but really nice-looking.

Yeah, openbox is pretty fast as well, in terms of drawing windows, but it has no aliasing or multi colors, so the looks can take a hit.
I'll take a look at fluxbox or pekwm, they provide a little bit of eye-candy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back