longtime listener, first time caller.
Jan 13, 2024 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

cardboardnails

New Head-Fier
I have been using this site as a resource for years. I am just getting back into music listening after almost 3 years of listening to close to zero music. that break in music listening happened in part because I lost 1.3tb of stored music in the FLAC format...it really sucked.

to celebrate, I ordered fresh pads for my 80ohm DT770 pro's I have had for 7-8 years and a brand new pair of 250ohm DT990 pro's and a subscription to qobuz.

I listened to the DT990 for 4 hours last night rediscovering old favorites in Hi-Res, I like qobuz and the DT990 a alot right off the bat.

Jan 18, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 14
thanks, currently now enjoying HD tracks on both DT 770 80ohm pros (with new pads) and the new DT 990 250ohm pro's via my old 2018 LG V40 thin Q...no longer used as a phone for a few years now but kept for music listening. I had a LG V30 for music before this one as well. like most geeks I really miss the LG phone series. worried about battery life left on my V40 I pulled the trigger today on a DAP player. I really wanted to get a stationary schitt stack as I have been looking at their equipment for many years now but really needed a portable setup first and foremost. I went with and ordered the HiBy R5 Gen 2, it seemed like the best replacement for my LG V40 and the most I really wanted to spend...fingers crossed.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #4 of 14
thanks, currently now enjoying HD tracks on both DT 770 80ohm pros (with new pads) and the new DT 990 250ohm pro's via my old 2018 LG V40 thin Q...no longer used as a phone for a few years now but kept for music listening. I had a LG V30 for music before this one as well. like most geeks I really miss the LG phone series. worried about battery life left on my V40 I pulled the trigger today on a DAP player. I really wanted to get a stationary schitt stack as I have been looking at their equipment for many years now but really needed a portable setup first and foremost. I went with and ordered the HiBy R5 Gen 2, it seemed like the best replacement for my LG V40 and the most I really wanted to spend...fingers crossed.
Nice! Long time since I've checked portable audio, lost my interest about 10 years ago when my travel times to work greatly declined. Back in the day I ran with a Nationite S:Flo2 and Sennheiser PXC 450 headphones. Please let me know what your findings are between your 'phone' and DAP. And Schiit can wait, for now I can tell that it kicks ass for home use!

Jan 20, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 14
I received my HiBy R5 gen II this morning and have been listening to it all day and comparing it to LG V40. it has been a fun way to spend the day. after playing with the HiBy Gen II I will say based on initial impressions, Headfonia's review on this unit is spot on especially when it comes to the sound. that said I couldn't be happier. personally, I think you are really getting a lot for the price tag of $349...you don't seem to have to spend much less to get a lot less in terms of options with DAP's. anyway, I like everything about R5 so far and I am looking forward to getting to learn the sound signature of this unit and playing with the balanced headphone/line out options in the near future. I also ordered the cheapest pair of amazon planar IEM's yesterday to see what that 'buzz' is all about as well.

Jan 25, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #8 of 14
Actually I didn't @Albinosaurus, I bought it more because a recording studio I went to used the DT770 pros and I liked the comfort of those. Where I live it's really hot, so given these had nice earcups, I felt it was good enough and bought it online. I probably should have compared it in person at a physical shop though

Jan 25, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #9 of 14
so much for waiting til the end of the year for a short stack.

I received a preowned schiit modi 3+ and magni 3+ via ebay today.

long, boring but funny story aside I have another preowned modi 3+ magni heresy and vali 2+ coming next week as well.

and with that I have covered the upstairs/downstairs and portable listening bases.

maybe?

yep.

Jan 25, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #10 of 14

long, boring but funny story aside I have another preowned modi 3+ magni heresy and vali 2+ coming next week as well.

and with that I have covered the upstairs/downstairs and portable listening bases.

maybe?

yep.

lol. Jumping right in. Yea, you’re covered. … for now. 😈

Jan 26, 2024 at 6:38 AM Post #11 of 14

maybe?

yep.
That's all good sounding stuff. You're going to enjoy it.

Jan 27, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #12 of 14
did another 3 hours of favorite test tracks tonight with the DT990's and the newest ebay arrival that landed earlier today. If I had a leader board it would now show the preowned Vali 2 with a seasoned 6CG7 tube for the win. everything else so far has been pretty awesome on their individual merits but the Vali 2 def sounds a little different in a way I wasn't expecting and I really like it!

this unit has been discussed already a ton at length by other people with more knowledge on the subject so I will just leave it at that...I'll go back now to boucing between john prine and xxxtentacion tracks(not my test tracks).

Attachments

• IMG_20240127_190056090_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240127_190056090_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Feb 18, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #14 of 14
change of the guard already, I gifted/mailed my recently sourced (blk)heresy and (blk)modi-3 to old friend who loves music and is short on proper HP gear. He was super happy to find that package out of the blue at the mailbox on a friday! besides he turned me onto moses allison and kool keith years ago so I am just repaying the favor.

I still have the Vali-2, magni 3 and Modi-3 (all slv). I also picked up a preloved asgard 3 with the older multibit DAC card and because I like the Vali-2 so much I went ahead and ordered a brand new valhalla 2 from schiit. I would have waited longer but "last call" does end at somepoint. right? ebay pricing on a preowned valhalla 2 including shipping wasn't much less if any so new made more sense. until I find an older gen one bitfrost for a decent price I will continue to use my modi 3 for the valhalla 2.

I am really loving the sound contrast between the asgard 3 and the Vahalla 2. the soundstage just seems wider and detail just a little more noticable on those two units than the magni's and vali-2. on their own merits each unit sound awesome to me regardless.

the HiBy R5 gen 2 DAP is still getting a lot of love. the more I use it the more I like it. I realize now I wouldn't have been happy with much less in a DAP for options so I guess I made the right choice for myself. I even managed to play some downloaded sample DSD files on it yesterday. I also didn't know FooBar 2000 has a DSD plugin.

I wouldn't call it an endgame setup but I feel like I can live and grow with this setup with the asgard 3 and the valhalla 2 as the foundation. call it a blessing in disquise but i have some very recent hearing damage in one ear I still hear well, I just pick up up on sound differently in that one ear depending on the enviroment. My future music listening won't benefit from spending crazy future amounts of money on gear...one less rabbithole.

I also managered to replace vs repair my old very beat up and abused white monster n'credibles n'pulse headphones with a nice preowned pair in all black, score! they aren't the most awesome sounding headphones by far but they wear/ride really well while working construction/woodshop and EDM sounds great on them. I also replaced the cable on my really old HD280's I haven't used in 10 years...I was suprised at how great they still sound. they are noticiably a bit less fatiguing than my DT990's and way less than the DT770. I have to look into the mass driver loading mod for the beyer's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back