Little Dot MK VII?
Aug 15, 2009 at 8:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sunneebear

Headphoneus Supremus
For $399, is the Little Dot MK VII worth trying as a first balance amp?
The Rudistor NX-03 is my current amp. Will the MK VII open my ears to balanced amps or is it not worthy upgrade compared to the SE NX-03?

Thanks

Aug 15, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #3 of 12
Rudistor amps start at about $850 USD though. Lower price makes for a better price/performance ratio which drives many peoples purchasing decisions.

I recently decided to get a premium closed phone. It came down to the Denon D7000 and the JVC DX1000. The Denon won because I was able to get it for about 34% less.

There is a thread about the MKVII and I believe the opinions were positive. Whether or not is a good way to get into a balanced rig on the cheap is not clear.

Personally, I think SE or balanced can both sound phenomenal if you invest in high-quality gear that has good synergy.

Aug 15, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 12
Thanks for the input guys.

That is along the line of what I am thinking. With the Rudi (which I got an excellent deal from a member) I really think the synergy is good. As much as I enjoy the music, I am curious about balanced.

I have tried running two amps from a balanced CDP but the amps are just headphone distubution amps. The set up sounded OK but is it the same as a dedicated balance amp?

Aug 15, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunneebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input guys.

That is along the line of what I am thinking. With the Rudi (which I got an excellent deal from a member) I really think the synergy is good. As much as I enjoy the music, I am curious about balanced.

I have tried running two amps from a balanced CDP but the amps are just headphone distubution amps. The set up sounded OK but is it the same as a dedicated balance amp?

So you ran the R & L channels into two amps and put the signals back into one pair of headphones? I think I've read that this has been done by others with good results. I don't have a clue how such a set up compares to a single amp that was designed specifically for balanced signal paths though.

Best thing I can tell you is to go to a meet if at all possible. You can usually listen to a few balanced rigs.

Aug 15, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you ran the R & L channels into two amps and put the signals back into one pair of headphones? I think I've read that this has been done by others with good results. I don't have a clue how such a set up compares to a single amp that was designed specifically for balanced signal paths though.

Best thing I can tell you is to go to a meet if at all possible. You can usually listen to a few balanced rigs.

Yes but the amps are studio headphone distribution amps. They sound good just for monitoring.

Aug 15, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 12
Separating rt and left signals into separate amps did a nice job, but as the power sources share a common ground it is not poosible to separate the grounds throughout the entire chain. I had a chance to A/B my Fostex T50RP, Denon Driver Modded Pioneers, and even my C-3 Custom IEM's, which are all three re-cabled balanced (because I could).with my dual amp system and a couple of true balanced amps at Last month's Denver mini-meet and there is no comparison... The true balanced systems walked all over my DIY amp setup

Aug 16, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What headphones are you using now and/or would like to try balanced sunneebear?

SA5000, A1000X, CD3000 and HD600. These are my current favorites in that order. All can take SE or balanced cables. Though I have yet to try them balanced.

Aug 16, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Separating rt and left signals into separate amps did a nice job, but as the power sources share a common ground it is not poosible to separate the grounds throughout the entire chain. I had a chance to A/B my Fostex T50RP, Denon Driver Modded Pioneers, and even my C-3 Custom IEM's, which are all three re-cabled balanced (because I could).with my dual amp system and a couple of true balanced amps at Last month's Denver mini-meet and there is no comparison... The true balanced systems walked all over my DIY amp setup

That's what I was afraid of. Running two amps gave better separation in the channels for me but did not have any greater sonic attributes.

Oct 15, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunneebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SA5000, A1000X, CD3000 and HD600. These are my current favorites in that order. All can take SE or balanced cables. Though I have yet to try them balanced.

Will let you know when mine gets here,will be using it to drive balanced CD3000 and SA5000.
I have a pair of stock CD3000 as well,should be interesting comparing the 2 outlets.

One other point with some posters,its hard to compare a USA built and a Chinese built amp on Price Alone.If the Balanced Little Dot had been built by Rudister,its price would have been a hell of a lot higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back