Looking for a good amp between $200 and $300
Jul 6, 2011 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

fusedpro

100+ Head-Fier
As the title suggests, I am looking for a good amplifier between $200 and $300, but the cheaper the better. I will be pairing the amp with some Sennheiser HD598s (which have also yet to be purchased). I would also like the amp to scale well with future headphone upgrades, but that is probably hard to judge...

I was hoping to get a used Schiit Asgard for ~$200 but all those are disappearing in the FS forum before I even get the chance. I would make a classified but it says I have exceeded my maximum allowed even though I don't have any open...

Anyways, thanks for your time and suggestions!

Jul 6, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 5
I am in market for the same and have been convinced to buy Little Dot units. My Chinese friend earning PhD in particle physics directed me to them and they are with his analysis quite credible despite the gaps in product description which I also find a fault in various American sites.

I have a Headroom portable amp that was quite inexpensive and has proven decent enough over the years (though am on my third one after losing a couple). Have used the Headroom units with the 598s which also disappeared after loaning them to my son.

So check out Headroom for sure in my humble view based on experience. I also just bought a $399 think it was from Channel Island Audio which is quite good so far.

Chinese products (just Google Little Dot amplifiers) as my high IQ grad student friend points out are very inexpensive due to material and labor costs (slave labor I gather). 

I sympathize with your position and desires have the same in trying to decide on next amp and next head of cans.

I also hope some day to have a mastery of this terribly busy site which feels like driving in San Francisco which so sane compared to Manhattan. This site is an overwhelming labyrinth with so many rules like needing to post 15 before you are granted certain privileges but like what goes on here so much except for the very narrow tech talk at times but that is the nature of the hobby, always dropping numbers and having the reader go OOh, or Ahh, or Sheesh.

So easy to get overwhelmed by what folks here recommend--but then no place like it until I start my own warm and fuzzy headphone site.

Regards, A

Jul 7, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #5 of 5
Check out the Audio-gd NFB12... excellent bang for the buck and a very high quality product from China and is $200

BTW this product will only work with digital inputs, so you can't run you ipod etc into it. It has a built in dac and amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back