LOD for iPhone 5?
Oct 3, 2012 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

xsaqzw

New Head-Fier
I picked up a set of the V-Moda M-80's (fantastic by the way) and have been looking at purchasing the E17 for my iPhone 5. I know most people run the LOD cable from their iPhone, but since they changed the dock connector on the new iPhone it will no longer work. I was wondering if anyone was making a new connector yet, or if one is in the works.

Thanks,
Nicholas

Oct 3, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 13
yeah, you need to wait for the time being. Also when you buy the E17, be careful for fakes. i fear that mine is fake.

Oct 4, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
I believe the iPhone 5 only has digital out, so you will need a DAC.

Thats quite a sweeping statement.  So far ... you cant just recommend "a dac" for the iPhone 5 , no-one has build a digital out connector yet and no-one has promised compatibility with the digital out signal that apple will probably encrypt or do something else with , its not like apple are providing you with a tosLink out or generic USB compatibility here ...

So at the moment I would recommend the new Lightning to old 30 pin dock connector that provides old fashioned Line out , and use one of the normal 30  pin LOD connectors until some company pays apple the licensing fee for creating a compatible digital connector and providing standardized output for a DAC as you suggested. 

Oct 4, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
Pretty much my deal breaker, purchased the S3 which I am playing FLAC files to my Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII. No regrets!!

Yea, I got the iPhone 5 going in fully knowing this was gonna happen, and so far i havent been too upset , i cant appreciate the nuances on my commute anyway, when i get home I dont need my phone to hear awesome music :)

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Thats quite a sweeping statement.  So far ... you cant just recommend "a dac" for the iPhone 5 , no-one has build a digital out connector yet and no-one has promised compatibility with the digital out signal that apple will probably encrypt or do something else with , its not like apple are providing you with a tosLink out or generic USB compatibility here ...

So at the moment I would recommend the new Lightning to old 30 pin dock connector that provides old fashioned Line out , and use one of the normal 30  pin LOD connectors until some company pays apple the licensing fee for creating a compatible digital connector and providing standardized output for a DAC as you suggested. 

The Lightning connector is digital only, so the Lightning to 30 pin connector would have to have a DAC in it to convert the audio signal to analog for LOD use.  

Quote from an Audioquest employee, Steve Silberman:
[size=medium]DragonFly will not work with any iOS device because it draws too much power. Keep in mind we are working on a device specifically for iOS and for Android called HummingBird and BumbleBee (respectively). These devices will also be asynchronous USB. They will also have rechargeable batteries built in so that they will not draw too much from the iOS and Droids. They should be available sometime early next year. That's all I can tell you for now. [/size][size=medium][/size]
[size=medium][/size]
[size=medium][/size]
[size=medium]Best regards, [/size][size=medium][/size]
[size=medium][/size]
[size=medium]Steve Silberman[/size][size=medium][/size]
[size=medium]AudioQuest[/size]

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

The Lightning connector is digital only, so the Lightning to 30 pin connector would have to have a DAC in it to convert the audio signal to analog for LOD use.  

It does , and i dont know what quality it is ( probably mediocre ) 

Oct 16, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #12 of 13
May 30, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #13 of 13
I have one being made by Whiplash Audio. Haven't got it yet, pics to follow when I do get it this week (hopefully).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back