Looking for a DAC to connect to JBL LSR305 speakers
Feb 2, 2018 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DJtheAudiophile

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for a DAC to connect to JBL LSR305 speakers. So far I’ve came across Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, and iFi Nano iOne Home Audio DAC. Is there another great alternative out there $200 and under? Would I need a amplifier as well? What cables would I need to connect the speakers to the DAC,

Feb 2, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 8
I have used many DACs with the LSR305. DACs under $200 don't differ much in my experience, so my general advice would be to use a cheap audio interface like the $30 Behringer UCA202 until you can afford something a bit higher-end like the $249 Schiit Modi Multibit.

The LSR305 is a powered speaker with amplifiers inside it, so you don't need an amp.

I had good results with the $49 Schiit SYS passive preamp for volume control. (The main downside is that it can make soft scratching noises when adjusting the volume due to its cheap potentiometer.)

These are the cables I used:
DAC to preamp: RCA: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2869
preamp to speakers: XLR to RCA: https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=4777

Feb 3, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 8
I also have JBL LSR305, You don't really need a specific dac, I use modi multibit it works fine.
I use sys as preamp and switch that I can turn off the speaker when I use headphone.
You can use RCA to balanced cable or XLR,
This is what I purchased: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M6A73GA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
To be honest, it is not the best way,
if you like me want to use headphone and speaker, find a decent price for a desktop console like Jotunheim,
or at least find a headphone amp with preamp that will be much easier less cable. I am so sick and tired of getting more and more cables now.
It looks really messy.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #4 of 8
I have used many DACs with the LSR305. DACs under $200 don't differ much in my experience, so my general advice would be to use a cheap audio interface like the $30 Behringer UCA202 until you can afford something a bit higher-end like the $249 Schiit Modi Multibit.

The LSR305 is a powered speaker with amplifiers inside it, so you don't need an amp.

I had good results with the $49 Schiit SYS passive preamp for volume control. (The main downside is that it can make soft scratching noises when adjusting the volume due to its cheap potentiometer.)

These are the cables I used:
DAC to preamp: RCA: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2869
preamp to speakers: XLR to RCA: https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=4777

I also have JBL LSR305, You don't really need a specific dac, I use modi multibit it works fine.
I use sys as preamp and switch that I can turn off the speaker when I use headphone.
You can use RCA to balanced cable or XLR,
This is what I purchased: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M6A73GA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
To be honest, it is not the best way,
if you like me want to use headphone and speaker, find a decent price for a desktop console like Jotunheim,
or at least find a headphone amp with preamp that will be much easier less cable. I am so sick and tired of getting more and more cables now.
It looks really messy.

Have any of you tried the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, and iFi Nano iOne Home Audio DAC with LSR305?

Feb 3, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #5 of 8
Have any of you tried the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, and iFi Nano iOne Home Audio DAC with LSR305?

No, but I have tried all sorts of DACs with it, ranging from two to four figures. I'll rank them based on my own preference, just for reference:

1. Chord 2Qute
2. Chord Mojo
3. Schiit Modi Multibit
4. JKenny Ciúnas DAC
5. JDS Labs OL DAC
6. iFi micro iDSD
7. Schiit Fulla 2, Behringer UCA202

All the DACs below #4 barely differ in sound (and the ones you listed are going to be in the same category), so you might as well take my advice:
use a cheap audio interface like the $30 Behringer UCA202 until you can afford something a bit higher-end like the $249 Schiit Modi Multibit.

Feb 3, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #6 of 8
Since you only need a dac, I would choose iFi Nano iOne Home Audio DAC,it is a dac, Focusrite Scarlett has other function which you don't really need, it also has bluetooth. most important it has spdf input/ouput.
if I would you I will add a little bit money and choose ifs black label with the power supply version.
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 not 2i4 is also one of my option because all the function he give me when I purchase the speaker.It has power supply which is a huge deal for me.

Feb 3, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #7 of 8
The thing is, in my experience, the iFi micro iDSD (used as a DAC with a passive preamp, which sounds better than using it in DAC/amp mode, at least with speakers) hardly sounds better than the $99 Schiit Fulla 2 and $30 Behringer UCA202 despite (originally) being a $499 product. And the iFi nano iOne costs $199, which is nearly as much as the $249 Schiit Modi Multibit that will give you noticeably better sound quality. That's why I said it would be better to use something cheap until you could afford a meaningful upgrade.

Feb 3, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #8 of 8
The thing is, in my experience, the iFi micro iDSD (used as a DAC with a passive preamp, which sounds better than using it in DAC/amp mode, at least with speakers) hardly sounds better than the $99 Schiit Fulla 2 and $30 Behringer UCA202 despite (originally) being a $499 product. And the iFi nano iOne costs $199, which is nearly as much as the $249 Schiit Modi Multibit that will give you noticeably better sound quality. That's why I said it would be better to use something cheap until you could afford a meaningful upgrade.
I agree.
This is the main reason I purchase the multibit, I don't want to spend big money on dac, but I want something more than a "cheap" dac.
Multibit just fit the gap. other wise I rather choose some DAC even cheaper, you can find a lot on Massdrop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back