Listening to 192k MP3s on Senn 555s ... Is an X-Fi Platinum front jack that bad?
Feb 9, 2006 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tostada

New Head-Fier
I'm not really looking to go hardcore audiophile. I just like listening to Shoutcast and I've got tons of LAME --aps MP3s. I might get an XM online-only subscription. I listen to a lot of trance, and some of everything including symphony, industrial, rock, new age, rap, and comedy stations.

I've got some Senn 555s that I really like. I just built a new computer that's pretty decent. It's got a Seasonic 430W PSU. It's got DFI's funky Karajan audio module, which can't be much more special than any other Realtek-based onboard audio, but it can make the 555s plenty loud. Obviously things would be better with a good sound card and even better with an amp.

For me it's really convenient to be able to use the front audio connector. I'm getting really sick of having clutter around and I really like having my crappy 2.1 computer speakers plugged into the back of the computer and my phones plugged in the front.

I've got an SBLive sitting around that I was going to put in there. It doesn't take much to drive the 555s, and they're OK just on the onboard audio, but I'd like to get something a little better.

Seems like it would be great to get an X-Fi Platinum and just plug the phones into the front 1/4" jack. I'm not quite clear on whether or not there's an actual DAC in the bay module or if you're getting analog through the ribbon cable. I've seen it implied that it's a totally digital connection between the PCI card and the front module.

The X-Fi might not be amazing, but I get the feeling that any more than that might be overkill for someone listening to MP3s. I don't feel like only listening to CDs that I've ripped to FLAC, and I can't do anything about the quality of streaming audio. There are probably people here who would tell me it's already a waste to have the 555s if I'm going to listen to MP3s.

So is the front 1/4" jack on the X-Fi much worse than using the rear plugs? That'd be pretty stupid to get the Platinum and then not use the front module for anything -- and the headphone jack and its little volume knob is probably the only thing I'd ever use. Well, I do have a MIDI keyboard...

If the X-Fi Platinum can do a decent job powering the 555s and sound a little better than an SBLive, I'd probably be happy with it. Just wondering if this is a totally ignorant way to spend $175.

Feb 10, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #2 of 7
i dont think its overkill for mp3s at all. i listen to mp3s (256 or 320) alot and my gear makes them sound much better. xm radio online is another story..bad bad sound quality. i think your 175 would be well spent although personally i would just get the extreme music to save 75 bucks and switch the plugs when needed but im cheap.

Feb 10, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #3 of 7
XM's that bad? Their site says you can choose different bandwidth levels, but it doesn't say anything about what the quality would be on the highest bandwidth.

Sirius doesn't seem to even offer a discounted internet-only subscription.

Feb 10, 2006 at 7:12 AM Post #4 of 7
The jacks atleast as good as a well built cmoy.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 8:55 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ]|[ GorE
The jacks atleast as good as a well built cmoy.
evil_smiley.gif

I think ya just gave me a good idea involving a 5.25" bay cover instead of an Altoids box.

580smile.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by tostada
XM's that bad? Their site says you can choose different bandwidth levels, but it doesn't say anything about what the quality would be on the highest bandwidth.

Sirius doesn't seem to even offer a discounted internet-only subscription.

I use XM online every day, and yeah, it's pretty bad. The "normal bandwidth" stream is 32k and the "high bandwidth" stream is 64k. I use the 64k stream at work with a small set of desktop speakers. It sounds ok at low volume and is good enough for my purposes there (background music.) But with headphones and for any type of intent listening, it's really unbearable.

Feb 10, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by tostada
There are probably people here who would tell me it's already a waste to have the 555s if I'm going to listen to MP3s.

I have HD 595 and i listen only to mp3s 128-320.U forgot 1 thing- its the Headphone what do a major difference when using a same source.With PC as source u can barely notice difference between CD and mp3 128-192 (if its well made.).I dont know why people think that with high end quip. thier mp3s will sound worse.Yes, even in well made mp3 must be something missing.But there is no distortion, etc...So why the hell it should sound worse on hd595 than on some 5 bucks cans?

And in my opinion u are going to do a big mistake with $175 x-fi.Why?Cos u have spent more on sound card than on cans.Just buy m-audio revo 5.1 (from $59)which has dedicated headphone output and instead volume knob on front panel, buy yourself a multimedia keyboard with +-volume contol(prefer logitech, MS).
Or buy just basic X-fi(if u like creative,anf want few more FPS in games) I think its really waste of money to buy platinum ,if u are going to use only heaphone jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back