Little Dot MKI or MKI+
Dec 29, 2008 at 4:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

moodyrn

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm upgrading from my lyrix, so I've narrowed it down to these. I like that you can roll the opamps in the MKI, and judging from the specs, the MKI seems to be more powerful. On the other hand the MKI+ offers improved battery life and a newer design. It is more expensive though. It would be worth it to pay a premium if it sounded significantly better than the MKI. So how does the MKI+ sounds compared to the MKI+. Please no other amp suggestions. MY budget is around 150, and both can be had for around that or less.

Jan 6, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 5
I''d be very interested to hear if anyone got any impressions of this as well, since these amps seem like a good bang for your buck.

Apr 23, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #4 of 5
If I noticed this thread sooner, I would have been able to provide a response.  I currently own both the Little Dot MKI and MKI+.  Both of versions of Little Dot's portable amplifier are excellent and have their own character.  The MKI is capable of op-amp rolling which basically means that there are customizable tweaks that can be done to the amp to provide a warmer tube-like sound character while still retaining that awesome current drive.  The MKI+ doesn't have that feature, but it does have excellent dynamics.  Both the MKI and MKI+ have excellent sonic qualities coming close to their tube-amps.  I personally use the MKI exclusively to drive my Beyerdynamic DT990 Audiophile Reference Headphones (600-ohm Version) while the MKI+ driving the AKG K701.  Moon Audio Blue Dragon Version-1 silver interconnects while I am using the Colorfly CK4 borrowed from a friend while I wait for the Little Dot DP-I to be released to the audiophile masses.

Sound stage representation, instruments separation, and overall listening experience has been excellent with both MKI and MKI+.  After upgrading the op-amp on the MKI from the stock model provided by National Semiconductor to one sample provided by Linear Technologies LT1364, the dynamics have improved in a noticeable and subtle manner while coming closer to the tube-quality of the Little Dot MK-VI that I am a proud owner of. 

Kind to think it, I am going start a separate thread titled Little Dot MKI/MKI+ appreciation and thoughts

May 8, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 5
hmm. on littledot's website
http://www.littledot.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=9&sid=0b150f51dde705fa37adf54fb293d323
I only see Little Dot MK I+ Portable Headphone Amplifier  and not the Little Dot MK I at all. I'm considering the I+ for my denon 2ks and so considering all options. Any other good amps recommended? Btw where can I take a look at the upgrades to the MK I or I+ that you guys talked about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back