Looking for a <$75 Headphone to use at Work
Feb 25, 2014 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Stillhart

CanJam@RMAF 2015 Karting Champion
Hi all,

I have been perusing the headphone buying guide linked above and I'm still not quite sure what would work best for me.

I'm looking for a budget headphone for listening to music while I'm at work.  This will be nothing special, MP3's off my computer, but I want something better than the Monoprice earbuds I'm currently using.  I don't really like earbuds, I've decided.

Some more detailed needs:
  1. I want something that will be comfortable for hours at a time.  I think this means over-ear and open back?
  2. At work I listen mostly to metal, progressive rock/metal and trip-hop (think EDM but slower and more funky).  The progressive stuff gets really detailed so I'm not looking for booming, muddy bass.
  3. I'd like to not be completely isolated so I can hear a bit of what's going on around me.  I don't want my team to have to throw things at me to get my attention.

I just purchased a set of Fidelio X1's for home gaming/movies/music (still waiting for them to arrive).  I'd love to spend another bundle on something for work too, but I'm going to REALLY try to stick with the budget category.  Is that realistic?

Thanks in advance!

Feb 25, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 3
Alright, I decided to give the Sony MA-300 a shot.  I read great things about the MA-900 and figured this was probably a decent choice given that.  For $32, can't really worry about it too much.  I'll post my results here if anyone is interested.

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 3
Hi,

(Quite late, I guess)
Pioneer's SE-A1000 can be found really cheap this days.

Hope you enjoy your new headphones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back