Looking for a DAC/amp and $150-$200 open cans.
Nov 25, 2013 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Connahhh

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I've been listening with MDR-V6's for about a year now and like them, but I've found myself becoming more sensitive to their bright top end and resulting fatigue. I'm looking to try a pair of open cans in the $150ish range.

I will be typically listening at my desk, where a laptop would be driving them. That being said I am likely in the market for a DAC/amp as well. I looked at the e18 for portability when listening with my Note 2, but I would compromise for higher quality audio at a better price and be limited to my desk.

Any recommendations for either? My typical listening includes bands like modest mouse, radiohead, belle and sebastain, dylan, cake, lcd soundsystem, passenger, RAC, arcade fire etc. Very across the board. Not a basshead but a low end is important.

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi,

You should consider Fiio E17 (Dac/Amp) and Yamaha HPH-200. On-Ear then probably not the most confortable headphones on Earth but this are warm sounding open back headphones with nice bass response and detail.

Best Luck!

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 5
Fiio E18 is made for Android phones and tablets.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685414/preview-fiio-e18-kunlun-surprise-surprise

You should consider:

Sennheiser HD558:
Pretty neutral headphones with good soundstage and soft highs. Maybe quite weak on the bass.

Philips Fidelio L1:
This are warm sounding headphones with very nice sub bass, and dark highs. This seem to be a wise pick if you don´t enjoy bright sounding headphones. Also really well built (Aluminium cups and headband, etc)

You can read a very good review here:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/handsome-philips-fidelio-l1

It's not hard to find this headphones under 200 nowadays.

Best Luck!

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #5 of 5
The E18 has better components than the E17, the amp portion can drive better as well.
IMO the HD558's are a great value and sound pretty darned good. I have them as well as the HD600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back