Liquid Gold - 2014
Mar 30, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #797 of 808
I contacted you. Even if you did not like my quote you could have had the courtesy to reply.

Mar 30, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #799 of 808
The only one I know of in the wild is Austin over at audiophile style. I had the test mule for a few weeks Before it was released. It is fantastic. That being said I am just as happy with my Hugo TT 2 And think it is every bit as good

Mar 30, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #800 of 808
Has anyone paired their LCD-4 with a LAu?
It has a unique sound and reminds me a lot of my old V1 Carbon, but more articulate and detailed. Also with a ton more power.
That sounds for a very addicting tonality then. I had a V2 Carbon and it sounded neutral and smooth but way too congested. The Liquid Platinum sounded way more open by contrast (even negating tubes). I would love to get my hands on one for my LCD 4's. I had a custom SET amp built for them but would be nice to see how it would compare with a TOTL SS amp like this.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #801 of 808
I alternated with a Lau and WA5 or WA 33 for years. The pairing with the Lau was great but second to the Woo pairings. The warm strength of the tubeamps was my preferred signature.

Mar 31, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #802 of 808
I alternated with a Lau and WA5 or WA 33 for years. The pairing with the Lau was great but second to the Woo pairings. The warm strength of the tubeamps was my preferred signature.
Yes but the WA33 is also 3x the price and has much harder to find tubes. You basically have to rely on New Stock otherwise pray you get a non-microphonic 300B. I'd rather find a TOTL SS for those prices.

Feb 4, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #803 of 808
Does anyone know if Avenson Audio is still in business and doing CA repairs? Their website is up. I contacted them several months ago (around August) about an issue regarding static in one of the channels. The problem seemed to go away before Brad Avenson responded a day or two later. In his response, it seems like that a part may need to be checked out and replaced if necessary. More recently, sometime in October, the problem came back and I followed up with inquiry about a repair. However, it has been radio silence since then despite repeated monthly follow-up emails. I left a message last week to the number on the website (a generic Google account VM) and still no response.

Feb 4, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #804 of 808
I have had no contact with Avenson since about 2 years ago. I had the same issue of static in one channel. Avenson found the Bias was way out of adjustment in that channel. Adjustment was made and no parts were needed. Cost was very minimal.

Feb 10, 2024 at 7:17 AM Post #805 of 808
Just got hold of a mint Liquid Gold (on loan), and it's absolutely amazing. Compared to the CFA3 it's more musical, warmer mids and bass. Smaller stage, and less controlled in the sub-sub-bass. Imaging is on par, and power the HE6 plentiful.

Was surprised to read the reviews mentioning the Liquid Gold to sound neutral, as I found it to sound more on the warmer side. But that could be a result of the SINAD wars that has bloomed since this came out. My preference for sound is exactly what this Liquid Gold is presenting.

Has anyone paired their LCD-4 with a LAu?

That sounds for a very addicting tonality then. I had a V2 Carbon and it sounded neutral and smooth but way too congested. The Liquid Platinum sounded way more open by contrast (even negating tubes). I would love to get my hands on one for my LCD 4's. I had a custom SET amp built for them but would be nice to see how it would compare with a TOTL SS amp like this.
Better late than never :D But yes the LCD-4 are a perfect match for the Liquid Gold, boosting its mids to absolute bliss and giving that good bloom to the bass.

Feb 15, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #806 of 808
Does anyone know if Avenson Audio is still in business and doing CA repairs? Their website is up. I contacted them several months ago (around August) about an issue regarding static in one of the channels. The problem seemed to go away before Brad Avenson responded a day or two later. In his response, it seems like that a part may need to be checked out and replaced if necessary. More recently, sometime in October, the problem came back and I followed up with inquiry about a repair. However, it has been radio silence since then despite repeated monthly follow-up emails. I left a message last week to the number on the website (a generic Google account VM) and still no response.

Which part did he refer to that needs potential replacement?

Feb 15, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #807 of 808
Which part did he refer to that needs potential replacement?
He didn't mention a specific part. He told me, "Does the volume control make the sound louder? If not, then it would be in the amp stage after that. There were a few units where the regulators were thinner parts and over time the stress would build up and crack the part. I can’t remember what serial number range had those parts."

The volume control did not make the crackle louder.

Feb 15, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #808 of 808
He didn't mention a specific part. He told me, "Does the volume control make the sound louder? If not, then it would be in the amp stage after that. There were a few units where the regulators were thinner parts and over time the stress would build up and crack the part. I can’t remember what serial number range had those parts."

The volume control did not make the crackle louder.
The Liquid Gold is getting old since there was still a Cavalli company. I’ve only seen 2 or 3 needing service for this complaint. The assumption it’s in the amp stage is consistent with these other units requiring service. My memory tells me these repairs were varied in costs between $250-$600. I never saw any explanation of service so unfortunately I can’t comment on what the repairs consisted of.
The LG is still in today’s tech an excellent amplifier. We have 2, 1 of each iteration. I almost don’t want to sell them. I am an LG owner and user and I like it more than any other amp I have. If the LG had that satiny midrange of the McIntosh MHA200 I’d have my audio nirvana 😂😂👍🏻

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back