Liquid Gold - 2014
Dec 8, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #781 of 808
I own the Cavalli Liquid Gold and it sounds great. The amp is powerful and easily drives the following headphones
1. DAN Clark's cans Alpha Prime, Ether 2 open back, Ether 1 open back, Ether Closed back, Aeon closed back, HE 1000 very 1, Beyerdynamic DT 880 600 OHM, and the Focal Utopia. I am amazed how great the Utopia, HE 1000 and the Ether 2 open back sound on the Cavalli Liquid Gold

Dec 8, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #782 of 808
Not to be contradictory but I’ve compared them side to side and they don’t sound or perform the same to my ears.
Thanks for following up with your actual insights. I was just parroting what Alex said when asked about that exact topic, I haven't compared the Monoprice Liquid Gold Mini to my original LAu.

I think you've also got a pair of Questyle CMA-800R Golden Reference monoblock amps there for demoing headphones at TSAV too, right? How do those compare with the original LAu?

Dec 9, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #783 of 808
Thanks for following up with your actual insights. I was just parroting what Alex said when asked about that exact topic, I haven't compared the Monoprice Liquid Gold Mini to my original LAu.

I think you've also got a pair of Questyle CMA-800R Golden Reference monoblock amps there for demoing headphones at TSAV too, right? How do those compare with the original LAu?

I think Q/style Reference is great. Very clean & detailed. However it’s a less appealing dry sound compared to the LAu. The LAu delivers stunning dynamics that the Reference doesn’t deliver as well. I’d personally take the LAu over the questyle reference master.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Dec 9, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #784 of 808
Dec 9, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #785 of 808
You might find one, but good luck. Only about 1 comes up per year.

Why don't you just go after the new Monoprice version? Alex Cavalli even commented in this thread about 6-12 months ago that it's an officially done miniaturized version and besides the power reserve for precisely the Abyss TC, HiFiMAN HE-6, or HiFiMAN Susvara, the amp will play perfectly and sound the same.
This is exactly how delusional audiophiles are, praise the LAu as best moar bettar and LAuX as a pile of dog. They are exactly the same circuit.

Never cared for either, in any case. Crimson was his best amp.

If you like the sound, the AMB B24 is a much better alternative. But also gleams how overpriced the LAu circuit is.

Dec 9, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #786 of 808
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Dec 10, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #787 of 808
This is exactly how delusional audiophiles are, praise the LAu as best moar bettar and LAuX as a pile of dog. They are exactly the same circuit.

Never cared for either, in any case. Crimson was his best amp.

If you like the sound, the AMB B24 is a much better alternative. But also gleams how overpriced the LAu circuit is.
I kind of hit the scene just after the B22 love was dying down, but it was certainly called the tippy top back then. I thought the B24 was a speaker power amp without volume control/potentiometer, though?

Anyway, yeah, I've wondered about all those DIY amps for a while, they were way more popular like 10-15 years ago. There are so many commercial options now. That new CFA3 or CFA2 are worth thinking about, but, not everyone is out for the DIY thing...

I actually heard somewhere that the LAu circuit was loosely based off a "bastardized" version of another DIY circuit. You're from these parts earlier than me, did you ever hear that or something else?

Dec 10, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #788 of 808
I kind of hit the scene just after the B22 love was dying down, but it was certainly called the tippy top back then. I thought the B24 was a speaker power amp without volume control/potentiometer, though?

Anyway, yeah, I've wondered about all those DIY amps for a while, they were way more popular like 10-15 years ago. There are so many commercial options now. That new CFA3 or CFA2 are worth thinking about, but, not everyone is out for the DIY thing...

I actually heard somewhere that the LAu circuit was loosely based off a "bastardized" version of another DIY circuit. You're from these parts earlier than me, did you ever hear that or something else?
LAu is a poorer B24. DIY doesn't have to be for everyone, but the contrary solution is you end up paying for dog doo Ray Samuels Dark Star or Wells Audio. The uninformed audio enthusiast is nothing short a fool, sadly.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #789 of 808
I think Q/style Reference is great. Very clean & detailed. However it’s a less appealing dry sound compared to the LAu. The LAu delivers stunning dynamics that the Reference doesn’t deliver as well. I’d personally take the LAu over the questyle reference master.
Thanks for the insights.

I've actually got both as well, but I've moved like 3 times since getting them and haven't had either of them in my full system yet. The move into the new, and hopefully final, house next year has been a long time coming and is going to mean a lot to say the least.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #791 of 808
When is comes to SS you're definitely right. There's so many better amps now that be found for less than $1k that don't have the handicapped wonky warm tuning which can make it a one trick pony.

The only big selling point of the LAu was the power output, but as headphones have become more efficient over the last 10 years it's lost that advantage. Really the only thing that would benefit from the LAu is the HE-6, but if you're running an HE-6 and spending over $1k, you've already figured out that speaker amps will outperform this.

Cavalli's best amps are all tube based. It's too bad the Crimson ended up with the least number of units overall, because now in hindsight it is considered the best of his amps by most.
So many factors to consider though, including a small size of units produced and individuals who've actually heard them. I've owned two separate Crimson's and all the other Cavalli amps except for a Liquid Glass. Only amp I still have left is the LAu because I liked it the best.

Dec 19, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #792 of 808
So many factors to consider though, including a small size of units produced and individuals who've actually heard them. I've owned two separate Crimson's and all the other Cavalli amps except for a Liquid Glass. Only amp I still have left is the LAu because I liked it the best.
Actually I still have an original Carbon v1, although I don't use it much. Still a great, small form factor amp with no external PSU.

Jan 5, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #793 of 808
I managed to source a 230v version locally. Had a great time listening to it tonight paired with a Metrum Onyx DAC. It has a unique sound and reminds me a lot of my old V1 Carbon, but more articulate and detailed. Also with a ton more power.

I’d argue the above assertions that it’s not a good amp / overly warm / one trick pony. I’ve had some nice gear and despite all the lifting of veils and other sonic detail wankery I’ve learned that I enjoy enjoying music. A bit of warmth and euphonics often enhance the experience for me, and this amp reminds me a lot of my WA5 but in solid state form. Just a fun, beautiful sound signature that allows you to really turn it up and enjoy the music.

8AC40474-62BF-4D80-BC3A-D7AD76C3C1D4.jpeg

Jan 5, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #794 of 808
A bit of warmth and euphonics often enhance the experience for me, and this amp reminds me a lot of my WA5 but in solid state form. Just a fun, beautiful sound signature that allows you to really turn it up and enjoy the music.

8AC40474-62BF-4D80-BC3A-D7AD76C3C1D4.jpeg
+1. My Lau and WA5 sat side by side for years. If I wasn't willing to let the WA5 warm up I always knew I could get a warm musical signature from the Cavalli right away.

Jan 5, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #795 of 808
+1. My Lau and WA5 sat side by side for years. If I wasn't willing to let the WA5 warm up I always knew I could get a warm musical signature from the Cavalli right away.

Yep, I’ve never heard a solid state amp sound like this. It’s not thick or slow at all but the sound is beautiful and rich. I didn’t always want to use the WA5 either but this makes it so easy to just turn on and enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back