Looking for a decent pair of headphones
Jul 30, 2012 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

firstfall

New Head-Fier
I'd like to start off by saying that I know nothing about how good a pair of headphones are. But since I'm entering university, I figured it'd be best to purchase a good pair. I've got about $200 to spend on a good pair of headphones for university. I'd prefer to spend between $180 to $200, but if it so happens there is a better fit at the expense of a slightly higher price, I'll be willing to spend it. One thing however, no Beats by Dr. Dre, I know enough to know that there are better cans out there.

Most of the time, it'll be for just simply listening to music. And then other than that, it'll be for studying at the library or at the cafe or just in my dorm, so I'm looking for a pair of cans that'll be able to last a good two to four hours without hurting my ears or my head. With that being said, I hope for decent sound isolation. I'm also a bit of a gamer too. In terms of sound quality, I don't know much nor do I have high standards. What I'm looking for is decent bass, one that gives a good punch but not too bassy, and for vocals to be clear and crisp. In terms of the highs and mids, I don't expect too much, other than that they sound as they should. I listen to pop, r&b (ballads), hip hop and dance; along with some alternative and rock occasionally. So essentially, something that'll perform well enough to cover all these genres without sounding muted or distorted. I'm not a bass-head, if anything, I'd like my mids to be more pronounced and perform better than the lows.

In terms of the headphones physically and appearance-wise, I'd like something that isn't too chunky, nothing too over the top. I prefer ear cups, but nothing too drastic to make it seem as if I've got dishes plastered to the sides of my head. In a nutshell, I'm looking for something sleek, somewhat like Ultrasones, but not necessarily that brand itself. In addition, something that won't weight down my head with an extended period of use but not light enough to feel cheap. Hopefully these expectations aren't impossible ones; but if you guys have any suggestions that may not fit all of these specifications, don't hesitate to share them, nothing is set in stone.

On a side note, would purchasing an amplifier boost the sound quality of headphones within this budget? Or would this be something that can be overlooked and not create that big of a change. I've browsed through some headphones around my budget and have seen a few that seem fit but am not sure: Ultrasone HFI 580, Ultrasone HFI 680 and AKG Q460.

Thank you very much!

Jul 30, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #11 of 16
hmm......definilty Ultrasone 580 then....amazing for dubstep/electronic, and house music... also very good at acoustics..... instrumental

Jul 30, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #13 of 16
never heard of the denon, but the difference between the 680 and 580 is that the 680 is worse, lol, the 580 has MUCH better lows , more clear mids, the only thing better about the 680 is the highs arent as harsh, but burning in the 580 will get rid of the sharp highs......

Jul 30, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #14 of 16
The HFI-580s are popular bass cans, but from what I've read Ultrasones aren't the most comfortable circumaurals. I don't want to push you in any certain direction with headphones I don't have personal experience with, so I'll just throw a few commonly recommended headphones (that fit your criteria) at you and let you do further research:

Audio Technica ATH-M50
M Audio Q40
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

There are MANY more. I'll let others fill in the gaps. My only recommendation would be the type of headphones you get: closed, circumaurals (around ears). Open headphones leak (people around you can hear what you're listening to) and don't isolate, and supra-aurals (on-ear headphones) are not as comfortable as around ears. So make sure you scan recommendations to check those 2 things.

Jul 30, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #15 of 16
i own the 580;s and yes the first time you put them on they will feel clampy, after the first day or two, they expand to your head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back