Looking for a closed headphone for rock\blues around ~$200
Feb 3, 2015 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Jmurphly

New Head-Fier
Hey there everyone one.

So I'm not exactly new to the headphone game. I've got a modest setup of a set of HM5s and a brand new Schiit Vali/Modi stack. I really like my HM5s but I'm starting to get the itch for something a bit better. I live with a couple of loud room mates so the headphones must be closed or semi closed, at least mildly isolating. As I said in the title I listen to rock/blues music. Lots of Jimi Hendrix, ZZ Top, Gary Clark Jr and Stevie Ray Vaughan. I also play games every now and again but its not a priority. Seems like a mid centric sound signature is what I should be looking for. 

I'm looking to spend somewhere around the $200 range but its flexible. Obviously the cheaper the better but ya know, bang for the buck and all that. 

Thanks in advance! Hoping to get more involved with this cool community in the near future. :)

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #2 of 14
So - I will do the classic head-fi move and ask you to increase your budget by 50%... :p

If you can go to $300, then you have the Mr. Speakers Mad Dog.

If you need to stay under $200, then the ATH-M50X is the typical recommendation.

Feb 3, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 14
AKG K550/K551, ATH-A900X, and Soundmagic HP100/HP150 are all good step ups from the HM5 in the ~$200 range. Like the HM5, they tend to be more neutral class of headphones (although each does have it's own unique emphasis). If you like the HM5 sound signature, but just want better SQ, I think any of those might work well for you.

Feb 3, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #4 of 14
I was actually looking at the AKG 550s. One thing that worried me though, is I saw people reporting their mids as "thin". If that means what I think it means than I don't know if they're the cans for me. The ATH-A900x on the other hand seem like a good option. I'm a little worries about the wonky headband but I guess I could always find them in a store somewhere and try them out. 

I've always though of the ATH-M50x as a bass headphone. I may be wrong though and they are a pretty smooth $170 at the moment. 

What about the DT-770 250ohm? I see a lot of people talking about those cans and they are about $200 on amazon. Can anyone attest to their quality as a rock headphone?

Thanks for your input!

Edit:
What's the difference between the HP100 and HP150? Just looks?

Feb 3, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 14
I was actually looking at the AKG 550s. One thing that worried me though, is I saw people reporting their mids as "thin". If that means what I think it means than I don't know if they're the cans for me. The ATH-A900x on the other hand seem like a good option. I'm a little worries about the wonky headband but I guess I could always find them in a store somewhere and try them out. 

I've always though of the ATH-M50x as a bass headphone. I may be wrong though and they are a pretty smooth $170 at the moment. 

What about the DT-770 250ohm? I see a lot of people talking about those cans and they are about $200 on amazon. Can anyone attest to their quality as a rock headphone?

Thanks for your input!

Edit:

Stay away from the DT 770.  It has very recessed mids, which means that your guitars and and vocals get sucked into the black hole.

Feb 3, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #7 of 14
  Hey there everyone one.

So I'm not exactly new to the headphone game. I've got a modest setup of a set of HM5s and a brand new Schiit Vali/Modi stack. I really like my HM5s but I'm starting to get the itch for something a bit better. I live with a couple of loud room mates so the headphones must be closed or semi closed, at least mildly isolating. As I said in the title I listen to rock/blues music. Lots of Jimi Hendrix, ZZ Top, Gary Clark Jr and Stevie Ray Vaughan. I also play games every now and again but its not a priority. Seems like a mid centric sound signature is what I should be looking for. 

I'm looking to spend somewhere around the $200 range but its flexible. Obviously the cheaper the better but ya know, bang for the buck and all that. 

Thanks in advance! Hoping to get more involved with this cool community in the near future. :)

While I know that this is Head-Fi sacrilege, my recommendation is to keep your money in your pocket.  You don't buy much more going to a $200 closed can, absent a great closeout level sale. 

To more or less echo BB--save your money for something in the $250 to $350 range.

Feb 3, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #8 of 14

Thanks for your input!

Edit:

I don't think the K550 mids are thin. I don't about what those other people thought.

Some people say that the HP100 and HP150 sound exactly the same. Some say the HP150 has a bit extra bass emphasis. Soundmagic says the drivers are the same.

As KCJag said, you don't want the DT770.

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #9 of 14
If you're willing to look at previously owned gear, you could get into a Momentum or a Crossfade m-100, which are both pretty solid cans for blues-rock. I also very much like cel's Soundmagic counsel and I'd go for the 150, personally--on the disputed bass issue.

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #10 of 14
  If you're willing to look at previously owned gear, you could get into a Momentum or a Crossfade m-100, which are both pretty solid cans for blues-rock. I also very much like cel's Soundmagic counsel and I'd go for the 150, personally--on the disputed bass issue.

Maybe the warm Momentum--if he is looking for a portable can and is OK with that sound signature.  However, the M-100 is a basshead lite can that does not go well with blues and classic rock.

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #11 of 14
I don't think the K550 mids are thin. I don't about what those other people thought.

Some people say that the HP100 and HP150 sound exactly the same. Some say the HP150 has a bit extra bass emphasis. Soundmagic says the drivers are the same.

As KCJag said, you don't want the DT770.

I just read it in some random review, so it may not be true. Is there any significant difference between the 550 and 551? Or is it just the badass new look and in line mic?

Feb 4, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #12 of 14
Maybe the warm Momentum--if he is looking for a portable can and is OK with that sound signature.  However, the M-100 is a basshead lite can that does not go well with blues and classic rock.

I'm cool with used stuff so long as it isn't torn up. I don't really need anything portable as I have a good pair of IEMs. These would strictly be for home use only.

Feb 4, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #13 of 14
The black K551 might be the one. There's a set used on amazon for $165 like new. I LOVE the look of them, theyd go great with my unibody schiit stack. Reviews here say its got great soundstage and is fairly neutral... Does anyone have any complaints about them?

Nov 19, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #14 of 14
  Hey there everyone one.

IMO you needn't spend $200 to get a really competent set of closed-back headphones that will rock out. To see what I mean, check out the "Inexpensive Chinese/Asian Brand" headphone thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/822184/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-on-or-over-ear-headphones

I own 2 of the closed-back headphones discussed there: the Yenona's & the Marantz Pro MPH-2, which cost $60 & $40, respectively (the Marantz' were heavily discounted, so you may have to wait for a sale to get that price). Either headphone has the "goods" (deep, impactful bass + some clarity in other registers + good or better-than-average comfort,) to do rock & blues well. I listen to a fair amount of blues on both...they're good for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back