Looking for a dedicated DAC that meets these requirements
Jul 15, 2011 at 2:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

fusedpro

100+ Head-Fier
My current set-up consists of some Logitech Z-5500 (speakers), Sennhesier HD 280 Pros (upgrading to HD598 soon), a Schiit Asgard amplifier, and an HT Omega Striker soundcard. The soundcard does not have a dedicated line-out, but it does have an optical and coax line-out, so I'm thinking those will work for what I want.

I use my speakers and headphones almost equally, so messing with cables every time will be a hassle. I would like to set something up where I can have the speakers and the Asgard plugged into the DAC so I don't have to mess around with cables every time I want to switch between the two. The Z-5500s have a control pod where the cables go from there to the soundcard -- the control pod has coax, optical, and the stock coloured cables (yellow, black, green) -- all IN. The Asgard just has the standard RCA L and R on the back of it.

Is there a DAC that will allow this sort of set-up where I can have everything plugged into it and switch between my headphones and speakers with ease? If so, what sort of cables will I need and what gets plugged into where (this goes from the soundcard's coax-out to the DAC's coax-in, etc...)?

Lastly, I want the DAC to have good synergy with my current set-up. I'm guessing what I want won't come too cheaply, but I'm hoping to spend no more than $400 new or used. A pure DAC would be nice since I already have an amplifier.

Thank you for your time and help, if you couldn't tell, I'm new to this whole scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back