Looking for a better basshead headphone
Apr 6, 2012 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Malevolent

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi there! I've been a lurker on this forum for quite sometime now, but never really felt that I had the relevant or constructive input to contribute. Nevertheless, I must thank you guys for helping me find some of the best headphones/earphones (within my budget). :)

Anyway, I'm just writing in to ask about an upgrade in basshead headphones. I currently own XB500, PRO700MK2 and HFI 580, and they are all excellent performers. Still, I'm looking to get a step up from these headphones, and I'm wondering what's the next logical step?

Of the 3 basshead cans, my favorite would be the HFI 580s. I love the bass impact of the Sonys, but the 580s have a lot more quality, albeit in a less head-pounding, ear-rattling fashion. The PRO700MK2s are somewhat in-between both, IMO.

I've auditioned the DT770, and I hear the quality, but not really the quantity. Is there a good can with (almost) as much bass quantity as the XB500, but in a more refined manner? I've also auditioned the XB700, and I don't think it fits what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance! :)

Apr 6, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #3 of 7
I've not tried ultrasone. I'm a denon fan and think that you'd like the d2k. Great extension and impact on the bass line. What is your budget? 

For just over $100, I hear that the M-audio Q40 has some incredible bass. I have not auditioned them though.

good luck!!

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
If you like the Ultrasone, it probably makes sense to get a higher end ultrasone later down the line.

Yep, I quite like the Ultrasone sound, if one can call it that. If any of the higher-end models sound similar (but better) to the 580, I'm sold. I've tried the 780, and that's not really to my liking, though. What do you think of the Pro750 & Pro900?

Quote:
I've not tried ultrasone. I'm a denon fan and think that you'd like the d2k. Great extension and impact on the bass line. What is your budget? 

For just over $100, I hear that the M-audio Q40 has some incredible bass. I have not auditioned them though.

good luck!!

Hey, thanks. I've tried the Denon D1100, but not the D2000. I think I might give it a try.

As for budget, I'm maxed out at around the $350 mark. The quest to get a better headphone is expensive, addictive but thoroughly enjoyable. 
biggrin.gif
 Arghhh!

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #5 of 7
If you're not in a rush, find the one you want and then lay in wait for a deal, either new or used. In my case, I decided on and hunted down a D5000; saw an open box offer at half off retail. The product upon arrival was immaculate. Got mucho value in return for some patience.

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 7
I would look into the Ultrasone pro900's and the denon d2k or 5k.

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
If you're not in a rush, find the one you want and then lay in wait for a deal, either new or used. In my case, I decided on and hunted down a D5000; saw an open box offer at half off retail. The product upon arrival was immaculate. Got mucho value in return for some patience.

Tried both the Denon D2000 and D5000 today. Bass extension and impact were very good. I wish I had more time auditioning the D5000, but I was suitably impressed with the D2000. Thanks for the advice. I'll be looking around for an offer. :)

Quote:
I would look into the Ultrasone pro900's and the denon d2k or 5k.

I only managed to audition the 2 Denon cans, but not the Ultrasone. Hopefully I'll manage to get some time with one soon. As it stands, I have a better idea on how a (higher) quality basshead can is supposed to sound like now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back